Fake Your Drone Training? You Can Never Be a Peace Officer in Texas Again

atomheartbevo

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/hays-county-elected-constable-loses-peace-officer-license-for-life-over-faked-drone-training/

At 4:45 p.m. on July 31, Ray Helm had just 15 minutes to go to uphold his end of a deal with the Texas Attorney General’s Office. He could either give up his law enforcement career or face possible prosecution related to his conduct in office.

As the business day ended, Helm submitted a form to the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement with his name inked across the bottom, forever surrendering every certificate and license ever issued to him by TCOLE.

That surrender also means Hays County Precinct 3 Constable Ray Helm will never be a peace officer in the state of Texas again.

In April 2018, Helm had three of his deputy constables show up to a field near Wimberley to help a drone company shoot an advertisement. They all showed up in uniform and in their taxpayer-provided police trucks.

The law enforcers would spend a total of about 10 hours on the shoot.

It took another 22 months before some of the deputies on the commercial shoot found out they’d received TCOLE-certified drone training credits for that outing.

Helm certified to TCOLE that he and his deputies received five hours of training credits from the drone shoot. At the time, Helm did not have any handwritten rosters or any signatures from the deputies related to the training, which is a TCOLE requirement.

Deputy Constables Donny Torres, Cody Cheatham and Gary Griffin all denied receiving training, and all said the shoot was solely for a commercial video requested by the private drone company.

So that's how you get a cop barred from being a cop in Texas, for the rest of their lives.

All this time, we thought it was things like murdering somebody in custody, being way too aggressive, lying on police reports, racial profiling, etc. that would get you banned for life.

Just getting them to fake 5 hours of training credits, and they are done for life.

That's what does it.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Fuck’em.

If you’ll lie about some petty shit like drone training, my guess is you’ll lie about the big stuff too.

How many other times did this guy lie?

I know it seems stupid that he can be banned for life for this, but the more accountable we hold police then the better they become.

Employees and people without account tend to be shitty employees and shitty people.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

JFC. There’s got to be more to this. It’s insanely hard to lose the ability in TX to be a “peace officer” 

Shit, I know of an officer in Killeen who raped a teen girl then when the heat turned up he just mover the Copperas Cove 15mi away. He retired a Lt. in the Temple or Waco PD. 

JFC. There’s got to be more to this. It’s insanely hard to lose the ability in TX to be a “peace officer”

Yes, there is. 

A retired Lieutenant Colonel (combat decorated, Army) I know through Scouts BSA (who has since moved out of our area) is a sort of gadfly regarding local politics.  It seems around 2 years ago one of this Constable's deputies pulled over his wife for something kinda jackass-ish & my Lt. Col. pal found out all sorts of shit.  I think the part that initially pissed him off the most is that these D.C's were trolling Highway 290 as a ca$h cow, writing tickets. 290 heavily traveled, yes, but is a minimum of 11.5 miles away from the area this guy's Precinct is based out of.

& After he starts digging around on Helm, he finds out a shitload more is going on, all Roscoe P. Coltrane style.  & Another irritation to my friend is that Helm gave himself a "4 Star" rank on his collar... for a guy whose "zone" is probably 5 square miles is my guess.

It can all be found here, on the website he & a friend put together: https://www.truthaboutrayhelm.com

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

Yes, there is. 

A retired Lieutenant Colonel (combat decorated, Army) I know through Scouts BSA (who has since moved out of our area) is a sort of gadfly regarding local politics.  It seems around 2 years ago one of this Constable's deputies pulled over his wife for something kinda jackass-ish & my Lt. Col. pal found out all sorts of shit.  I think the part that initially pissed him off the most is that these D.C's were trolling Highway 290 as a ca$h cow, writing tickets. 290 heavily traveled, yes, but is a minimum of 11.5 miles away from the area this guy's Precinct is based out of.

& After he starts digging around on Helm, he finds out a shitload more is going on, all Roscoe P. Coltrane style.  & Another irritation to my friend is that Helm gave himself a "4 Star" rank on his collar... for a guy whose "zone" is probably 5 square miles is my guess.

