corporate on comedy central

henrygandorf

I've watched every episode, and I still can't figure out what the show is trying to say. Work is miserable, let's make depression/suicide jokes for 22 minutes every Wednesday at 9:30?

There's no redemptive arc, the characters haven't grown, and there are entire episodes that are just so dark that they aren't funny.

My favorite episode is about email tone. Really funny demonstration of how people misinterpret work emails.  Season 2 Episode 4, "Thanks!"

The show is a creative rift on The Hudsucker Proxy, and worth a shot if you haven't seen it. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My favorite episode is about email tone. Really funny demonstration of how people misinterpret work emails.  Season 2 Episode 4, "Thanks!"

this one is fantastic.

the wife and i have the discussion about exclamation points in emails all the time, typically when i'm proofing one for her to send.  it's the ever-present struggle - "if i use three exclamation points, i sound like a psycho, but if i only use one, i sound like an asshole."

the fact that his whole attitude about life changed when his key broke was great.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

this one is fantastic.

the wife and i have the discussion about exclamation points in emails all the time, typically when i'm proofing one for her to send.  it's the ever-present struggle - "if i use three exclamation points, i sound like a psycho, but if i only use one, i sound like an asshole."

the fact that his whole attitude about life changed when his key broke was great.

I’ve spent countless hours in my office proof reading my coworkers’ emails. This one hit close to home. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve spent countless hours in my office proof reading my coworkers’ emails. This one hit close to home. 

i need to rewatch the episode, but the way they exchange emails in real time, when he replies "thanks" or "sure" and the two executives are losing their minds like, "that email was like a hate crime."  "he took a big ole shit in my inbox."  i may have to watch today.  cracks me up.

21 hours ago, Bartles said:

Been with this show since day 1, even started a thread here back then. My LOL rate at whatever Christian DeVille (Lance Reddick) says is pretty close to 100 percent, and Grace (Aparna Nancherla) isn't far behind

Agree.  Reddick's performance is sublime

On 7/30/2020 at 7:59 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Work is miserable, let's make depression/suicide jokes for 22 minutes every Wednesday at 9:30?

There's no redemptive arc, the characters haven't grown, and there are entire episodes that are just so dark that they aren't funny.

You've sold me. I need to check this out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

You've sold me. I need to check this out.

Honestly, I’d say “Thanks” is the only episode worth watching. Funny throughout,  somewhat realistic, and doesn’t labor under the dark for the sake being dark that show seems to be going for. 

I think this show should have been 5 minute YouTube shorts. I think the jokes would work better in that format.