Big 12 Approves 9 Conf and 1 Non Conf Games

BevoSwag

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

we owed LSU an ass whooping. fuck this shit.

Yep, wonder if the 1 non conference game means we’re not going to Baton Rogue since they canceled on us and we technically were still eligible to play them.  For LSU to get that home game their going to have to give us something ($$$, another home, or neutral site in Houston maybe).

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yep, wonder if the 1 non conference game means we’re not going to Baton Rogue since they canceled on us and we technically were still eligible to play them.  For LSU to get that home game their going to have to give us something ($$$, another home, or neutral site in Houston maybe).

Do you even pay attention to anything outside of your corona bubble? The SEC announced last month a 10 game conference only schedule, our game at LSU was already canceled. 

• Like 1

Just now, hornian said:

Do you even pay attention to anything outside of your corona bubble? The SEC announced last month a 10 game conference only schedule, our game at LSU was already canceled. 

Honestly I’m just trying to keep up, but I’m up to date on this one.  Because they canceled, we likely don’t have to make it up, but if our conference ruled on a conference only slate I’m sure they’re legal team would have argued that we still owed them a game.  Not a lawyer, but I’d bet the scheduling agreement had some contingencies in it.  But if I’m stupidly wrong that’s cool too.

For LSU to get that home game their going to have to give us something ($$$, another home, or neutral site in Houston maybe).

Doubt it. For one, at this point it'd be logistically very simple for all P5s to just push non conference games with each other back one year.

Non conference games get rescheduled from time to time and I'm sure there are provisions for that in the agreement between the schools. Next year's Arkansas game was supposed to be like ten years ago. If not next year then it may end up like 2035 or something, but it'll get played.

Any conference, including the Big 12, had the opportunity to step out in front and pool together a leadership panel of logistic and medical experts from within their schools or areas to brainstorm how to kick this situation in the balls as safely as possible.

Instead everyone is just reacting, watching, and hoping.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

As baseball has already demonstrated games will need to be canceled. So you will have to build open makeup weekends into the schedule timetable.

This. 

this season is going to be a mess and perhaps even a disaster. They need to spread the season out and slow shit down as shitty as that sounds imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

This. 

this season is going to be a mess and perhaps even a disaster. They need to spread the season out and slow shit down as shitty as that sounds imo. 

Yes, the season must be spread out.  Start 8/29 and build in lots of off weeks.

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Honestly I’m just trying to keep up, but I’m up to date on this one.  Because they canceled, we likely don’t have to make it up, but if our conference ruled on a conference only slate I’m sure they’re legal team would have argued that we still owed them a game.  Not a lawyer, but I’d bet the scheduling agreement had some contingencies in it.  But if I’m stupidly wrong that’s cool too.

CDC said it will be rescheduled.  When? Dunno.  But it will be eventually.  Zero chance LSU and Texas don't steamroll some poor C-USA non-conf opponent off the schedule to make it happen in the next couple years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

CDC said it will be rescheduled.  When? Dunno.  But it will be eventually.  Zero chance LSU and Texas don't steamroll some poor C-USA non-conf opponent off the schedule to make it happen in the next couple years. 

I just wish they would be more realistic. Have a real plan. Fans won’t be in attendance so why not more neutral site games so there is no overnight travel? 

Kansas teams and Iowa St should meet us in Dallas. In and out in same day. Besides keeping kids from partying it should be easier to keep the infection rate down if they just brought all of the players on to campus.

38 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I just wish they would be more realistic. Have a real plan. Fans won’t be in attendance so why not more neutral site games so there is no overnight travel? 

Kansas teams and Iowa St should meet us in Dallas. In and out in same day. Besides keeping kids from partying it should be easier to keep the infection rate down if they just brought all of the players on to campus.

Not allowed on the logistics panel.

• Like 1

I was really surprised the SEC caved after the ACC obviously tried to hold on to their traditional rivalry games with the SEC at end of season.  

I can't wait to hear how this is going to fall out with TV contracts.  ESPN lawyers and Fox Sports lawyers are probably in conference calls right now.  Probably like Boeing and the airlines trying to juke and shuffle what each is given.

The SEC will be fine from a TV standpoint. Hell, if anything, the networks are relieved that they don't have to broadcast the shit cupcake and FCS weekend games now. Instead of aggy/Sam Houston State on the SEC Network, it's aggy/Florida. Let's be honest, SEC OOC rivalry games aren't that compelling save Florida/Miami/FSU and that really hasn't been true since the early 00s. 

ACC will be fine as well. Now more teams get either to be on NBC or have Notre Dame as a televised home game. 

Edited by mdmost

2 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

As baseball has already demonstrated games will need to be canceled. So you will have to build open makeup weekends into the schedule timetable.

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

This. 

