Bridge King decapitated by tenant (not Ralph Waldo Emerson) with samurai sword. Cut off his head to spite his place?

clapclapclap

https://nypost.com/2020/07/29/connecticut-man-allegedly-decapitated-landlord-with-samurai-sword/

A man allegedly used a samurai sword to decapitate his Connecticut roommate — a nationally known bridge player — and has refused to talk with investigators about the crime, claiming he is a sovereign citizen, according to a report.

Jerry David Thompson, 42, of Hartford, had recently moved into a vacant bedroom in the Asylum Avenue home of Victor King, 64, a Travelers insurance company retiree and professional bridge player, the Hartford Courant reported.

Thompson threatened his landlord with the sword after the two men had a dispute about the suspect not paying the rent, according to the arrest warrant cited by the news outlet.

A day before he was beheaded Sunday, King reported to police that Thompson had waved the blade at him, the Courant reported.

When King’s friends could not reach him Sunday, they alerted authorities. Police and firefighters later forced their way into the house and discovered the grisly, bloody scene.

Police tracked Thompson down and pulled him over in the city’s North End, but he refused to say anything to investigators – but just scribbled on a piece of paper, “paper in glove compart in Jeep is all you need,” according to the report.

In the vehicle’s glove compartment, cops found paperwork suggesting that he considered himself a sovereign citizen and not subject to the law.

Thompson, who has previous convictions for assault and robbery, was arraigned Tuesday in Superior Court, where he also remained mum and was ordered held on $2 million bail.  (snip)

I'd like to think a guy that worked for Traveler's Insurance for 40 years will be covered for 'Death by Samurai Sword', but the fucking corporations these days...always skimping on their employee benefits.  

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'd like to think a guy that worked for Traveler's Insurance for 40 years will be covered for 'Death by Samurai Sword', but the fucking corporations these days...always skimping on their employee benefits.  

"Travelers insurance retiree"   OOOOhhhhhh, the plot thickens!

What an odd detail to include. 

59 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hartford was once, maybe still is, the insurance capital of the US, if not the world.

Saying that he was a Travelers retiree is kind of typical local color.

Home of Colt Firearms too.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

First, a 'nationally known" and "professional" bridge player. Okay, well, clearly I'm not up to snuff on my national bridge players.

Second, protip- If you live on Asylum Rd you might want to avoid roomates with Samurai swords that think they are sovereign citizen. Just a thought.

And finally, I guess pro bridge playing doesn't pay as well as one might be lead to believe.

ISWYD

Should've quit while he was ahead.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Technically there's no such thing as a Samurai sword.  It was most likely a Katana.  Lazy ass journalists.

I thought Jerry Thompson hocked that Hattori Hanzo sword in Hartford for $250.  

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hartford was once, maybe still is, the insurance capital of the US, if not the world.

Saying that he was a Travelers retiree is kind of typical local color.

This.

Also, Hartford is surprisingly one of the biggest shitholes I've ever seen. Lots of homelessness and crime and after dark it gets really sketchy quickly. I did 5 months of consulting work there for an insurer, holed up in a candlewood suite, and saw about everything there is to see in Hartford. The Yard Goats (Double A team) have a cool/modern stadium with all you can eat hot dogs and the Grateful Dead coverband came through is all I can remember from the good.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rougarou said:

This.

Also, Hartford is surprisingly one of the biggest shitholes I've ever seen. Lots of homelessness and crime and after dark it gets really sketchy quickly. I did 5 months of consulting work there for an insurer, holed up in a candlewood suite, and saw about everything there is to see in Hartford. The Yard Goats have a cool stadium with all you can eat hot dogs and the Grateful Dead coverband came through is all I can remember from the good.

That pretty much describes the entirety of Connecticut, minus the secluded, wealth NYC bedroom communities on the state line. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

That pretty much describes the entirety of Connecticut, minus the secluded, wealth NYC bedroom communities on the state line. 

I think this is what was surprising to me about Hartford. I thought Connecticut was just upper-crust through and through and populated with Yalies and John Cheever characters.