8/1, it’s time for the Hatch Chili thread

MirrOlure

2 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

The real question is is Whataburger gonna finally bring back the Green Chile double?

I don’t have much faith in our new Chicago Overlords.  Have you noticed in the commercial about the burger with pico de gallo that the actor calls it “PICK-O?”   

On 8/4/2020 at 8:07 AM, thrillhammer said:

was just through hatch on sunday.  they had a freezer full of gallon ziplocs that had just been roasted that morning for $12.  they weren't even frozen yet, still hot in the freezer.  going to make rellenos with mine.

going to be in Ruidoso in the next couple of months, and am hoping that i can maybe possibly potentially find some there...

21 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Go to Central Market you whiny faget. They’re already on day four.

Already placed my order for pickup tomorrow.  Roughly 5 lb each mild and hot.  I'm thinking "hatch fettuccine alfredo" to start.  (Rough take on Chez Zee's jalapeno alfredo.)

Edited by jimmyjazz

25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

One of my favorite meals in town is the green chili chicken stew at Chuy’s. Need to load up on some Hatch chili’s this weekend and try it out.

I made a version of  (no idea if it’s similar to chuys) green Chile chicken stew before, the recipe is on the instant pot thread. Let me see if I can find it, I bet it would be great with Hatch. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I made a version of  (no idea if it’s similar to chuys) green Chile chicken stew before, the recipe is on the instant pot thread. Let me see if I can find it, I bet it would be great with Hatch. 

I’ve found the Chuy’s recipe online. I’ve tried to make a variation before I stumbled upon it, and realized the key ingredient I’ve been missing is tomatillos.

But would like to see your Instant Pot recipe. My mom just regifted the one I got her a few years ago. 

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I’ve found the Chuy’s recipe online. I’ve tried to make a variation before I stumbled upon it, and realized the key ingredient I’ve been missing is tomatillos.

But would like to see your Instant Pot recipe. My mom just regifted the one I got her a few years ago. 

Yup tomarillos in this one too. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

that recipe is real, real good. I’d consider just dumping the poblano and replacing with hatch Along with the Anaheim. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yup tomarillos in this one too. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

that recipe is real, real good. I’d consider just dumping the poblano and replacing with hatch Along with the Anaheim. 

Hatch and Anaheim are the same pepper. Hatch is just the locale.

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Hatch and Anaheim are the same pepper. Hatch is just the locale.

I’m fully aware sir. But we can all agree that it’s still Better. And also why I suggested subbing it for Poblano as well. Subbing “hatch” for Anaheim was a given. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

If any of you are ever in the need of tomatillos but don't have them on hand, put these in your pantry.  They're legit.  They're amped up a bit with garlic and poblano, but I can't imagine a recipe calling for tomatillo that can't handle a small amount of those two flavors.

crushed-fireroasted-18743.png

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If any of you are ever in the need of tomatillos but don't have them on hand, put these in your pantry.  They're legit.  They're amped up a bit with garlic and poblano, but I can't imagine a recipe calling for tomatillo that can't handle a small amount of those two flavors.

crushed-fireroasted-18743.png

Oh damn. Nice catch man. Non GMO is a plus and I’ve used that brand for taco sauce before and it’s great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, that's Skip Bayless' non-douchebag brother's company.

Rick Bayless is the real deal for Mexican food, which is odd considering (1) he’s an Okie (2) plying Mexican food in Chicago.

And, yes, Skippy Clueless is a d-bag.  In fact, he is a bigger one than Cowherd and Rome combined.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

This (although the article didn't really call her out).  "Authenticity" snobs denigrate regional variations that are -- gasp -- authentic and local as hell within their region.  She thought tex-mex was an abomination.  Generations of South Texans call it home cooking, and still do.  It's authentic as hell.  And those same South Texans wouldn't know a mole sauce if you dumped it on their heads.  Different people, different regions, different foods.  Shit, Mexico itself has numerous "indigenous" styles, many of which don't look like the very particular stuff in a Dianna Kennedy cookbook.

Back to the thread topic, saw roasted bags in HEB a little while ago -- didn't grab any, but will later this week.  Green chile scrambled eggs are one of my comfort foods.  I'm also seeing some green chile pork stew in my future.  And.....for the tomatillos, I'm gonna share a super cheater shortcut that's fantastic.  It already has salt, and other goodies that you're already going to put into your stew:

0072878275700_CR_ITEMMASTER_default_larg

Tomatillo, Cilantro, Garlic, Serrano Pepper, Onion, Salt, Citric Acid

I saute pork in bacon grease, then add onions and garlic to the saute.  Then I add a bit of water and a jar of the Herdez and a bay leaf, simmer till the pork is tender.  Add some diced potato and a dash of comino and simmer a bit longer, till potato is done.  I add another jar of Herdez, and a shitload of diced green chile near the end.  If it needs salt, I add a bit of knorr chicken bullion powder (a fixture in every mexican kitchen).  It's so.  Fucking.  Easy.  And so good.  

Seriously, I used to mess with the tomatillos myself, and then when I realized that the salsa is mostly tomatillo, is really good, and makes for a perfect recipe shortcut, DONE.

Would be nice if the weather cooled off a bit, though.

• Hook 'Em 2

This (although the article didn't really call her out).  "Authenticity" snobs denigrate regional variations that are -- gasp -- authentic and local as hell within their region.  She thought tex-mex was an abomination.  Generations of South Texans call it home cooking, and still do.  It's authentic as hell.  And those same South Texans wouldn't know a mole sauce if you dumped it on their heads.  Different people, different regions, different foods.  Shit, Mexico itself has numerous "indigenous" styles, many of which don't look like the very particular stuff in a Dianna Kennedy cookbook.
Back to the thread topic, saw roasted bags in HEB a little while ago -- didn't grab any, but will later this week.  Green chile scrambled eggs are one of my comfort foods.  I'm also seeing some green chile pork stew in my future.  And.....for the tomatillos, I'm gonna share a super cheater shortcut that's fantastic.  It already has salt, and other goodies that you're already going to put into your stew:
0072878275700_CR_ITEMMASTER_default_large.png
Tomatillo, Cilantro, Garlic, Serrano Pepper, Onion, Salt, Citric Acid
I saute pork in bacon grease, then add onions and garlic to the saute.  Then I add a bit of water and a jar of the Herdez and a bay leaf, simmer till the pork is tender.  Add some diced potato and a dash of comino and simmer a bit longer, till potato is done.  I add another jar of Herdez, and a shitload of diced green chile near the end.  If it needs salt, I add a bit of knorr chicken bullion powder (a fixture in every mexican kitchen).  It's so.  Fucking.  Easy.  And so good.  
Seriously, I used to mess with the tomatillos myself, and then when I realized that the salsa is mostly tomatillo, is really good, and makes for a perfect recipe shortcut, DONE.
Would be nice if the weather cooled off a bit, though.

I do a can of green enchilada sauce but might try a jar of salsa.

2 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

I do a can of green enchilada sauce but might try a jar of salsa.

The salsa is chunkier with tomatillo bits than the enchilada sauce.  And cheaper.  Seriously, I highly recommend.  You can also use the HEB store brand, it comes in little cans, it's effectively the same.