Pork ribs

jimmyjazz

Pork infrastructure of choice  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Pork infrastructure of choice. Choose one.

• Baby backs
    • Spare ribs
    • St. Louis cut spare ribs

5 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

I prefer the full sparerib with the skirt (the little flap of meat on the underside edge of the membrane) trimmed - I think that's what you are describing. I like the crunchy cartilage on the "rib tip."

Oh no now you've done it.  BBQDerka is about to descend upon you like a pox and declare your entire family line anathema.  

• Like 1

Prefer baby backs myself but if you go spares a St Louis cut is the only civilized way to cook them. All those nasty bits and the chine bone is for folks that fucking boil ribs.

Rule number 1. Pull the fucking membrane. It’s easy once you figure it out. Those that don’t peel their ribs are the ones that’ll serve you shrimp with the poop vein still there. Don’t be lazy.

2 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Rule number 1. Pull the fucking membrane. It’s easy once you figure it out. Those that don’t peel their ribs are the ones that’ll serve you shrimp with the poop vein still there. Don’t be lazy.

Are you referring to Aaron Franklin?

In reading dedicated BBQ boards, there is surprisingly no consensus on this question.  I don't think Franklin's leaving the membrane intact has anything to do with a taste preference.  They are cooking spares by the case and removing the membrane adds time and labor.  I don't think most people can tell the difference one way or the other.  I usually remove the membrane when I'm doing a rack or two.  But I've left it on sometimes for other reasons, such as I'm cooking them vertically and want to lessen the chance they'll fall off the hook and into the fire.

• Hook 'Em 1

The membrane isn't the question. The 'pifane' is that these top end BBQ joints are not serving St. Louis cut ribs. Notice how the bone only protrudes from one side of the rack, if at all? They are cutting off the skirt (which is the flap of meat on the underside) and the breast bone and leaving the rest intact. The past 3-4 times I've gotten ribs down there (Stiles Switch, La BBQ, Interstellar, maybe another place) it always seemed the ribs were bigger and better rounded than the ones I make at home. I never realized that it was because they were not true St. Louis cut. Alcohol is usually involved. 

Here is an example. Not sure how to embed. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CegfqrcJSJq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

The membrane isn't the question. The 'pifane' is that these top end BBQ joints are not serving St. Louis cut ribs. Notice how the bone only protrudes from one side of the rack, if at all? They are cutting off the skirt (which is the flap of meat on the underside) and the breast bone and leaving the rest intact. The past 3-4 times I've gotten ribs down there (Stiles Switch, La BBQ, Interstellar, maybe another place) it always seemed the ribs were bigger and better rounded than the ones I make at home. I never realized that it was because they were not true St. Louis cut. Alcohol is usually involved. 

Here is an example. Not sure how to embed. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CegfqrcJSJq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

So in one of the old PBS videos, AF says he's not using STL style and shows how he cuts down spares along the breast bone and trims the flap/skirt.  I never understood how this was all that different than STL, but apparently it is?  I guess with the stuff you buy as STL, they're just running a bandsaw down the rack to remove the breast bone and skirt, but in so doing, ending up without the meat between the rib bones and the breast bone?  Is that what you're saying?  Does that meat shrink down during the cook to the point where it's just a little morsel?

Edited by dcbc

23 minutes ago, dcbc said:

So in one of the old PBS videos, AF says he's not using STL style and shows how he cuts down spares along the breast bone and trims the flap/skirt.  I never understood how this was all that different than STL, but apparently it is?  I guess with the stuff you buy as STL, they're just running a bandsaw down the rack to remove the breast bone and skirt, but in so doing, ending up without the meat between the rib bones and the breast bone?  Is that what you're saying?  Does that meat shrink down during the cook to the point where it's just a little morsel?

Yep. So this is from Serious Eats demonstrating how to trim to make them STL style. 

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__conte

If you take that top horizontal line and make it more of a 30 degree angle upward with the right end of it staying in the same spot, that is more how AF and the above mentioned places are serving them it seems. It keeps the bones from protruding as the meat cooks away and keeps most of the tips on the rack. Look at the ends of the ribs - the bone is not sticking out, it's more rounded and you can see the tips. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CXbhPuovtE1/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

I suspect most barbecue joints are buying full spares.  There is too much waste if they trim them all the way down to St. Louis cuts.  Since they are sold by the pound, they likely leave as much on as possible - trimming similar to AF.

Smoke-A-Holics BBQ sells rib tips by the pound at $8/lb and pork spare ribs for $22/lb.  I suspect they leave as much on the spares as possible and sell whatever else as rib tips.

Edited by Jerry Callo

5 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Yep. So this is from Serious Eats demonstrating how to trim to make them STL style. 

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__conte

If you take that top horizontal line and make it more of a 30 degree angle upward with the right end of it staying in the same spot, that is more how AF and the above mentioned places are serving them it seems. It keeps the bones from protruding as the meat cooks away and keeps most of the tips on the rack. Look at the ends of the ribs - the bone is not sticking out, it's more rounded and you can see the tips. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CXbhPuovtE1/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Earlier in the video, he refers to it as a Kansas City cut.  Not sure if that's really a thing.

He's taking the breastbone/sternum off, then boxing it to leave as much of that meat as possible.  Less waste.  More weight.  Better presentation than protruding bones when the meat tightens up. 

Edited by dcbc

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

^ Tired response. AF makes great bbq but it’s not the only way.

