EPL 2020-21

Firemans4Horn

On 11/23/2020 at 10:44 AM, shadow_operative said:

it's funny how fans of other clubs are making a much bigger deal out of Arsenal's struggles than we are. i don't know what you all expected, but i've known that this shit is not going to get turned around overnight for some time now. as has been discussed in this thread, Arsenal went from a midfield of Santi, Rosicky, Wilshere, Arteta, Ozil, and Oxlade-Chamberlain, to losing all of those guys and failing to replace them. we're never going to have any sustained success in attack as long as that's the case.

lmao Özil is literally still on the books and Wilshere could be had for peanuts. And take it from a Liverpool fan, selling Ox for £35M or whatever was maybe the best business Arsenal has done in the last decade.

As for opposing fans making fun of Arsenal's woes, it's probably in reaction to the pundits and Arsenal fans who proclaimed Arteta the second coming after a few decent results post-COVID break. The attack has been utterly abysmal:

• Hook 'Em 4

With the Pool tie - tomorrow's fixture between Chelsea and Tottenham will be for top of the table. A Tottenham win or tie and they will remain at the top of the standings - a Chelsea win and they will jump above Pool and Tottenham. 

So... kind of a big game.

Edited by ztejas
Unless Leicester wins by 6 or 7 goals on Monday

Maybe a silly question - I've never bet on soccer before. My book has Chelsea listed at -0.5 for odds of +105. They also have the Chelsea money-line at +110.

Aren't these the same thing? Why would the odds be different? You can't win by less than a goal - so if Chelsea covers 0.5 they are guaranteed to hit the moneyline. Why would you not take the ML +110?

17 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

superhype fixtures like this often fail to deliver, but sometimes nil-nil can be just as compelling as 2-2.

It's been quality football so far. 

I wouldn't exactly prefer a 0-0 draw - but for the layman at home it has been an entertaining start. 

2 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Yep, that's why I edited it to "nevermind". Are you sure you looked at the odds correctly? Usually a ML bet (if there is not a tie option) means a push for you if the game ends in a tie.

Yep. Could be an immaterial book error. 

Screenshot_20201129-091304_Chrome.thumb.jpg.731faa4a7b280ea5b9177c20637d3011.jpg

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Cmon nil nil draw!

Another week at the top of the standings. I'll take it.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

superhype fixtures like this often fail to deliver, but sometimes nil-nil can be just as compelling as 2-2.

wow - 2018 spurs win @ bridge only 1 in the last 30 years

I would note - this was only good football to neutrals that know the game. To those that don't follow it - this was kind of hard to watch.

44 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I think it's a little early to look to help from 0-0 draws in games that don't include you.  

Sure, this helps them a little. But given the amount of soccer left this season, IMHO this is really just a blip in terms of help for them.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Well, the Chelsea/Spurs game worked out quite nicely for us. 

it's funny how fans of other clubs are making a much bigger deal out of Arsenal's struggles than we are. i don't know what you all expected, but i've known that this shit is not going to get turned around overnight for some time now. as has been discussed in this thread, Arsenal went from a midfield of Santi, Rosicky, Wilshere, Arteta, Ozil, and Oxlade-Chamberlain, to losing all of those guys and failing to replace them. we're never going to have any sustained success in attack as long as that's the case. i saw a mind blowing stat from before the Villa match two weeks ago- Auba's XG on the year is 3; not 30; 3. that's how pathetic our midfield has been/will continue to be until we get some actual players in. 
so while you guys are over here acting like Arsenal fans should be freaking out and worrying about relegation, i'm over here going, "damn, we've played away matches against Man U, Man City, Liverpool, and Leeds, and yet we still have the best defensive record in the EPL. We have one of the best keepers in the EPL; we have Auba signed to a long term deal; we've brought in the likes of Tierney, Saka, Partey, and Gabriel to help defensively, and they've been great. we're building a winning team piece by piece."
yeah, the rebuild still has a long way to go, but anyone with an objective look at our roster makeup can see that Arteta is actually doing some pretty fine work considering what he's got to work with in midfield. if we still look like this a year from now, then i'll be worried. until then, it's gonna be a whole lot of 1-0 and 0-0 games for Arsenal. it is what it is.

You don’t have the best defense in the EPL.
  • Hook 'Em 1