Trump’s absence from John Lewis ceremonies "irrelevant." Is it?

Bama Llama

But it is relevant.  How can anyone justify voting for this asshole when he won't even pay respect to John Lewis?  On a related issue, has anyone ever changed their presidential vote because of something they read on the internet?  Jay-sus, Mary and Joseph.

It would be weird if Trump did attend.  Having such a racist asshole, fresh off another woeful abuse of power, would completely overshadow the dignified service.  Now the media and the attendees can focus on what's right about John Lewis' life, and not have to be distracted by this clown and his roving circus of grifting morons who think BLM is what Eric Trump and his wife are into on the weekends.  

“I gave him the kind of funeral that he wanted, which as president, I had to approve,” Trump said. “I don’t care about this, I didn’t get a thank you — that’s okay. We sent him on the way. But I wasn’t a fan of John McCain.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Not attending the memorial ceremonies of John Lewis and John McCain is the smartest and most compassionate thing he's ever accidentally done.

When you're right, you're right.  Reflecting on your comment and some others above, I am inclined to agree.  Trump may be a narcissistic, psychopathic assclown, but this was at least an unhypocritical decision.  I need to stop posting before finishing the morning coffee.

• Like 1

When you're an overtly racist white supremacist promoting type of president then you don't acknowledge influential black people. Anyone who would vote for Trump today is racist and either hated Lewis or would have hated him if they knew who he was. 

• Like 2

Having watched the eulogies I can't imagine how the tone in the church would've changed. He'd make it about him (Trump) and I can only believe there would be a nasty reaction.

I felt the eulogies from Bush and Clinton were nice. The note from Carter was warm. President Obama took it to the next level. He's a masterful speaker and it got dusty where I was watching from.

The man's a racist. It is known. He is a clownshow and would have distracted from the rememberance of a great man. His approval rating probably improved by not attending. Because our country is full of racists who like that racist piece of human garbage.

I'm glad he didn't sully the proceedings with his presence.  But sad that our president is such a vile piece of shit that I'm grateful he couldn't be bothered to so much as tweet a few nice words upon the death of a Civil Rights icon.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

It would be weird if Trump did attend.  Having such a racist asshole, fresh off another woeful abuse of power, would completely overshadow the dignified service.  Now the media and the attendees can focus on what's right about John Lewis' life, and not have to be distracted by this clown and his roving circus of grifting morons who think BLM is what Eric Trump and his wife are into on the weekends.  

This is in in a nutshell.  Of course Trump wasn't welcome and would have been a distraction. 

The issue of course, is the kind of scumbag who would, by his actions and words, make himself unwelcome at functions related to a celebration of John Lewis life.  Trump is a grotesque scumbag.  Fuck allowing him to interact with decent people.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Imagine Trump giving a eulogy. He’s incapable of doing it.

John was a tremendous man. He spent his time doing... [muffled gargle] I didn't really know him that well, but he was a tremendous man, everyone liked him. But they don't like me. I guess it's because of my personality. But he was a congressman working for me, you know that right? We did more in 3 years than any other administration in the history of the United States, but the lamestream media won't tell you that, because they're corrupt. Even FoxNews is just fake news these days.  [Taking sip of water with two hands]  I wish John had met that great doctor that I tweeted about, what's her name (aide whispering in his ear) Yes, Stella Immanuel. I hear that she thinks hydroxychloroquine can cure cancer, if you can somehow inject it inside your body. Can you do that? We should look into that. Well, my time is up. I have many meetings, many many meetings, we'll be meeting about the best infrastructure projects, the most beautiful projects. I'm sure when you check the ratings, by me being here, the ratings will be higher than anything you've ever seen before. To the family of Congressman Lewis, I wish them well.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I thought this said imagine giving Trump's eulogy. Oh man, would that be fucking awesome. 

"I would like to begin the proceedings today by asking that everyone bow their heads... Then grab the shot glasses under your chairs and let's get this party started!" 

Holy shit, is that real?  

It’s so incredible how many times Americans have had to ask this question over the last four years.

I think it should be the subhead on the chapter about the Trump presidency in future history books.

Donald J. Trump, 45th President, 2016-2020 : Holy shit, is that real?

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

It’s so incredible how many times Americans have had to ask this question over the last four years.

I think it should be the subhead on the chapter about the Trump presidency in future history books.

Donald J. Trump, 45th President, 2016-2020 : Holy shit, is that real?

Except that Trump was not President in 2016, Obama was.  Although I like your optimism that he dies in office before the end of this current calendar year.  I figure 2020 owes us a solid. 

I think that Biden was invited, but respectfully declined because he knew that would make Trump either show up or hold some press conference at the exact time the networks were airing the funeral proceedings.  And that would have taken attention away.from the  honoring of Lewis.  Baffles me though that he's gotten out three times to play rounds of golf since Lewis died, but he couldn't be troubled to make the short drive up to the Rotunda to pay his respects when his body was lying in State.  The last great titan of the 60's Civil Rights movement (nevermind a tenured and respected Congressman) passed away and not only did Trump not bother to pay a visit to his body in D.C., he didn't even know who he was until he died.  

On 7/30/2020 at 9:14 AM, smuggs said:

“I gave him the kind of funeral that he wanted, which as president, I had to approve,” Trump said. “I don’t care about this, I didn’t get a thank you — that’s okay. We sent him on the way. But I wasn’t a fan of John McCain.”

Such a heart felt eulogy.  You can just feel the emotion.

Trump was right not to attend. He was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position. But that position was of his own making, and he should be condemned for being such a shithead that avoiding the funeral of a statesman became the right thing to do.

I wonder if he will attend Cain's. While Cain drank the Trump koolaid, I would bet that his family doesn't view Trump so kindly.