This should work out well - No parties at UT this fall?

DalTxHornFan

UT official: No parties, on or off campus, are allowed for fall semester

Good luck with that policy.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200731/ut-official-no-parties-on-or-off-campus-are-allowed-for-fall-semester?fbclid=IwAR04WDsb_sI8sVZC_GgS0FaOS-8O2oFOoHuip-vlHnJQgD2ggT5LL9pQK9I

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Spring semester, freshman year, I got put on probation. Not scholastic or academic probation, but behavioral probation. Because I got hammered and was walking back from West Campus to Jester at 4 am and a police/security guard detained me, took my information and two weeks later I had to go to a meeting and take this punishment. Didn't even know you could do that or that was possible, but essentially I just had to stay out of trouble and do an alcohol class (with like 8 other students) and the hold would be lifted.

I can foresee UT trying to enforce their no parties rule like that, maybe?

Also, this seems like bad form to announce this policy 18 days before school starts, deposits have been made, etc.

This seems like a big input to have known to gauge whether you wanted to potentially defer enrollment and do a gap year, as I'm reading is what a higher percentage of incoming freshman are doing, or jump in for this no fun, zoom-only, online learning for 75% of the premium of a flagship school.

Heck, you could at least just knock out 30 hours at a community college to transfer in for 2021 when there is a vaccine, for a fraction of the cost and at an easier path to a good grade if you knew you weren't going to be able to grow socially.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Spring semester, freshman year, I got put on probation. Not scholastic or academic probation, but behavioral probation. Because I got hammered and was walking back from West Campus to Jester at 4 am and a police/security guard detained me, took my information and two weeks later I had to go to a meeting and take this punishment. Didn't even know you could do that or that was possible, but essentially I just had to stay out of trouble and do an alcohol class (with like 8 other students) and the hold would be lifted.

What year was this!?! 

16 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Serious question.  How does the University have any authority whatsoever for activities that are off campus?  Are you saying UT is banning parties at apartments on Riverside or Far West?

UT used to have a policy that banned freshmen from having cars, even off campus.

16 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I got caught with a flask at the stadium when I was in law school.  It might have even been the UH game in 1990.  I got put on double secret probation for my last semester.  At age 25.

Violation of university rules, but they can do it for other lawlessness, as well.

13 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yep, I can’t imagine going to UT this year. No, or very little, football; no parties, mostly online...seems like an expensive waste.  Gap year or ACC or internship would all be more appealing.

Yea I would be working for sure, but paid internships are tough to come by right now given the current market conditions. Probably better off finding some sort of hourly job and cranking out as many hours as you can to put some money away for the future. 

14 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Yea I would be working for sure, but paid internships are tough to come by right now given the current market conditions. Probably better off finding some sort of hourly job and cranking out as many hours as you can to put some money away for the future. 

,,,, Said no 18 year old ever

• Like 1

I am really starting to appreciate my Gen X childhood, high school and college experience. 

1. Grew up with 80s cartoons (still the best decade of cartoons)

2. Grew up with 80s music (still the best decade of music)

3. Experienced the advent of home video games from atari 2600 to Nintendo to PS4

4. Experienced the internet from its beginning

5. Could still be a teenager and do teenager things without it being broadcast to the rest of the world. 

6. Tuition was $1100 for a 15 hour semester and a PELL grant covered all of it.

7. No bans on parties

8. Fucked a lot of chicks

All in all, Id say a pretty good time.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

I am really starting to appreciate my Gen X childhood, high school and college experience. 

1. Grew up with 80s cartoons (still the best decade of cartoons)

2. Grew up with 80s music (still the best decade of music)

3. Experienced the advent of home video games from atari 2600 to Nintendo to PS4

4. Experienced the internet from its beginning

5. Could still be a teenager and do teenager things without it being broadcast to the rest of the world. 

6. Tuition was $1100 for a 15 hour semester and a PELL grant covered all of it.

7. No bans on parties

8. Fucked a lot of chicks

All in all, Id say a pretty good time.

Shit, my last semester in 91 it was $500.  It more than doubled in the next 7 years apparently.  I remember when I started on campus people were still pissed tuition had just gone up by 50%, from $8 an hour to $12.

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yep, I can’t imagine going to UT this year. No, or very little, football; no parties, mostly online...seems like an expensive waste.  Gap year or ACC or internship would all be more appealing.

Not sure if you’re familiar with the new brand of UT student. The nerdy types won’t be bothered by any of that too much.

5 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Shit, my last semester in 91 it was $500.  It more than doubled in the next 7 years apparently.  I remember when I started on campus people were still pissed tuition had just gone up by 50%, from $8 an hour to $12.

People shit themselves about that tuition raise, 4 to 8, to 12.  I was in on the 4.  First semester, with athletics, lab fees, publications was $375.

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I got caught with a flask at the stadium when I was in law school.  It might have even been the UH game in 1990.  I got put on double secret probation for my last semester.  At age 25.

Violation of university rules, but they can do it for other lawlessness, as well.

