Surly commercial architects need some advice

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'd like to PM a Surly commercial architect with a couple questions.

Are you or the project in question anywhere in Central Texas?

Don't be a jackass & allow for any ponding water or internal drains.  Give it all @ least a 1:12 & 3x as many scuppers than you thought were needed.  Also, don't use shitty pressure treated pipe stand offs & use a proper system complete with walk pads.

You're welcome, I accept both Venmo & Zelle.

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oy, OK guys, seriously have a couple questions about fee structures. I thought we had a few other architects on the site

Front load everything into SDs.  Hourly NTE for entitlements.  Have all the consultants.  15-20% for CA.  Don’t get cute with the design.

4 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Front load everything into SDs.  Hourly NTE for entitlements.  Have all the consultants.  15-20% for CA.  Don’t get cute with the design.

NTE ?  

15-20%. Wouldn't get anywhere near that in VA. probably.  7-10% sounds more like the range here, and consultants being a reimbursable expense.

Not to Exceed, unless the entitlement is a slam dunk (never).

Not sure about the consultants as reimbursable.  Out west the Structural, MEPFP,  maybe civil (depends if owner already hired) and any other consultant the project would need to get a permit is a hard number.  Just be explicit about what consultants you don’t have.

Not an architect but do owners rep work.

Just now, Upgrayedd said:

Not to Exceed, unless the entitlement is a slam dunk (never).

Not sure about the consultants as reimbursable.  Out west the Structural, MEPFP,  maybe civil (depends if owner already hired) and any other consultant the project would need to get a permit is a hard number.  Just be explicit about what consultants you don’t have.

Not an architect but do owners rep work.

Yeah then fee range would start to be up there in that 15-20% range. I've always preferred to make consultants a reimbursable or direct cost to the owner. Makes for a cleaner fee arrangement for me, but I don't do lots of commercial. It's just a bit of a different animal than residential.

Reimbursables are almost always a 10 percent markup in my field (civil) to cover liability insurance and management.  

As to margins, if you can do 20 percent more power to you.  That is top shelf for land development and unheard of in public infrastructure.  Unless you have a brother in law negotiating a lump sum contract.