Road Trip out of Dallas

C-Man

Due to a bit of drama in my life the past couple of days, my wife has suggested I take the kids and get out of town this weekend. I've got several options and open to other suggestions. This would be me, my soon-to-be-15-year-old daughter (couple of days) and my 12.5-year-old son. She's a typical teen while he's probably game for anything. We can always go down to SA and visit with my parents and stay with them but they've got some plans they'd need to move around and not sure all the things we'd do down there other than hang out.

Have also looked into Galveston and considering Rough Creek Lodge or maybe a trip through the Hill Country or somewhere west of the Metroplex. Wherever we wind up, if we're not at a place like Rough Creek I'd like to be able to relax and perhaps grill in the evenings. Access to water, or alongside a river would be a huge plus.

Open to any and all suggestions. Rough Creek would be on the high end of what I'm looking to spend on this getaway if that helps.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Due to a bit of drama in my life the past couple of days, my wife has suggested I take the kids and get out of town this weekend. I've got several options and open to other suggestions. This would be me, my soon-to-be-15-year-old daughter (couple of days) and my 12.5-year-old son. She's a typical teen while he's probably game for anything. We can always go down to SA and visit with my parents and stay with them but they've got some plans they'd need to move around and not sure all the things we'd do down there other than hang out.

Have also looked into Galveston and considering Rough Creek Lodge or maybe a trip through the Hill Country or somewhere west of the Metroplex. Wherever we wind up, if we're not at a place like Rough Creek I'd like to be able to relax and perhaps grill in the evenings. Access to water, or alongside a river would be a huge plus.

Open to any and all suggestions. Rough Creek would be on the high end of what I'm looking to spend on this getaway if that helps.

Rough Creek has a lot to do outdoors, and good food, but it's going to be pretty hot this weekend.  However, it's a relatively short drive for you compared to the other options you mentioned.  As for the others, I'd personally take SA (La Cantera, Hyatt or JW) over Galveston.  They have the pools/lazy river.  Horseshoe Bay is another option.

3 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Leave the kids with your wife and go out of town on your own.

If only it were that easy. Almost feel like going full Fandango with them. I've hardly seen them this summer due to camps and a couple of trips and they're not allowed back over here until they've quarantined after trips. The idea is to bond with them a little bit.

I've got a ranch in Kaufman County. Barn area needs to be mowed and fence lines need to be sprayed. That could be good bonding activities for you all. Got a nice tank full of bass. You can stay in the apartment attached to barn. Bring your own food and liquor. Make sure to keep the gates shut and don't feed the stray dogs or feral cats. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, C-Man said:

16 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Cabin in Broken Bow.

This.  There's a great lake plus streams on the Lower Mountain Fork where you can fly fish or just spinner fish for trout.  

14 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

I've got a ranch in Kaufman County. Barn area needs to be mowed and fence lines need to be sprayed. That could be good bonding activities for you all. Got a nice tank full of bass. You can stay in the apartment attached to barn. Bring your own food and liquor. Make sure to keep the gates shut and don't feed the stray dogs or feral cats. 

This actually could be a really good idea.  

41 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

This.  There's a great lake plus streams on the Lower Mountain Fork where you can fly fish or just spinner fish for trout.  

Lost Pines is booked full. Seems all the cabins on VRBO/AirBNB at Broken Bow are all rented as well.

32 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Lost Pines is booked full. Seems all the cabins on VRBO/AirBNB at Broken Bow are all rented as well.

Did you check around under "Beavers Bend" too? Might pull up some other options not on the lake but nearby.  Good luck.  Last minute trips are always a challenge.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I know this is probably a facetious suggestion, but I have never been to Ray Roberts.  How does it compare to the other local lakes?

White trash with a little money owns that lake.  Just look at the areas that surround it.  It’s a step above Lewisville, because you don’t have to deal with the Lake Dallas element.

Edited by conVINCEd

My parents have been pushing for us to come down to SA, partly because my daughter is turning 15 next week and they'd like to celebrate. She wasn't too thrilled about SA but she's been wanting to go to Austin for a bit now SO we are now thinking of coming down to Austin early Friday and spend the night, then drive down to SA and stay there on Saturday, driving back to Dallas on Sunday. Boring, I know but I seemed woefully behind on finding much else that might've sounded fun.

