SpaceX Splashdown

RPM

4 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

NASA channel could use some higher resolution cameras. Looks like the same cameras from the Apollo days. 

That's the same feed everyone is getting, but you're not wrong.

Edited by RPM

Finally! Welcome Home Boys!!!

Seriously, they need massive improvements on the landing procedures. This was not good (other than they survived). Had there been any problems after splashdown, those guys would be dead.

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

Seriously, they need massive improvements on the landing procedures. This was not good (other than they survived). Had there been any problems after splashdown, those guys would be dead.

Ladies and Gents, someone here is suffering from immediacy syndrome.  

Good Lord dude, it’s been fine.  That’s why it’s called a test flight. 

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

If they needed to get them out quickly, they could have done so - they were in airtight suits.

Right now, we need to focus on crafting our conspiracy theories that when the video onboard the ship was blocky, they were switching in body doubles, and when the video of the capsule landing was blocky, they were substituting another capsule that was dropped by a helicopter (that the camera cut off).

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I mean, let’s not get melodramatic here. Everything went perfectly it appeared from my living room.  In the Apollo days, they got out of the capsule in the water. 

I'm not getting melodramatic. I don't expect them to extract them 5 minutes after splashdown, but this was a shitshow. Civilian boats surrounding the spacecraft. Big delays in getting the craft onboard and extracting the crew. There's lots of room for improvement, but it was a significant achievement.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, RPM said:

I'm not getting melodramatic. I don't expect them to extract them 5 minutes after splashdown, but this was a shitshow. Civilian boats surrounding the spacecraft. Big delays in getting the craft onboard and extracting the crew. There's lots of room for improvement, but it was a significant achievement.

The announcer said it would take an hour to extract them. 

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The announcer said it would take an hour to extract them. 

Unacceptable

Just now, royiv said:

Why wasn't the Coast Guard out there setting a perimeter? There was a GD Trump boat rally going on in the splashdown area.

Exactly

22 minutes ago, royiv said:

Why wasn't the Coast Guard out there setting a perimeter? There was a GD Trump boat rally going on in the splashdown area.

I saw something that said they were trying to organize a bunch of those boats to go through the splashdown area, but some kind of law enforcement (Coast Guard?) was working to prevent it.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Hypergolic fuels are bad bad shit, but also super reliable and have good specific impulse. I wonder if they're going to be able to work out a better solution for purging and cleaning the capsule

The Wash Tub does a pretty good job.

They offer a 10 wash/vacuum service coupon booklet for $100.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If they needed to get them out quickly, they could have done so - they were in airtight suits.

Right now, we need to focus on crafting our conspiracy theories that when the video onboard the ship was blocky, they were switching in body doubles, and when the video of the capsule landing was blocky, they were substituting another capsule that was dropped by a helicopter (that the camera cut off).

we need OJ Simpson somewhere.  maybe Will Smith can take his spot.

They got the craft onboard 7 minutes ahead of schedule iirc. If not for an abundance of caution over a .4 parts per billion reading of toxic fuel leaking then they would’ve been out way ahead of time. The civilian boats part was insane though. Hard to believe there wasn’t some kind of security preventing that. Also important to note the weather was perfect. No waves and no wind.