A friend of mine got popped like that when he was in undergrad, did his time, and forgot all about it...It came back to bite him in the ass when he enrolled in law school and checked "no" on the "have you ever been suspended by the University" because he really did just forget about it. He got busted with a flask in his boot, the stadium cop made him out it out, he was turned away from the game (or maybe he wasn't), and his name went into some file and that was pretty much it....But then this popped up and he almost had to hire a lawyer so that he could get into law school. 

On 8/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, BurntEyes said:

I would have bitched and moaned to be sure... But I, like a lot of folks here, would have likely had my most productive year were I going this year... So.. 

Online would have been an absolute waste of a year for me, as an engineer.  Absolutely no way I would have paid for that.  If it fell early in my career and I still had any liberal arts or social science credits to knock out, I'd have taken them at ACC.  Otherwise a gap year or even an unpaid internship would be more valuable than attempting online.  

I have no idea how you manage most of the labs through online, just not really possible.

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Oh, either I misunderstood or didn't make my point clear.

I wasn't talking about only online. That's a different flavor and I agree. In fact, I probably would have done much worse.

I was talking about a reduced engagement year where there are fewer parties and bars open due to Covid. Which, based on the images I saw from the BLM in Austin thread isn't really the case.

Basically, I partied too much.

Though your question about labs is interesting and one I might bring up with some of my clients out of curiosity.

The medical side of I know some of what they are doing but not details.

Ahhh, I get it.

Yeah, totally agee.  IF there were actually any way to enforce the "no party" thing, then I likely would end up doing better, as well. :)

What would have REALLY helped me, would have been a complete closure of The Posse and The Crown and Anchor.  Woulda saved me a ton of cash, too!

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Ahhh, I get it.

Yeah, totally agee.  IF there were actually any way to enforce the "no party" thing, then I likely would end up doing better, as well. :)

What would have REALLY helped me, would have been a complete closure of The Posse and The Crown and Anchor.  Woulda saved me a ton of cash, too!

I used 18 months of free credit to pay for my Crown and Anchor tab among others. How Chase gives a kid $14k credit limit still amazes me. 

I did have to live at home for 4 months or so to pay that down once I graduated. It was worth it. 

On 8/1/2020 at 8:49 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Damn...never got caught getting booze into DKR, Erwin Center, or Cotton Bowl. One good trick was using a  saline solution bottle and fill it with vodka and then have a girl carry it in her purse. No way it would work now though. 

Some of the dorm management had some issues with my alleged behavior,  but as the saying goes..."never convicted ".  

Edited by Dennis Taylor

6 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I used 18 months of free credit to pay for my Crown and Anchor tab among others. How Chase gives a kid $14k credit limit still amazes me. 

Long CSB below, tl;dr  back in the 90s the BK  laws were a lot different than now- sorry Gen Y...

one of my classmates  (cant remember his name) that I shared like 6 classes with over the years (same LibArts major) ended up in a psychotic amount of debt by the beginning of our 2rd year.  We had an economics class that semester and personel CC debt came up. Dude volunteered that he already had like 9 credit cards with $20k credit lines on them. and he had partied hard, and his apartment let him pay his rent on the CC. He just kept balance transferring from 1 card to another, and getting a new card that would start out with a $10k limit that he promptly transferred to.  Econ professor tried to help him out, but the kid realized hes wasnt gonna pay off $100k+ of CC debt anytime soon.   Whole class was like "DAMN"

Not sure if the professor gave him the idea or if he had a fucking lightbulb moment, that I will explain below.

But come the middle (maybe end?) of our 3rd year (pretty sure it was our last class together), we were in some class together again and I asked him about how he was doing.

He's like, yeah Im doing great, I declared bankruptcy and im fine now.   

Me:  uh......

Me, being partially financially aware, I was thinking dude.... you just totally fucked your credit for life.   turned out.... I was thinking wrong. 

I pried a bit, and he admitted after that Econ class he knew he was fucked and his parents werent going to help out.  So he went out and basically asked every single card to extend his credit line, got a few more cards, then proceeded to put every single purchase he could on those cards, including rent and he even bought a basic used car.   He even told me that he pre-paid his next 2 years rent on the cards, and bought furniture, all his university classes.   He basically maxed out every card, bought stuff he could resell for 50% on the dollar for cash. and declared BK.  But he had learned his lesson and kept 1 card without a balance on it, and left that alone, only using a debit card. 

He said the card companies went apeshit, but there were no cosigners on his cards, and he had put student as his job and whatever his summer job was for income.    So when he went before the BK judge and the judge asked where the hell was the ~$300k+ worth of shit, kid basically claimed dumb college student, partier, parents wouldnt help him out, and he got so underwater that he kept transferring balances and didnt know how much of what he owed was actually stuff and how much was interest.

