Explosion in Beirut

Pancho

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

IF this was the govt storing dangerous chemicals, it shows that bureaucratic decisions/blunders can be worse than terrorists.

happened in cyprus about 10 years back. Us/UN confiscated munitions getting shipped to Syria. Cyprus Navy, powerfuckinghouse that is is, decided to store the shit over there somewhere. 

and one summer in the heat shit blew. killed a dozen folks and took out a power plant. one of the largest non nuclear explosions ever

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelos_Florakis_Naval_Base_explosion

this one appears to be bigger but who knows just now. those videos are cray

Edited by staboner
  • Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yep, says Joint Chiefs informed him that it was a direct assault with a “bomb”

not CR, not fake news.  CIC channeling top military intelligence to assert this was an “attack” with a “bomb”

If/when the joint chiefs say that, that’s news. 

...but was it a tremendous bomb?

• Like 1

has ANYONE seen any news reports talking about this being deliberate?

I ask because folks that I would consider rational are talking about the news (you can guess which one) saying this was a deliberaly set bomb.

Im trying to correct them  because even if the first explosion was a planned event, its really doubtful someone thought they would be setting off a bomb with 1/5th of the power of the Hiroshima bomb.

I mean hell, the initial fire could have been set because one of the workers didnt want to work today and the fire spreads causing a boom. 

4 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I ask because folks that I would consider rational are talking about the news (you can guess which one) saying this was a deliberaly set bomb.

Im trying to correct them  because even if the first explosion was a planned event, its really doubtful someone thought they would be setting off a bomb with 1/5th of the power of the Hiroshima bomb.

I mean hell, the initial fire could have been set because one of the workers didnt want to work today and the fire spreads causing a boom. 

To be fair it was more of an Earth shattering KA-BOOM...

• Like 1

Missed this due to a bonkers work day but: got DAMN.

Tianjin may have looked worse since it was at night and the fireball would have seemed brighter. But that vapor shockwave today...wow.

Spectacular and scary and tragic. I guess I hope it was an accident and not malice.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Eastwood said:

I'm not buying the fireworks angle. Sure, there were fireworks there, but I think there was something else in that warehouse. Not claiming anyone is an idiot for believing otherwise, but I just can't wrap my brain around an explosion like that being from just fireworks. It takes a large amount of human error (West/Texas City) or malice to get something like that .

It was a Flutterbye flying fairy doll.   Got fed up and decided to kill its owner and flew into their fireplace.

36 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I haven't seen any news reports, yet, but it would not be surprising in the least. If it was a bunch of explosive chemicals that could be used as rocket fuel for Hezbollah rockets, there is a list of people who would not be shy about hitting an enemy asset surrounded by civilians. The official position has quickly transitioned from fireworks, to confiscated sodium nitrate that had been there for over a year, to it possibly being 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate that was either about to be sent to Egypt or, according to one tweet, had been sitting there for 6 years.

Given the region, I just can't fathom how any government would allow that much explosive power sit on a dock that long.

13 hours ago, Eastwood said:

I haven't seen any news reports, yet, but it would not be surprising in the least. If it was a bunch of explosive chemicals that could be used as rocket fuel for Hezbollah rockets, there is a list of people who would not be shy about hitting an enemy asset surrounded by civilians. The official position has quickly transitioned from fireworks, to confiscated sodium nitrate that had been there for over a year, to it possibly being 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate that was either about to be sent to Egypt or, according to one tweet, had been sitting there for 6 years.

Given the region, I just can't fathom how any government would allow that much explosive power sit on a dock that long.

Typical tactic of Hezbollah.  Hide munitions among civilians in the hopes its enemies have a humanitarian streak.  No idea if that's what's going on here at all, but Ocams razor says It's an accident first before going into espionage.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No idea if that's what's going on here at all, but Ocams razor says It's an accident first before going into espionage.

I think his point is that occam's razor might say that intention is just likely as accident here.

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So without the radiation, was this in the same tier as a nuke?

