Favorite Female Vocalist?

Superhero

Annie Lennox and Natalie Merchant are my favorites. Granted I haven't listened to any who's come along since the 2000, so I could be missing out a new generation of great female vocalists. But of the ones I'm familiar with familiar with, I just dig Annie Lennox's distinctive voice and style.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Soul/Motown - Aretha

Rock - Stevie

R&B - Alicia

Pop/Contemporary - Rihanna or Ariana Grande

Country - Lucinda off the top of my head. Pretty confident that is my answer.

A couple of counterpoints, which are worth exactly what you paid for them:

1. Alicia Keys cannot sing at all, she is terrible, everything is autotuned

2. Lucinda?  Awesome, incredible songwriter, but wow, that voice.  Not great.  I'd go Kelly Willis, Emmylou,  Dolly,  or Patsy.

Not trying to start an argument, just a little different flavor.

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

A couple of counterpoints, which are worth exactly what you paid for them:

1. Alicia Keys cannot sing at all, she is terrible, everything is autotuned

2. Lucinda?  Awesome, incredible songwriter, but wow, that voice.  Not great.  I'd go Kelly Willis, Emmylou,  Dolly,  or Patsy.

Not trying to start an argument, just a little different flavor.

I mean I listed my favorites, not who I think the best technical singers are. Obviously Whitney and Beyonce and Mariah are untouchable, but they don't do it for me the way the gals I listed do.

Maybe I misled you with the Aretha listing - she would be an example of best in her genre as well as my favorite.

Totally agree on Lucinda. I just dig her voice. 

Not offering any new thoughts.  Stevie Nicks comes to mind first, followed by Aretha Franklin and Ann Wilson. 

I like Heart just okay, but always though Ann was an outstanding vocalist, and she kicks all kinds of ass on Never.

And props to @qwertyu1234 for the nod to Neko Case.  Beautiful voice and amazing lyrics.

I can’t pick just one. My short list: Norah Jones, Bonnie Raitt, Linda Ronstadt, Sheryl Crow, Linda Ronstadt, Allison Kraus, and Linda Ronstadt.

Grace Potter, the girl from Lake Street Dive, and Brandi Carlyle get honorable mention.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Emmylou and Lucinda are essential to me. Madeleine Peyroux is so awesome, especially when I'm enjoying a nice Redbreast 12 on the patio on a moonlit night.

I'm also a fan of Melody Gardot. She's got a bit of a Julie London vibe going on...not the strongest voice or biggest range, but she knows how to get the most of it. The fragility makes it even sexier IMHO.

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I can’t pick just one. My short list: Norah Jones, Bonnie Raitt, Linda Ronstadt, Sheryl Crow, Linda Ronstadt, Allison Kraus, and Linda Ronstadt.

Grace Potter, the girl from Lake Street Dive, and Brandi Carlyle get honorable mention.

Rachel Price, indeed.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:07 AM, tbone_ said:

Rachael Price.  She'd be my pick.  She's a smoke show, too.

2014-03-28-23.46.16-2.jpg