He did say that the card companies checked his accounts, and wanted the car, but his lawyer convinced the judge it was his only way to get to class as a student. 

to shorten the story, he basically had to give up some stuff that the companies were able to identify, but becuase he had done so many transfers none of the cards could claim what was purchased with their card... so he pretty much got to keep almost everything.   So his car, and rent were paid for the next 2 years. 

yes, he was 20 YO with a BK on his record and I honestly thought that was the end of things for him.... but *IF* he got his shit together, that dude laughed straight to the bank.

years later when I worked in the Mortgage industry, I realized how much that dude had most likely gamed the system.    

at the time, you could only declare BK, once in a 7 year period. and it stayed on your credit report for life... but what most people didnt realize is the credit reporting agencies only cared about the BK on your credit for 10 years. Also, every year that passed reduced the "credit hit",   And after year 7 the credit hit for having the BK was significantly reduced. Meaning by t time it took for him to graduate (2-3 years), and get a job, and need to do a credit report again, he was gonna pay more in interest, but thats about it. And if he was like most of us, he probably didnt start thinking about buying a house until he was 3-4 years in the workforce, that BK wouldnt be impacting his credit that much. 

He basically had had half his college, a car, 4 years of rent, and 2+ years of partying paid for by the CC companies.  and by the time he wanted to buy a house, it most likely didnt even show up on his report.

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2020 at 9:03 PM, swraith said:

The university can say whatever they want. Parties are still going to happen on Riverside. 

Yeah, and APD is salivating preparing for the gangbang. 

APD just got the green light to ticket the hell out of an entire college party. At $200 per, Austin can make up on some lost citation revenue. 

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Long CSB below, tl;dr  back in the 90s the BK  laws were a lot different than now- sorry Gen Y...

one of my classmates  (cant remember his name) that I shared like 6 classes with over the years (same LibArts major) ended up in a psychotic amount of debt by the beginning of our 2rd year.  We had an economics class that semester and personel CC debt came up. Dude volunteered that he already had like 9 credit cards with $20k credit lines on them. and he had partied hard, and his apartment let him pay his rent on the CC. He just kept balance transferring from 1 card to another, and getting a new card that would start out with a $10k limit that he promptly transferred to.  Econ professor tried to help him out, but the kid realized hes wasnt gonna pay off $100k+ of CC debt anytime soon.   Whole class was like "DAMN"

Not sure if the professor gave him the idea or if he had a fucking lightbulb moment, that I will explain below.

But come the middle (maybe end?) of our 3rd year (pretty sure it was our last class together), we were in some class together again and I asked him about how he was doing.

He's like, yeah Im doing great, I declared bankruptcy and im fine now.   

Me:  uh......

Me, being partially financially aware, I was thinking dude.... you just totally fucked your credit for life.   turned out.... I was thinking wrong. 

I pried a bit, and he admitted after that Econ class he knew he was fucked and his parents werent going to help out.  So he went out and basically asked every single card to extend his credit line, got a few more cards, then proceeded to put every single purchase he could on those cards, including rent and he even bought a basic used car.   He even told me that he pre-paid his next 2 years rent on the cards, and bought furniture, all his university classes.   He basically maxed out every card, bought stuff he could resell for 50% on the dollar for cash. and declared BK.  But he had learned his lesson and kept 1 card without a balance on it, and left that alone, only using a debit card. 

He said the card companies went apeshit, but there were no cosigners on his cards, and he had put student as his job and whatever his summer job was for income.    So when he went before the BK judge and the judge asked where the hell was the ~$300k+ worth of shit, kid basically claimed dumb college student, partier, parents wouldnt help him out, and he got so underwater that he kept transferring balances and didnt know how much of what he owed was actually stuff and how much was interest.

He did say that the card companies checked his accounts, and wanted the car, but his lawyer convinced the judge it was his only way to get to class as a student. 

to shorten the story, he basically had to give up some stuff that the companies were able to identify, but becuase he had done so many transfers none of the cards could claim what was purchased with their card... so he pretty much got to keep almost everything.   So his car, and rent were paid for the next 2 years. 

yes, he was 20 YO with a BK on his record and I honestly thought that was the end of things for him.... but *IF* he got his shit together, that dude laughed straight to the bank.

years later when I worked in the Mortgage industry, I realized how much that dude had most likely gamed the system.    

at the time, you could only declare BK, once in a 7 year period. and it stayed on your credit report for life... but what most people didnt realize is the credit reporting agencies only cared about the BK on your credit for 10 years. Also, every year that passed reduced the "credit hit",   And after year 7 the credit hit for having the BK was significantly reduced. Meaning by t time it took for him to graduate (2-3 years), and get a job, and need to do a credit report again, he was gonna pay more in interest, but thats about it. And if he was like most of us, he probably didnt start thinking about buying a house until he was 3-4 years in the workforce, that BK wouldnt be impacting his credit that much. 

He basically had had half his college, a car, 4 years of rent, and 2+ years of partying paid for by the CC companies.  and by the time he wanted to buy a house, it most likely didnt even show up on his report.

Your friend to the credit card companies.  

071F248F-3FF5-425F-A778-7BDA6F2B8EAA.gif