Yup. Here's my left-field proposal. Break the conference into divisions again between south (UT, BU, TT, TCU, WVU) and north (OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU). Each team plays their four division games, apply tie breakers if necessary, and let the winners duke it out in the CCG. That spreads games out where you could take 2-3 weeks off between games, and travel is minimal (except for WVU, but that's unavoidable). Yeah it sucks to have fewer games, and it'll become a nightmare if the CFP wants to give it a go, but maybe other conferences should do something similar. If the other conferences went to division only, that would be 6 games instead of four for the BIG and SEC. Maybe give each Big 12 team a cross division game, and 1 in-state noncon. I don't know, all I know is that 10 games is ridiculous and there will be cancellations with makeups being a clusterfuck if at all possible. Just accept that this shit is real and either go with a very shortened season or take the lumps and try again in 2021. And I say that as a fan of a school that has it's best team in a decade and probably for the foreseaable future.

2 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Any conference, including the Big 12, had the opportunity to step out in front and pool together a leadership panel of logistic and medical experts from within their schools or areas to brainstorm how to kick this situation in the balls as safely as possible.

Instead everyone is just reacting, watching, and hoping.

Which is why this shit ain't happening.

Maybe a week or two but I doubt even that.

Campuses are gonna be hotspots in no time. You're not gonna stop 20 year old kids from partying.

Edited by MotownHorn

Just now, mdmost said:

It's a shame given how frequently Army is the team having to travel away to play a big name team. One actually gives them a home and home and it's cancelled. 

Actually Army has recently hosted Stanford, Duke, Wake Forest, and it was going to have OU this season.   Because of their location and relative clout/ national audience, they do possess  a bit of leverage in negotiating these kinds of matchups.

I agree with your sentiment, though; it sucks for them to lose this big name opponent at Michie Stadium.

ok - so if the SEC canceled non-conference games and are just "playing with themselves", what happens (assuming the season makes it all the way) if an SEC team is in the playoffs?  Will they go ahead and play or are they going to keep hiding?

7 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

ok - so if the SEC canceled non-conference games and are just "playing with themselves", what happens (assuming the season makes it all the way) if an SEC team is in the playoffs?  Will they go ahead and play or are they going to keep hiding?

Just gonna have to be LSU, Georgia, Bama and another SEC team in the playoffs anyhow 

blOU playing their nonconf game early (Either Aug 29, Sept 5, or Sept 12) and making money off PPV since they own the broadcast rights vs Mizzu State.

Really believe it's better for Texas to play USF on Sept 5th or 12th, rather than play UTEP on September 19th...  UTEP has other games prior to the 19th and could end up canceling the Texas game if they have a Covid-19 outbreak.   

Thx for tweet below @Hiphopopotamos 

Quote:  "Head coach Dana Dimel’s Miners are set to open against Texas Tech in Week 1 (Sept 5th), travel to Nevada in Week 2 (Sept 12th), then play New Mexico State in Week 4 (Sept 26th)."

Edited by LTtxfan

I was really surprised the SEC caved after the ACC obviously tried to hold on to their traditional rivalry games with the SEC at end of season.  
I can't wait to hear how this is going to fall out with TV contracts.  ESPN lawyers and Fox Sports lawyers are probably in conference calls right now.  Probably like Boeing and the airlines trying to juke and shuffle what each is given.

6aed66f07ba92d6834b1999a08d8d77a.jpg

“Force Majeure??? Can an Act of God clause be invoked if there is no God????? If Coach Tubberville can be a United States Senator - clearly, there can be no God!!!! Roll Tahd!”
  • Haha 1

On 8/4/2020 at 10:19 AM, BevoSwag said:

I wonder if part of the thought was: "network wars", as B1G was 1st to go league-only & has contract with Fox on 3rd tier rights...
Knowing if PAC (no 3rd tier partner) follows, then ESPN is in a bind, as ACC & SEC will feel pressure to do same, (btw, XII is 9/10ts with ESPN on 3rd tier)...

I wonder if part of the thought was: "network wars", as B1G was 1st to go league-only & has contract with Fox on 3rd tier rights...
Knowing if PAC (no 3rd tier partner) follows, then ESPN is in a bind, as ACC & SEC will feel pressure to do same, (btw, XII is 9/10ts with ESPN on 3rd tier)...

I’m betting there will ultimately be no full season - even if they manage to have a week or two of prick tease games. So this is all off-season masturbation anyway. Unfortunately.

33 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I’m betting there will ultimately be no full season - even if they manage to have a week or two of prick tease games. So this is all off-season masturbation anyway. Unfortunately.

You might be (most likely) correct, but what if say 7+ games are played, would a champion be crowned by vote, old school..? It might just go down like that...

FCB...

USATODAY -- Texas Schedule projection:

Based on the new start date, here is Texas’ schedule based on the current lineup

• Sept. 12 – UTEP
  • Sept. 19 – BYE
  • Sept. 26 – @ Kansas State
  • Oct. 3 – Oklahoma (Dallas)
  • Oct. 10 – West Virginia
  • Oct. 17 – @ Texas Tech
  • Oct. 24 – Baylor
  • Oct. 31 – @ Kansas
  • Nov. 7 – TCU
  • Nov. 14 – Iowa State
  • Nov. 21 – @ Oklahoma State

Edited by LTtxfan