Pulling the membrane takes less than 30 seconds with a dry paper towel. 

OK.  Sorry for my tired response.  Sorry Aaron Franklin doesn't conform to your high standards.

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are you referring to Aaron Franklin?

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

^ Tired response. AF makes great bbq but it’s not the only way.

Pulling the membrane takes less than 30 seconds with a dry paper towel. 

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK.  Sorry for my tired response.  Sorry Aaron Franklin doesn't conform to your high standards.

I don't think JJ was attempting to say that Aaron's way is the only way, but rather that at Franklin BBQ they don't pull the membranes and still make excellent ribs.  This is true, and has been true of all kinds of Central Texas BBQ joints since before most of us were born.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

I actually like the part of the spare rib that’s removed to make the STL cut.  I like that flap of meat on the underside as well.  It’s the first thing I eat.  

Exactly. Why trim off some of the best rib meat? Just to make it prettier? Fuck that.  Full rack spare ribs are the way to go. 

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 5

58 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't think JJ was attempting to say that Aaron's way is the only way, but rather that at Franklin BBQ they don't pull the membranes and still make excellent ribs.  This is true, and has been true of all kinds of Central Texas BBQ joints since before most of us were born.

You said it much better than I did.  I don't see membrane on membrane off as a big deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, utee94 said:

He even says in that video I posted that he prefers membrane off.   But they were (at that time) cooking more than 60 racks per day and it was an extra step they didn't feel was worth doing at that volume.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You said it much better than I did.  I don't see membrane on membrane off as a big deal.

I don't either.  It's almost irrelevant.  Pretty much negligible bang for your buck.

18 minutes ago, dcbc said:

He even says in that video I posted that he prefers membrane off.   But they were (at that time) cooking more than 60 racks per day and it was an extra step they didn't feel was worth doing at that volume.

Yup, he says he thinks it's better without, but he's staked his business and his reputation for quality on the non-removal of the membrane, which tells us all we really need to know about the relative importance of that activity.

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't either.  It's almost irrelevant.  Pretty much negligible bang for your buck.

Yup, he says he thinks it's better without, but he's staked his business and his reputation for quality on the non-removal of the membrane, which tells us all we really need to know about the relative importance of that activity.

Yep.  It don't make a shit.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I pull the membrane for the shear joy of it.  What are we talking about again?

I pull the membranes and silver skins off other cuts, and actually ADD them onto my pork spare rib racks to double up on membraney goodness.  Next level shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 racks on right now. I had two STL racks in the freezer and I bought a whole rack and left that one intact after removing the breast bone and cleaning it up a little. Temps crept up to 300 while I was at the gym and they were already getting too much color so I had to wrap them 2 hours in. Let's see how they turn out. I'm thinking these might be done around the 4-4.5 hour mark.

On 7/4/2022 at 10:50 AM, Baboontyme said:

3 racks on right now. I had two STL racks in the freezer and I bought a whole rack and left that one intact after removing the breast bone and cleaning it up a little. Temps crept up to 300 while I was at the gym and they were already getting too much color so I had to wrap them 2 hours in. Let's see how they turn out. I'm thinking these might be done around the 4-4.5 hour mark.

How'd they turn out?

I did pretty much the same thing yesterday, for the 4th I was doing 2 racks of pork spares along with 2 racks of beef short ribs, so since the beef went on earlier, I had the pit around 285 rather than my usual 225 for pork, when the pork spares went on the pit.  I cooked them for 2 hours before wrapping, instead of 3, and they turned out perfect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

How'd they turn out?

I did pretty much the same thing yesterday, for the 4th I was doing 2 racks of pork spares along with 2 racks of beef short ribs, so since the beef went on earlier, I had the pit around 285 rather than my usual 225 for pork, when the pork spares went on the pit.  I cooked them for 2 hours before wrapping, instead of 3, and they turned out perfect.

They turned out really good. A little dark as you can see but the consistency was perfect.  I'm a sucker for the TPJ rib candy that Champ turned me on to years ago. I finished two racks with a glaze of mango hab rib candy and one with a light glaze of Stubbs sweet heat. The mango hab won going away per the crowd. If I can find whole racks going forward I'm definitely doing them this way. I finally got my big ass spare rib at home like I can get in Austin. I was happy. I didn't want to bust my phone out when serving but they were really nice looking. 

PXL_20220704_180732640.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

On 6/29/2022 at 3:27 PM, Dutch said:

I've pulled the membrane, and I've left it.  For whatever reason, on my cooker, I tend to get better results when leaving it. That said, I'm sure others get better results when removing it.

I always pulled the membrane until I saw this Chud's BBQ video. He talks about the membrane starting about the 4 minute mark.

• 4 weeks later...

Need some advice.  I have a rack of spare ribs on the BGE at 275.  It's been a couple of hours and it's already temping at 170.

Does it stall like brisket?

I'm gonna bring the temp down on the egg and hopefully that will help.

Thoughts/advice?  

49 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Need some advice.  I have a rack of spare ribs on the BGE at 275.  It's been a couple of hours and it's already temping at 170.

Does it stall like brisket?

I'm gonna bring the temp down on the egg and hopefully that will help.

Thoughts/advice?  

They probably do a little.  I usually don't temp probe ribs.  I just cook them until the meat starts to pull back on the bone, then give them the bend test when they look like they are ready.  I usually cook a little lower temp.  So bringing it down sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

• Hook 'Em 1