No. I shared a tweet a page or two back where some rough calculations based on damage were pegging it in the 150-300 ton of TNT range. Hiroshima was 15,000. A bomb like that would have basically evaporated every building in the videos.

(Here is a before/after of Hiroshima - yes this is real)

0d156c2b1aaaf0a939f4f89b25585e6f.jpg

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

No. I shared a tweet a page or two back where some rough calculations based on damage were pegging it in the 150-300 ton of TNT range. Hiroshima was 15,000. A bomb like that would have basically evaporated every building in the videos.

Quickdraw Wiki types are saying 1.3kT at the moment for the big explosion.  W54 size.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Here you can see the explosions reacting off each other from within...but still looks like it hit something a lot bigger

Did someone yell "What the fuck!" at the beginning of that video? None of the rest of what is said sounds like English but I swear I hear WTF

Gotcha, missed your tweet. thanks for the info

17 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Gotcha, missed your tweet. thanks for the info

You weren't wrong.  Hiroshima is a pretty small nuke by todays standards as well.  This one would just be considered tiny, and probably not worth it to use because it's still a nuke, but it's in the range.  This isn't like the dipshits at USA Today talking about the MOAB with a 20 ton yield like we nuked Afghanistan with it.  

E:  Not worth it for a nation, I should say.  The big thing about that W54, which is what was in the Davy Crockett mentioned above, is that it's small.  While this was a warehouse full of shit going off, that thing weighed like 50lbs and could be backpacked around by some poor fucker engineer for demo, or attached to a launcher like a fat RPG.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Quickdraw Wiki types are saying 1.3kT at the moment for the big explosion.  W54 size.  

I've seen that figure too - but I believe it's arising from a straight conversion of 2.7kt of ammonium nitrate to TNT - which may or may not be accurate for various reasons. 

I'm trusting the damage-based estimate more - as it seems to align very well with the magnitude quake reported. A 1.3kT TNT explosion should have produced greater than a 3.3 reading on the richter.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I've seen that figure too - but I believe it's arising from a straight conversion of 2.7kt of ammonium nitrate to TNT - which may or may not be accurate for various reasons. 

I'm trusting the damage-based estimate more - as it seems to align very well with the magnitude quake reported. A 1.3kT TNT explosion should have produced greater than a 3.3 reading on the richter.

For some 'Rona lockdown style entertainment, go to the table/article of large non-nuke explosions on Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_artificial_non-nuclear_explosions#Rank_order_of_largest_conventional_explosions/detonations_by_magnitude) and F5 it to watch the neckbeards fight over whether it should be on there or not.  

Edited by MadBurgerMaker
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Is that a baseball field?

DOD says no indication it was an attack.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/politics/defense-officials-contradict-trump-beirut/index.html

Three US Defense Department officials told CNN that as of Tuesday night there was no indication that the massive explosion that rocked Beirut on Tuesday were an "attack," contradicting an earlier claim from President Donald Trump.

While speaking to reporters at the White House on Tuesday, Trump offered sympathy and assistance to the people of Lebanon after the explosion, which left dozens dead and thousands injured and he referred to the incident as a "terrible attack." An estimated 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate stored in a warehouse in the Port of Beirut exploded Tuesday, causing destruction throughout the Lebanese capital. As of Tuesday night, at least 78 people were reported killed and 4,000 injured.

But the defense officials, who declined to be identified so they could speak freely, said they didn't know what the President was talking about. 

One official said that if there were indications anyone in the region pulled something off of this scale, it would trigger automatic increases in force protection for US troops and assets in the region -- if for no other reason than worry about retribution attacks. 

That official noted that none of that has happened so far.

A Pentagon spokesperson said the Department of Defense was referring requests for comments to the White House.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

fucking stupid internet people.

yep, dude was 1-2 miles away alright... that might be close to 45 miles in fucked up internet math.

the fucking explosion happens and the sound wave hits in less than 2 seconds

thats somewhere around .3-.4 tenths of a mile there internet guy

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

yep, dude was 1-2 miles away alright... that might be close to 45 miles in fucked up internet math.

Math is really really hard

27 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

lebanese use the metric system, mister smarty pants.