Missing Teen Girl Found In Woods Alive on Last Day of Search.

Doc Reeves

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Are you the kind of person who just takes everything at face value, regardless of how much shit doesn't add up?

I’m the kind of person that likes to point out the obvious on a message board to a bunch of raging assholes

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The alternative is to say she's an outstandingly, stupid, human being. I prefer she was on shrooms or Sid, and just kinda wandered off in to nature..  much more Disney like.  

Or she's naive, and didn't want her parents to know she ran out of gas, decided she would climb a hill or a tree to get a signal, something happened (like the killer swamp bunny that went after Jimmy Carter), she ran off a bit, got lost (easy to do).

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or she's naive, and didn't want her parents to know she ran out of gas, decided she would climb a hill or a tree to get a signal, something happened (like the killer swamp bunny that went after Jimmy Carter), she ran off a bit, got lost (easy to do).

What?

4 hours ago, BERT said:

I love this place. Always a hand full of people second guessing any story out there. 

Not saying she's not lying about something, just saying i find y'all assholes funny. 

Considering how often you're discovered hiding in plain sight, forgive the rest of us for being skeptical. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, cam4mav said:

that road she was on is extremely remote. I drove it overnight coming back from eastern Washington and saw at least 15 deer next to and just standing in the middle of the road. maybe 1 big rig coming the opposite way. zero cell service for an hour at least maybe more.

probably just an impatient, dumb decision thinking going up would get to cell service. I'm more curious where she was going with a bag packed and not telling parents, driving that far out on that road. There is NOTHING out there and not much in that direction. Running out of gas and making a dumb decision in the middle of the night, i totally buy that. But where the fuck was she going.

Maybe it turns out you only passed 14 deer? 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Those killer swamp bunnies can only be dispatched with long wooden objects. Kind of like a stake thru the vampires heart...

20 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Rescuers miraculously find a young girl on the last day of their search and ruin a great setup for a true crime episode 

A missing Washington teenager who vanished last month after she ran out of gas was found alive Saturday in a remote section of the Cascade Mountains, authorities said.

Speaking to reporters, King County sheriff’s spokesman Ryan Abbott said it was a “miracle” that Giovanna Fuda, 18, was found after a week-long search.

“She’s in stable condition,” he said. “This is a remarkable ending

Fuda was last seen on July 24, when she left her home in the Seattle suburb of Maple Valley without telling her parents where she was going. Her car was found abandoned the next night near a mountain pass roughly two hours northeast of Maple Valley.

“We don’t know why she was up there,” her father, Bob Fuda, told NBC affiliate KING last week.

Authorities said the car, a 2008 Toyota Corolla, had run out of gas. Her purse was still in the vehicle but her cellphone was gone. The King County Sheriff’s Office initially described her disappearance as “suspicious.”

Abbott said the area was a dead zone for cell service so it was difficult to trace her location through her phone’s GPS. Dense brush also made it impossible to search with a helicopter, he said.

On Saturday, after a bloodhound tracked her scent more than a mile down the highway, a search and rescue team trekking up a ravine and following a creek found her notebook, shoes and clothing, Abbott said. They eventually found her, too, a few miles from her car, he said. She was alert and conscious but incoherent.

“We don’t know how she got up in that area,” he said, adding that she may have gotten turned around while walking to get gas. He said she likely survived by drinking water from the creek, but she had no food with her and he wasn’t sure what she ate.

A family friend who was involved in the search, Jeff White, told KING that Saturday was the last day of the rescue effort

I used to live in Maple Valley.  It's not off the beaten path and right next to Kent and Renton, but is surrounded on 3 sides by forrest but all of the highways there lead to other suburbs, so it makes one wonder why she decided to venture away from the highway into the dense forest?     Maple Valley is pretty freaking awesome place to live though, I miss living there, especially this time of year.  

