8/1, it’s time for the Hatch Chili thread

MirrOlure

12 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Girlfriend made green chili enchiladas tonight. Time to put a ring on it? 

I mean, I hadn't ever thought of marrying an enchilada, but for the right one, I'll consider it.

Back when my boy was 9 or so, we were eating lunch at a little joint in New Iberia. He was hammering some etouffee, which he loves.  Our waitress was a gorgeous dark haired, green eyed cajun, who thought he was the cutest thing ever.  I elbowed him as she left the table, and asked "so, what do you think your first girlfriend is gonna look like?", nodding in her direction.  He looked up at me without pausing -- "a bowl of etouffee."

The boy ain't dumb.  So tell us more about these enchiladas.....slowly....

I bought about 8lbs of pre-roasted hot peppers from HEB last week. Didn't take pics, but we've been using them in a lot of stuff. Made a couple of pints of salsa verde. Used it as the base for green chili pork and sour cream chicken enchiladas. Also made a version of the dona salsa. 

Bought the pre-made hatch crab cakes from Central Market on Friday and made an aoili with the peppers and cilantro and avocado. Made a peach salad with fresh peaches, avocado, goat cheese and unroasted diced hatch peppers. 

Threw some roasted peppers on a grilled chicken sandwich last night. Used the hatch dona as the dressing for the sandwich.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Looks damn good.  What's the mayo/spread?  Just a mayo/mustard combo (judging from the background)?

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I bought about 8lbs of pre-roasted hot peppers from HEB last week. Didn't take pics, but we've been using them in a lot of stuff. Made a couple of pints of salsa verde. Used it as the base for green chili pork and sour cream chicken enchiladas. Also made a version of the dona salsa. 

Bought the pre-made hatch crab cakes from Central Market on Friday and made an aoili with the peppers and cilantro and avocado. Made a peach salad with fresh peaches, avocado, goat cheese and unroasted diced hatch peppers. 

Threw some roasted peppers on a grilled chicken sandwich last night. Used the hatch dona as the dressing for the sandwich.

Speaking of Mayo and the Salsa Dona, I will say, mixing one part of the dona and one part mayo makes a fucking tremendous flavored mayo. I saw that BLT pic earlier and thought it would be wonderful slathered in that mixture. I've used it for some basic sandwiches. Just as an FYI to anyone. 

• 11 months later...
On 8/15/2020 at 8:26 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Yup tomarillos in this one too. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

that recipe is real, real good. I’d consider just dumping the poblano and replacing with hatch Along with the Anaheim. 

Looking at making this - do you roast the hatch and tomatillo's first? Or put them in "raw"?

11 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Looking at making this - do you roast the hatch and tomatillo's first? Or put them in "raw"?

You won't be disappointed. I followed the recipe exactly, so in this instance they go in raw, then they cook. Didn't need to roast either first. While I could see the appeal of roasting first, you'd basically be double/overcooking the tomatillos and chilies potentially. 

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You won't be disappointed. I followed the recipe exactly, so in this instance they go in raw, then they cook. Didn't need to roast either first. While I could see the appeal of roasting first, you'd basically be double/overcooking the tomatillos and chilies potentially. 

I was thinking to roast to get the skin off and adding another layer of flavor...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 12:09 PM, Grimas said:

I was thinking to roast to get the skin off and adding another layer of flavor...

I’ve never seen any chef on tv use tomatillos without roasting them first and I can’t imagine cooking Hatch chile peppers with that thick skin on.

MalibuSheriff posted this recipe back on shaggy and it’s what I use:

Green Chile Stew:

2 lbs. pork shoulder, cut up in 1" cubes
2 -- 32oz of chicken broth 
4 cups diced, roasted/peeled green chiles
1 large sweet yellow onion
3 good-sized Russet potatoes, cubed 
Garlic (about 10 cloves chopped or 5 tsp minced) 
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1-1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
5 bay leaves 

Brown diced pork in vegetable oil. Add garlic, onion, and continue to brown. Once onion is translucent, add chicken broth, chiles, potatoes, seasoning, and cook for two hours on low heat. Stirring often until fully cooked. Salt to taste.

Serve with warm flour tortillas.

This recipe is as close as I can get to my favorite green chile stew at The Shed and sister restaurant, La Choza in Santa Fe, which looks like this:

green-chile-stew.jpg

I never thanked him for the recipe so, MalibuSheriff, if you’re out there, thanks a lot.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/148756-Hatch-Green-Chile-Season-2014?p=8424596&viewfull=1#post8424596

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve never seen any chef on tv use tomatillos without roasting them first and I can’t imagine cooking Hatch chile peppers with that thick skin on.

MalibuSheriff posted this recipe back on shaggy and it’s what I use:

Green Chile Stew:

2 lbs. pork shoulder, cut up in 1" cubes
2 -- 32oz of chicken broth 
4 cups diced, roasted/peeled green chiles
1 large sweet yellow onion
3 good-sized Russet potatoes, cubed 
Garlic (about 10 cloves chopped or 5 tsp minced) 
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1-1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
5 bay leaves 

Brown diced pork in vegetable oil. Add garlic, onion, and continue to brown. Once onion is translucent, add chicken broth, chiles, potatoes, seasoning, and cook for two hours on low heat. Stirring often until fully cooked. Salt to taste.

