Bay Area/Napa/Portland road trip

Heading out at the end of August for almost 2 weeks. Starting out in SF midweek, then Berkeley for a few days (UNC vs Cal to open the season on Sat September 1). Sunday, we’re heading to wine country, then Tuesday or Wednesday, my wife and I are splitting from the other couple we’re going with and driving up the coast, finishing in Portland.

I’ve never been North of LA when on the West Coast, so any recs of restaurants, vineyards, breweries, and places to stay in Napa and up the coast would be appreciated. Any advice on Sonoma vs Napa? Stops between Northern California wine country and Portland? Thoughts on National Park/state parks?

I also really want to rent a fun car for the drive, but I only know of Turo for that and would prefer not having to return a car from Portland to the Bay Area.

Thanks!

Sonoma + Healdsburg over Napa if you want a more laid back experience absent all the bachelorette parties, bus groups, and tasting fees. 

Also highly recommend driving out to Mendocino/Fort Bragg - drive thru the redwood forest which eventually hits the 1 with incredible views. Other stops time permitting are Bodega Bay and Point Reyes although the windy road can be taxing. 

If you want the detour en route to Portland, Crater Lake is badass, and Bend is one of the coolest towns I've been to.

Edited by 6th Street
  • Like 1

Sonoma + Healdsburg over Napa if you want a more laid back experience absent all the bachelorette parties, bus groups, and tasting fees. 

Also highly recommend driving out to Mendocino/Fort Bragg - drive thru the redwood forest which eventually hits the 1 with incredible views. Other stops time permitting are Bodega Bay and Point Reyes although the windy road can be taxing. 

If you want the detour en route to Portland, Crater Lake is badass, and Bend is one of the coolest towns I've been to.

Thanks, 6S! This is why I pay dues here. As far as Crater Lake, is that a day trip, or should we try to stay on the lake or camp there?

36 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Crater Lake is a huge detour from the coast.  It is awesome and maybe what you want to do, but it is no simple detour from driving up the coast.

True. If you're coming up the 5 the detour is doable but a massive detour from PCH.

Oregon coast highlights are Coos Bay, the Dunes (rent 4 wheelers), Cannon Beach/Ecola State Park. 

• Like 1

Sonoma is a very cool old town set around a square....worth an overnight , for sure.  The Marin Headlines, across the Golden Gate, are nice, as is the town of Bolinas. The Francis Drake peninsula is rugged and remote, and has a nice herd of Elk...but everything on the coast heading north is rugged and remote. North of SFD peninsula is Tomales bay, which has good oyster farms and restaurants. Interesting to see the russian architecture thats further north - many folks don't know that they were once here, harvesting sea otters for their fur.

Edited by otisdog
  • Like 1