Edited by TeddyBearStallion

9 hours ago, bmbmd said:

Opening day, Antelope season, Valley County, Montana. 1985.  Two young hunters from the University of Michigan drove to northeastern Montana to try their luck at antelope hunting.  On opening day, one lets the other out and they agree to meet at such and such point at such and such time.  He didn't show up.  When darkness fell, the driver headed to the check station to report his friend as missing, and a search party was summoned.  They searched all night (27 degrees) and in to the morning to no avail.  A rancher's wife from out in the boonies saw something orange against a snow fence as she was driving the forty miles to the nearest grocery store.  A couple of hours later, as she was returning with her bags, the orange object had not moved.  She got out to investigate, and found the barely conscious Michigander in only his underwear and hi-vis hunter's orange plastic vest. The ambulance was summoned, and young Natty Bumpo whisked to safety.  In the ambulance, core temp was reported as 91 degrees, and his bp was about 70/40.  His bare feet were filled with thorns and mildly frostbitten, and his head was neatly creased from the path of an accidentally fired bullet from his .247.  It was theorized that he had discharged his weapon while climbing through a barbed wire fence and skimmed right down the part of his hair, and his badly concussed self reasoned that the colder he got, the more clothes he needed to shed. By the time he reached the ER, he was warming up and becoming more lucid.  CAT scan was normal, CPK (which demonstrates muscle injury) was 27,000 and thankfully kidney function was still nominal. About the time the doctor (me) was finishing his assessment, his frantic mother was on the phone.  I reassured her the best I could, convinced her that he would be home hail and hearty in nothing flat, and calmed her fears.  She thanked me profusely and asked if she could speak to him, so I handed the phone to the still groggy dude.  "Hi  Mom" he said, then scrunched his face in agony as he moved the receiver further and further from his ear.  Everyone in the room could hear the screaming shrieking and unbelievable blue tirade of reprimand coming from Mom.  Her language was befitting of the saltiest of merchant marines-it was indeed a thing of beauty.  Eventually the furor subsided and she allowed that she would leave immediately for northern Montana to retrieve her damaged son.  After hanging up, his buddy, who had been standing quietly in the corner all morning, approached the gurney and asked how he was feeling.  After answering positively,  unscathed college kid asks "If you're done hunting.....can I have your antelope tag"?

TL:DR kid shot his friend just to get his antelope tag.

• Haha 1

scattershooting while waiting for the starliner hop.....

Caveats:

- The vast majority (at least 2/3rds) under the age of 40 are unable to look at a wall in a room without windows and tell you what direction they are facing.  At least 1/3rd total and 50% of women under the age of 40 are unable to determine directions when they are outside.

- Situational awareness is actually DECREASING from Gen X (which was already abysmal) to the Zoomers who can't unplaster their cells from their foreheads.

Latlongs:

"...a Maple Valley teenager..."

"... crews found Fuda about two miles up a steep ravine along Highway 2 between Skykomish and Stevens Pass."

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/missing-maple-valley-teen-gia-fuda-found-alive-eight-days-later-king-county-washington/281-e5a7fde2-3efa-4f70-ba29-9d725f314dd5

Maple Valley to Skykomish is 80 miles in a semi-circle.  There are plenty of locations where she could get lost much more easily in any number of directions from Maple Valley.  The parents make it sound like she was "just over the hill".  Of course they don't know why she was up there.

https://goo.gl/maps/ahWpMLQ3CwNNMGEn6

from doc reeves post (no link):

"...they said, she left the house around 8 or 9 a.m...."

Where she went during the day is unknown, but if she drove direct to the location where her car was found  between Skykomish and Stevens Pass she was there no later than 11am.

"At one point, she decided she was going to head up into the trails and try to get back into town, but little did she know that town was quite a ways off.

"His daughter “got turned around and lost,” and ended up spending the next eight days “wandering around up there for miles,” her father said."

Now the level of batshit stupid her dad is ascribing to her decision-making is approaching a level unmeasurable with current technology.  The only way you can drive on US2 is east or west.   The distance from Skykomish to Stevens Pass is 16 miles.  Even if we assume there was actually no traffic (which is bullshit) she was at maximum a 16-mile walk back to a town in the middle of the day.  Because there was no traffic and no one would stop to help a teenager walking alone on a mountain road which is the fastest route to Seattle from every city and town on US/Canada 97 from Kelowna to Wenatchee, a traffic catchment area exceeding 100k in population.

She got turned around.  On a 2-lane east-west federal road.  I'm out of gas on a well-traveled road, so I'm going to go perpendicular away from civilization and wander around in the woods.

Okay then.