It can all be found here, on the website he & a friend put together: https://www.truthaboutrayhelm.com

I just have to be honest with you here. I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to explain. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I just have to be honest with you here. I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to explain. 

Let me 'splain it you you. Paper Server wanted to play SuperCop and fucked with the wrong guy. Paper Server got his shit put on blast. It's a common tale.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Fuck’em.

If you’ll lie about some petty shit like drone training, my guess is you’ll lie about the big stuff too.

I know it seems stupid that he can be banned for life for this, but the more accountable we hold police then the better they become.

Employees and people without account tend to be shitty employees and shitty people.

this

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Ray_Helm_Constable_of_the_State.png

I know we're not supposed to judge a book by its cover.....

But this guys just looks like he sucks. A LOT.

Why exactly do police militarize their outfits? I get we don't want police necessarily in tshirts and jeans but maybe they need to tone it down a bit. Still this isn't as bad as when they're wearing desert camo gear in the city. I dont' care if its free hand me downs from the army, I would embarrassed to wear them.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why exactly do police have to militarize their outfits? I get we don't want police in tshirts and jeans but maybe they need to tone it down a bit. Still this isn't as bad as when they're wearing desert camo gear in the city.

They do have a rank system generally across most departments.  They wear a badge.  The have a belt with their weapon/ cuffs/ gear on it.

Is that uniform threatening or imposing?

I'm in agreement with lampooning the idiot making himself a 4-star whatever and agree with questioning BDUs/ fatigues in an urban environment; but if you take that badge and the rank off, it looks like a uniform the  Fedex guy or  any  other worker might wear.

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

They do have a rank system generally across most departments.  They wear a badge.  The have a belt with their weapon/ cuffs/ gear on it.

Is that uniform threatening or imposing?

I'm in agreement with lampooning the idiot making himself a 4-star whatever and agree with questioning BDUs/ fatigues in an urban environment; but if you take that badge and the rank off, it looks like a uniform the  Fedex guy or  any  other worker might wear.

I agree. I'm not upset about wearing their rank but if you step back and think about it, it's silly. They're not a military unit. Most companies also have a ranking system but company directors or vice presidents don't have epaulets or collars on their shoulders indicating their position. At most you might see a title on their clip-on badge.

If you have to remind people that you are the king, then you are no king.  - Game of Thrones.

10 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Agree absolutely - there was somebody in the covid thread that mentioned they had an employee who lied to their boss about being symptomatic/sick, and several of us said the guy should have been fired on the spot.  If you're that comfortable with lying about stupid shit that can easily be discovered, you're probably very comfortable with lying about bigger shit that is harder to discover/fight.

It just blows my mind that they can violate the hell out of somebody's rights, lie about it, and still find work elsewhere.   Don't know if that says more about TCOLE or those departments.

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Ray_Helm_Constable_of_the_State.png

I know we're not supposed to judge a book by its cover.....

But this guys just looks like he sucks. A LOT.

And seriously, a 5-star general emblem?  There's only been like 8-10 of those ever. Colin Powell wasn't even one of them.  Even by police militarization standards, that's laying it on thick.

2 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

And seriously, a 5-star general emblem?  There's only been like 8-10 of those ever. Colin Powell wasn't even one of them.  Even by police militarization standards, that's laying it on thick.

At one point he claimed to have been an aggy, so really, we shouldn't be surprised, should we?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Yes, there is. 

Yeah, the incident causing him to lose his license was just the tip of the iceberg.

They really poked the bear when they gave Ari Axelrod’s wife that ticket. He is relentless.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Yeah, the incident causing him to lose his license was just the tip of the iceberg.

They really poked the bear when they gave Ari Axelrod’s wife that ticket. He is relentless.

Note to self:

Do not fuck with Ari Axelrod or his family.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

How do you know Ari?

(I tried to look up the website owner's info but apparently I'm a roofing contractor & not a web whatever).