Quick question for Austin-ites -- is the protesting an every night, every weekend or sporadic kind of thing. I'd prefer to stay downtown or over in Zilker Park area but if there's going to be a bunch of bullshit downtown, it might make think otherwise. I think both would like to get some great Austin BBQ. Would love to knock out one or two places.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

My parents have been pushing for us to come down to SA, partly because my daughter is turning 15 next week and they'd like to celebrate. She wasn't too thrilled about SA but she's been wanting to go to Austin for a bit now SO we are now thinking of coming down to Austin early Friday and spend the night, then drive down to SA and stay there on Saturday, driving back to Dallas on Sunday. Boring, I know but I seemed woefully behind on finding much else that might've sounded fun.

Quick question for Austin-ites -- is the protesting an every night, every weekend or sporadic kind of thing. I'd prefer to stay downtown or over in Zilker Park area but if there's going to be a bunch of bullshit downtown, it might make think otherwise. I think both would like to get some great Austin BBQ. Would love to knock out one or two places.

Depends. Last couple of weekends hav been active for protests.  No clue for this weekend.  if you are worried, I’d avoid Congress (or anywhere just off Congress north of teh river)  or 2nd Street area.  Rainey STreet area (Kimpton Van Zandt) or even the Fairmont should be fine.  If you want to spend the $$$, go for the Four  Seasons.  No worries about protests there.  Plenty of places to get great BBQ awayy from teh protests — Terry Black’s, Valentina’s, Leroy & Lewis, Mickelwait, Stiles Switch all well away from any protests

Edited by AustinMT
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Depends. Last couple of weekends hav been active for protests.  No clue for this weekend.  if you are worried, I’d avoid Congress (or anywhere just off Congress north of teh river)  or 2nd Street area.  Rainey STreet area (Kimpton Van Zandt) or even the Fairmont should be fine.  If you want to spend the $$$, go for the Four  Seasons.  No worries about protests there.  Plenty of places to get great BBQ awayy from teh protests — Terry Black’s, Valentina’s, Leroy & Lewis, Mickelwait, Stiles Switch all well away from any protests

Thanks. Killer deal to be had at The Driskill but not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger on that. Not that we'd be out late but probably would be running around town or Hill Country until dinner or a little after.

Peticolas did a Wulaw trip out of town without his family (after being directed to the Wulawhorn saga).  He had a ball.  Check with him for his route.  I know the first stop was Paladura Canyon and there were some Black Hills on the high end of the latitude. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks. Killer deal to be had at The Driskill but not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger on that. Not that we'd be out late but probably would be running around town or Hill Country until dinner or a little after.

You’re looking in the wrong direction. It is August and hot as fuck.

Drive north, sir.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Wouldn't your kids prefer to go some place where it's not 85 degrees at 7am?

Take 281 to San Antonio or back from San Antonio and stay at Horseshoe Bay Resort for a day or two. Rent a cabana at the yacht club pool and stay out there all day. Did that last week and it was great. 

Your kids are probably still young enough to enjoy a drive through fossil rim in Glen Rose as well. 

Grab some bbq in Hico

https://pocampobbq.com

7 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Take 281 to San Antonio or back from San Antonio and stay at Horseshoe Bay Resort for a day or two. Rent a cabana at the yacht club pool and stay out there all day. Did that last week and it was great. 

Your kids are probably still young enough to enjoy a drive through fossil rim in Glen Rose as well. 

Grab some bbq in Hico

https://pocampobbq.com

I've been thinking of this plan for a month now.  How weird are the staff and patrons about wearing a mask around the property?  No, I'm not 'anti-mask,' just don't think that's warranted outdoors, in the pool, or in the spa.  

5 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

I've been thinking of this plan for a month now.  How weird are the staff and patrons about wearing a mask around the property?  No, I'm not 'anti-mask,' just don't think that's warranted outdoors, in the pool, or in the spa.  

Nobody is wearing masks in the pool/spa/tennis areas but yes, everyone is wearing them when walking around the property if other people are around. 

They do a good job about having people make reservations for the pool and then every 3 hours rotating people out with time to clean in between.