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Because there was no traffic and no one would stop to help a teenager walking alone on a mountain road which is the fastest route to Seattle from every city and town on US/Canada 97 from Kelowna to Wenatchee, a traffic catchment area exceeding 100k in population.

No, they wouldn't, because the last time they did so, a bunch of bitchass Karens from Bellevue ended up getting them put on probation, complete with a restraining order, for "stopping to help a teenager walking alone on a mountain road."

You brilliant mfers are really stupid about one thing.  You keep trying to apply logic where it doesn't exist.

On 8/3/2020 at 11:15 AM, Doc Reeves said:

While the gag is absolutely adorable, the “last day of search” referred to the fact the expert mountain climbing search teams would not be funded after Saturday.

spoiler that shit man, cmon.

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

- The vast majority (at least 2/3rds) under the age of 40 are unable to look at a wall in a room without windows and tell you what direction they are facing.

I’m not sure I understand this.  If you walk me into some random room without windows I’m not going to be able to tell direction without a compass, unless I know the layout and orientation of the building.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

scattershooting while waiting for the starliner hop.....

Caveats:

- The vast majority (at least 2/3rds) under the age of 40 are unable to look at a wall in a room without windows and tell you what direction they are facing.  At least 1/3rd total and 50% of women under the age of 40 are unable to determine directions when they are outside.

- Situational awareness is actually DECREASING from Gen X (which was already abysmal) to the Zoomers who can't unplaster their cells from their foreheads.

Latlongs:

"...a Maple Valley teenager..."

"... crews found Fuda about two miles up a steep ravine along Highway 2 between Skykomish and Stevens Pass."

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/missing-maple-valley-teen-gia-fuda-found-alive-eight-days-later-king-county-washington/281-e5a7fde2-3efa-4f70-ba29-9d725f314dd5

Maple Valley to Skykomish is 80 miles in a semi-circle.  There are plenty of locations where she could get lost much more easily in any number of directions from Maple Valley.  The parents make it sound like she was "just over the hill".  Of course they don't know why she was up there.

https://goo.gl/maps/ahWpMLQ3CwNNMGEn6

from doc reeves post (no link):

"...they said, she left the house around 8 or 9 a.m...."

Where she went during the day is unknown, but if she drove direct to the location where her car was found  between Skykomish and Stevens Pass she was there no later than 11am.

"At one point, she decided she was going to head up into the trails and try to get back into town, but little did she know that town was quite a ways off.

"His daughter “got turned around and lost,” and ended up spending the next eight days “wandering around up there for miles,” her father said."

Now the level of batshit stupid her dad is ascribing to her decision-making is approaching a level unmeasurable with current technology.  The only way you can drive on US2 is east or west.   The distance from Skykomish to Stevens Pass is 16 miles.  Even if we assume there was actually no traffic (which is bullshit) she was at maximum a 16-mile walk back to a town in the middle of the day.  Because there was no traffic and no one would stop to help a teenager walking alone on a mountain road which is the fastest route to Seattle from every city and town on US/Canada 97 from Kelowna to Wenatchee, a traffic catchment area exceeding 100k in population.

She got turned around.  On a 2-lane east-west federal road.  I'm out of gas on a well-traveled road, so I'm going to go perpendicular away from civilization and wander around in the woods.

Okay then.

I’m not saying you are wrong, but I am saying you might be underestimating just how bad an 18 year old suburban white girls decision making skills can be. Clueless, they can be. 

