SpaceX Splashdown

RPM

2 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

They got the craft onboard 7 minutes ahead of schedule iirc. If not for an abundance of caution over a .4 parts per billion reading of toxic fuel leaking then they would’ve been out way ahead of time. The civilian boats part was insane though. Hard to believe there wasn’t some kind of security preventing that. Also important to note the weather was perfect. No waves and no wind.

Good mission overall from my limited perspective. We have a good launch, reusable craft, a rather efficient water landing, and the crew is in great shape. 

Anyone know why was there unconfined fuel in the capsule (not the cabin)? I guess some is expected(?). They had a test that found it (win)  The pressurization tests showed no leaks in the fuel system.

Any danger with that type of residue and where it was located? 

I need to catch up on rocketry-AE.  Seems like the margins for error are not so razor thin these days. If so - that is great. These splashdowns, as armybrat mentioned, became a fright fest after the Grissom hatch incident. This landing and recovery was much more relaxed.

It makes me think my kids might travel to space some day. That is cool. 

8 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

These splashdowns, as armybrat mentioned, became a fright fest after the Grissom hatch incident. This landing and recovery was much more relaxed.

As long as the capsule remains sealed, I don't see how it could sink.

What they did yesterday seems to be the safest and most efficient way.

Unless they were returning from the fucking Moon.  Then you need an aircraft carrier and a hero's welcome.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

All it takes is one private boat, speeding to the capsule, for all Boat Dudes around to think it must be ok.

Those idiots in the boats could very easily drive through a cloud of toxic fumes if there's any residual hypergolics in/on/around the capsule. Genuine safety issue for the boaters and the astronauts.

On 8/2/2020 at 4:15 PM, RPM said:

I'm not getting melodramatic. I don't expect them to extract them 5 minutes after splashdown, but this was a shitshow. Civilian boats surrounding the spacecraft. Big delays in getting the craft onboard and extracting the crew. There's lots of room for improvement, but it was a significant achievement.

Sounds like as expert SX could use someone like you.  Hawthorne is nice this time of year