New Go-Go's documentary

Gil Bang

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I always thought Gina Schock was the best looking Go-Go, but she didn't get the attention the others did because she was sitting back behind the skins.

Yeah, she didn't age quite as well.  She was the funniest by far, though.  Cracked me up several times in the documentary.

On 8/3/2020 at 2:18 AM, Herpa Derpa said:

There is no punk genre without the Ramones.

I think that's probably going too far.  There was already a punk genre when the Ramones formed in '74.  But it's safe to say that the genre would have developed quite differently had the Ramones never formed.

Everyone's got a favorite it seems.. Kathy Valentine for me.

I don't underrate pops songs at all. Am I going to listen to a Go-Gos album from beginning to end? No. But a Go-Go song comes on the radio, i am gonna leave it on and tap my feet all the way through.

Coke - yeah, sure, i knew. Heroin? - I was surprised by that.

Good doc. Love seeing the earlier LA Punk scene valued.

Cold blooded firing the original bassist right on the cusp of major success - but then again i don't think she would have been happy going forward with where the band was headed.

Not the first time songwriting credits (and the money that comes with it) has caused a band to break up. Funny quirk to think Belinda Carlisle was among the lowest paid.

Edited by yoladu

20 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Not the first time songwriting credits (and the money that comes with it) has caused a band to break up. Funny quirk to think Belinda Carlisle was among the lowest paid.

Yeah, I don't think it's all that common for great songwriters to start a band and cede the lead vocal duties to someone else.  She's a pretty bad singer, with horrible pitch, but she's cute and has a ton of charisma, so there you go.

44 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Cold blooded firing the original bassist right on the cusp of major success - but then again i don't think she would have been happy going forward with where the band was headed.

The doc brushed over this--just a remark or two about her being "sick"--,but the original bassist (Margot Olavarria) was seriously ill with hepatitis A. She was also more of the hard core punk and probably junkie. Wasn't she the one who spotted Charlotte heading down to Alphabet City in NYC to score some smack?

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad

• 1 month later...