Opening day, Antelope season, Valley County, Montana. 1985.  Two young hunters from the University of Michigan drove to northeastern Montana to try their luck at antelope hunting.  On opening day, one lets the other out and they agree to meet at such and such point at such and such time.  He didn't show up.  When darkness fell, the driver headed to the check station to report his friend as missing, and a search party was summoned.  They searched all night (27 degrees) and in to the morning to no avail.  A rancher's wife from out in the boonies saw something orange against a snow fence as she was driving the forty miles to the nearest grocery store.  A couple of hours later, as she was returning with her bags, the orange object had not moved.  She got out to investigate, and found the barely conscious Michigander in only his underwear and hi-vis hunter's orange plastic vest. The ambulance was summoned, and young Natty Bumpo whisked to safety.  In the ambulance, core temp was reported as 91 degrees, and his bp was about 70/40.  His bare feet were filled with thorns and mildly frostbitten, and his head was neatly creased from the path of an accidentally fired bullet from his .247.  It was theorized that he had discharged his weapon while climbing through a barbed wire fence and skimmed right down the part of his hair, and his badly concussed self reasoned that the colder he got, the more clothes he needed to shed. By the time he reached the ER, he was warming up and becoming more lucid.  CAT scan was normal, CPK (which demonstrates muscle injury) was 27,000 and thankfully kidney function was still nominal. About the time the doctor (me) was finishing his assessment, his frantic mother was on the phone.  I reassured her the best I could, convinced her that he would be home hail and hearty in nothing flat, and calmed her fears.  She thanked me profusely and asked if she could speak to him, so I handed the phone to the still groggy dude.  "Hi  Mom" he said, then scrunched his face in agony as he moved the receiver further and further from his ear.  Everyone in the room could hear the screaming shrieking and unbelievable blue tirade of reprimand coming from Mom.  Her language was befitting of the saltiest of merchant marines-it was indeed a thing of beauty.  Eventually the furor subsided and she allowed that she would leave immediately for northern Montana to retrieve her damaged son.  After hanging up, his buddy, who had been standing quietly in the corner all morning, approached the gurney and asked how he was feeling.  After answering positively,  unscathed college kid asks "If you're done hunting.....can I have your antelope tag"?

tldr-there are many strange sights in the northern lights. People do weird stuff when concussed and or hypothermic. Hunter's orange saves lives.

Is paranoia part of hypothermia?

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’m not sure I understand this.  If you walk me into some random room without windows I’m not going to be able to tell direction without a compass, unless I know the layout and orientation of the building.  

You know how I can tell you don't have a magnetic penis?

• Haha 1

That area (N. Cascades) is pristine, rugged, and remote. I can totally see some idiot running out of gas in the middle of the night, and instead of staying put, thinking, "I can just climb right up that mountain and get cell service and call for help." or worse, thinking "If I just cut right over that mountain, I'll be in town in less than an hour." Then get lost, dehydrated, and hypothermic, wander for eight days with no food, and end up only a mile from her car. It can get pretty chilly up in the mountains in central Washington at night. Its also a very damp, misty, temperate rain forest and she probably was wearing only shorts and a tee shirt. I'd bet it rained hard enough to soak her clothes at least once during that 8 day period, which might be why she took them off.

Even with maps, compass, orienteering skills, proper equipment, and common sense, its pretty easy to get turned around. When you are talking about an idiot teen with none of those, there is no need to second guess this story, its plenty believable as is.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

That area (N. Cascades) is pristine, rugged, and remote. I can totally see some idiot running out of gas in the middle of the night, and instead of staying put, thinking, "I can just climb right up that mountain and get cell service and call for help." or worse, thinking "If I just cut right over that mountain, I'll be in town in less than an hour." Then get lost, dehydrated, and hypothermic, wander for eight days with no food, and end up only a mile from her car. It can get pretty chilly up in the mountains in central Washington at night. Its also a very damp, misty, temperate rain forest and she probably was wearing only shorts and a tee shirt. I'd bet it rained hard enough to soak her clothes at least once during that 8 day period, which might be why she took them off.

Even with maps, compass, orienteering skills, proper equipment, and common sense, its pretty easy to get turned around. When you are talking about an idiot teen with none of those, there is no need to second guess this story, its plenty believable as is.

Of course you’d say all of that just to get a sniff of her.  

9 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The road runs east-west.

The sun rises in the east.

On the first morning, at sunrise, walk back to the road.

It's impossible not to know what direction you need to go.

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The road runs east-west.

The sun rises in the east.

On the first morning, at sunrise, walk back to the road.

It's impossible not to know what direction you need to go.

Hands Millennial a Houston Key Map.

Millenial:  Where is the search bar and how do I zoom in?

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hands Millennial a Houston Key Map.

Millenial:  Where is the search bar and how do I zoom in?

Hand Millennial a map.

Millennial: what is this?

It's a map.

Millennial: no, what exactly am I holding?

A piece of paper.

Millenial: Paper. That's what this is called?