Serve with warm flour tortillas.

This recipe is as close as I can get to my favorite green chile stew at The Shed and sister restaurant, La Choza in Santa Fe, which looks like this:

green-chile-stew.jpg

I never thanked him for the recipe so, MalibuSheriff, if you’re out there, thanks a lot.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/148756-Hatch-Green-Chile-Season-2014?p=8424596&viewfull=1#post8424596

You’re very welcome and glad you liked the recipe. It’s a staple around our home in colder months that’s a great alternate between batches of chili.  We’ve recently moved back to Tulsa, so I’ll have a hell of a lot cooler weather in store than my last fourteen years in Austin…lots of green chile stew and bowls of red upcoming!

• Drool 1

8 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

You’re very welcome and glad you liked the recipe. It’s a staple around our home in colder months that’s a great alternate between batches of chili.  We’ve recently moved back to Tulsa, so I’ll have a hell of a lot cooler weather in store than my last fourteen years in Austin…lots of green chile stew and bowls of red upcoming!

It’s labor intensive to roast and peel all those peppers. And I only use the hot ones so it’s scorching hot. But goddamn, it’s worth it. So, so good. Thanks again.

Just want to reiterate that I made a giant batch of this modified recipe:

https://www.delishknowledge.com/creamy-jalapeno-salsa/

One batch of the pre-peeled hatch chilis from HEB, 4 jalapenos, handful of cilantro, salt to taste, and some Tajin for good measure, plus avacado oil until I liked the consistency...filled a 32 oz jar to the job. And it's going on fucking everything. 

2nd batch I've made in the last 2 weeks. Took about 20 minutes. 

• 11 months later...

Bump

All of a sudden this morning I could smell the roasting of these awesome treasures of nature.

We moved to Taos in January of this year and we are close enough to the Plaza and other spots where roasting is taking place. What a glorious smell.

• Like 6

One of my annual cooking traditions is to buy several pounds of roasted Hatch chiles from HEB or CM and make a big pot of sauce for huevos rancheros and enchiladas for the year.    It’s a nice occasional break from my beloved tex-mex. I haven’t seen the roasting station yet.  Should be here in the next week or so.   

7 minutes ago, HouTex said:

One of my annual cooking traditions is to buy several pounds of roasted Hatch chiles from HEB or CM and make a big pot of sauce for huevos rancheros and enchiladas for the year.    It’s a nice occasional break from my beloved tex-mex. I haven’t seen the roasting station yet.  Should be here in the next week or so.   

what's the recipe/process you are following these days?

Check out the cookbook by Huntley Dent, the Feast of Santa Fe: Cooking of the American Southwest.  I use his recipe for the basic green sauce as a guide, but I often vary it.  For about six of the bags of pre-roasted green chiles (maybe 9 lbs?) you buy at HEB or CM, peeled and roughly chopped, first I'll saute two medium onions, rough chopped, in a 1/4 cup of neutral oil.  Cook just until the onions are translucent.  Add enough flour to make a thick roux and cook just until the raw taste of the flour is gone--you don't want much color to the roux.  Add about a 1/2 head of garlic, peeled and minced, and a tablespoon each of salt, ground cumin and Mexican oregano.  Cook for a few minutes and then add the chopped green chiles and as many cans of tomatoes--chopped or whole, to your taste.  Sometimes I also add a couple of small cans of tomato sauce as well.  The amount of tomatoes is a matter of taste.  I usually add two 14 oz. cans of tomatoes.  Finally, add enough chicken stock--at least a quart--to get the consistency of a medium-thick soup.  Cook it down in a steady boil for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.  Taste for saltiness and adjust accordingly.  I'll then partially puree the sauce with an emersion blender to get my desired consistency.  I still like to see pieces of tomato and green chile in my finished sauce. If you don't have a blender, then do a finer chop to the chiles, onions and tomatoes.  Generally, the cookbooks say that the finished sauce should coat the back of a spoon.  I'll err on the side of a little thinner vs. thicker. The sauce will thicken when it cooks with the enchiladas or the eggs and cheese.  The leftovers from each frozen quart will thicken in the fridge as well. 

I'll freeze the sauce in quart containers and it lasts throughout the year.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

14 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Anyone know how to get these in other areas of the country? The Arizona State alumni club in Atlanta used to do a big roasting event but I don’t think they do it any more.

There are online sources that will ship them to you.  I can't vouch for any of them though.  I just go to HEB.

54 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Anyone know how to get these in other areas of the country? The Arizona State alumni club in Atlanta used to do a big roasting event but I don’t think they do it any more.

Do a Google search for “frozen roasted green chiles” and there will be dozens of sites in New Mexico that can ship next day or 2-day air.

Here’s one out of Roswell where there’s quite a bit of chile grown and the prices aren’t too outrageous.  I haven’t ordered from any, so no past experience to offer:

https://gravesfarm.com/product/frozen-green-chile/