Fuck cancer

Well we got some bad news last week regarding my daughter's fiancé, Gavino. He is just 22 and the diagnosis is leukemia. He is a great kid and has been so good to my daughter and I am honestly still in a bit of shock over it.  He has been admitted at a Dallas hospital and already begun chemo treatments. We set up a gofund me account in his name. Any little bit you can give would be greatly appreciated.  

I hope this is ok with the mods to post this here

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cancer-treatment-for-gavino-hurtado

Edited by immortal13
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I know very little about cancer from experience, and not much more based on what I've read over the past several years.  But my understanding is that the leukemia treatments and mortality rates are better than they were a decade or more ago, so hoping he's got a good shot to beat this.  In any event, very sorry for you and your daughter.  Hope you can be there for them as best you can in these times.

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I know very little about cancer from experience, and not much more based on what I've read over the past several years.  But my understanding is that the leukemia treatments and mortality rates are better than they were a decade or more ago, so hoping he's got a good shot to beat this.  In any event, very sorry for you and your daughter.  Hope you can be there for them as best you can in these times.

I've done a little research recently on this type of cancer( acute lymphocytic leukemia), it seems that his chances of survival would be much better if he were a child. At age 20 and over, the survivability rate beyond 5 years is between 30-40%, so the outlook is not very good.

2 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Well we got some bad news last week regarding my daughter's fiancé, Gavino. He is just 22 and the diagnosis is leukemia. He is a great kid and has been so good to my daughter and I am honestly still in a bit of shock over it.  He has been admitted at a Dallas hospital and already begun chemo treatments. We set up a gofund me account in his name. Any little bit you can give would be greatly appreciated.  

Sorry to hear this. Fuck cancer. Tell him to kick its ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey everybody, Gavino is home now and doing as well as can be expected. He got the shaved head treatment and it looks good on him. He is weak and very tired, but he is in good spirits.  His family are a hard-working bunch l, but they are definitely not a wealthy one. Please donate a little if you can.  Thanks

He sends his sincere thanks for all the donations and the well wishes, from Jacksonville TX

• Hook 'Em 2

So Step mom beat cancer. We thought. Just found out she has Stage 4 metastatic cancer pretty much every where. 

Woman is a bad ass and kicked ass her entire life. Treated me like her kid and stood next to me through my divorce, always there to support me and the kids. 

This sucks. I want a beer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So Step mom beat cancer. We thought. Just found out she has Stage 4 metastatic cancer pretty much every where. 

Woman is a bad ass and kicked ass her entire life. Treated me like her kid and stood next to me through my divorce, always there to support me and the kids. 

This sucks. I want a beer. 

Damn.

• 2 years later...

I am heartbroken this morning.  A dear lifelong friend, who I’ve been very close with for 45 years, passed away last night from brain cancer.  We knew it was coming, but it doesn’t make it easier.  Cancer is a fucking cunt.  He has been a huge source of support for me as we’ve shared our cancer journeys together.  His was always a much worse diagnosis, but we’ve leaned heavily on each other.  I will miss him dearly. 

• Like 9

• 1 year later...
37 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Brain cancer… my MIL got the diagnosis today. If there is some nightmare fuel it is Glioblastoma. She is 70, and usually people in her family live to mid-late 90s. Average 5 year survival rate for this kind is 1%.

Very sorry to hear, Bear.   Especially after losing your close friend a few weeks ago.   T&P for you and your Family.

• Like 1

What happened?

Brain cancer… my MIL got the diagnosis today. If there is some nightmare fuel it is Glioblastoma. She is 70, and usually people in her family live to mid-late 90s. Average 5 year survival rate for this kind is 1%.

Just terrible luck. I’ve been around this one and it can get ugly. You have to be strong for your wife. Prayers for your family.
  • Like 2

Just terrible luck. I’ve been around this one and it can get ugly. You have to be strong for your wife. Prayers for your family.

Thank you.

She is still in ICU at Houston Methodist but I’m hoping she gets a “bucket list” period of time to see everyone that matters. She is one of the nicest, sweetest, most loving humans I’ve ever met and is my wife’s best friend. She and her mom are close like I was with my dad before he passed.

I would trade places with her if I could.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:51 PM, BearSchlong said:

So sorry to hear this.  Praying she pulls through! 

• Like 1