2020 Fall Camp Thread

BurntOrange&White

14 hours ago, Lhorn said:

What was the deal with Troy? I know Herman seemed to want him although there was concerns on here about his lack of speed. He was a Texas lean but verballed to aggy with a commitable Texas offer, then backed out and flipped to Texas? Anyone know why the back and forth?

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

You've pretty much got the gist of it. Very similar to Ossai in that he grew up in a maroon house because aggy apparently does a great job of convincing Nigerians that their school is the smart, practical pathway to good work and good jobs. Both staffs were concern about his lack of speed but aggy bit first.

Not exactly. There were factors in this recruitment that can't be reported on. I don't know why. Was told it wasn't my business and not to worry about it.

Texas was always all in on him, as was A&M. We use big men like him well, there wasn't much concern over his speed at Texas or A&M. That's smoke.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

Not exactly. There were factors in this recruitment that can't be reported on. I don't know why. Was told it wasn't my business and not to worry about it.

Texas was always all in on him, as was A&M. We use big men like him well, there wasn't much concern over his speed at Texas or A&M. That's smoke.

I also know things that I can’t tell people. I’m very important. 

Troy Omeire killed a man in Reno just to watch him die

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

All I understood from context of the (very minimal) conversation I had was that it was something A&M did, not Troy.

Did we ever settle on who they had to stop recruiting last year? Could it have been him?

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/texas-am-football-program-violated-ncaa-rules

Edited by KYHorn

Taylor Estes: Three Longhorns suffer injuries in first fall camp scrimmage

The Longhorns kicked off their first full scrimmage of fall camp Saturday morning as Texas football makes its way towards to upcoming football season. In a Zoom call held with local media Saturday afternoon, fourth-year head coach Tom Herman announced three Longhorns left the first scrimmage with injury and will continue to be evaluated.

Junior linebacker Juwan Mitchell and redshirt sophomore wide receiver Al'Vonte Woodard were the first two players to leave the field with 'stingers' according to Herman. True freshman wide receiver Troy Omeire was also hit with injury when he tweaked his knee in a non-contact play in Saturday's scrimmage.

"Juwan Mitchell and Al'Vonte Woodard had to be kind of helped off the field," Herman said following Saturday's scrimmage. "Nothing serious, it looks like both of them have a stinger or head issue, but (they were) fully functional and everything checked out well. Towards the end, Troy Omeire kind of tweaked his knee a little bit, non-contact just running a route and kind of caught the turf a little bit awkwardly, so we'll be evaluating him this afternoon."

Any injury to the linebacker position is a big hit for Texas as the position remains one of the biggest question marks on a talented defense that returns nine starters and a bevy of backup experience from last year's roster.

The positive news for Texas is these were the only three injuries Herman confirmed Saturday, however, two players have chosen to opt out of the 2020 football season due to concerns over COVID-19. As Horns247 previously reported, senior running back Daniel Young and senior defensive lineman Marqez Bimage have decided to sit out for the upcoming season, however, Herman is hopeful both guys are planning to re-join the team next year in hopes that the coronavirus pandemic begins to subside.

"You all know the two guys that have made the decision to not play this year. They will wait and see and hopefully rejoin our team on the field after the season," Herman said of Bimage and Young. "Obviously, we are in constant communication with them and they're doing a great job staying in shape and will do a great job with their academics."

As Horns247 has reported over the last few weeks, redshirt freshman wide receiver Jordan Whittington suffered a hamstring injury during summer workouts and was limited to open fall camp Friday, but his name not being on Saturday's injury report is a positive for the Texas offense, which is expected to heavily rely on Whittington's skillset throughout the upcoming football season.

(Chip Brown) Scrimmage Report: Details on Texas' first fall camp scrimmage

Texas held its first live scrimmage since mid-December on Saturday, and I'm told the defensive line was the star of the action as the defense prevailed.

There was injury news as linebacker Juwan Mitchell and receiver Al'Vonte Woodard were both helped off the field with what Tom Herman called stinger injuries, and freshman receiver Troy Omeire, who has been off to a great start through the first eight practices of fall camp, "tweaked his knee," Herman said, adding that a timetable for their returns won't be known until they're evaluated further.

For fans, they'd probably expect to hear names like Joseph Ossai, Ta'Quon Graham, Keondre Coburn and Moro Ojomo doing damage in the first fall camp scrimmage - and they did, scrimmage observers told Horns247. The defense usually leads the offense early in fall camp. But it was the plays made by young guys Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton, according to sources, as well as young linebackers Jaylan Ford and Jaden Hullaby that had the sidelines buzzing on Saturday.

Herman said he expected a sloppy scrimmage considering it was his team's first live scrimmage since mid-December when preparing for an Alamo Bowl victory over Utah. "There were too many false start penalties and pre-snap penalties on the offense and a couple pass interference penalties on the defense," Herman said. "It was sloppy, but the effort was great. I would've been disappointed if the effort wasn't there. But it was."

Herman said the first-team offense and second-team offense scored on touchdown drives while the defense managed "a few" three-and-outs. "The defense ended up winning it," Herman said. "Really pleased with the effort of the defense. We need some fine-tuning of execution all around, though, for sure."

We here at Horns247 have been reporting since fall camp started that first-year guys have been making notable plays — plays that matter, plays that have caught the attention of the entire team. We've mentioned the following freshmen at different times, after different practices as having done something to stand out: Omeire, Kelvontay Dixon, Bijan Robinson, Hudson Card, Ford, Hullaby, Xavion Alford and Jahdae Barron.

But Saturday, I'm told, it was really Collins who had teammates and coaches saying, wow. "He was giving the offensive line fits," one team source said of Collins. "It's early, but he's consistently showing up. He keeps this up, he'll be on the field early and often." When I pressed for details about whether Collins was making plays against the first-team offensive line, I was told, "First-team, second-team - the guy already has a real concept of leverage and how to use his hands, and he's competitive as hell. You can tell he wants it."

When I asked Herman specifically how his first-year guys were doing, he said, "Really impressed. Really impressed with almost all of them individually." And then he singled out Omeire and Robinson on offense as well as Collins, Broughton, Ford, Hullaby and Barron on defense. Herman was quick to note there have only been eight practices - and the team is only now getting into full pads. More than half of those eight practices have been without full pads.

On defense, Herman praised safety Montrell Estell as having a good first week. On offense, Herman praised receivers Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith. Herman said he opened up a vote to the whole team about which players they'd like to see on Herman's leadership council, and Herman said Jake Smith was voted on. "That says a lot about the respect Jake has earned from his teammates in just more than a year," Herman said.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don’t want to hear anything on them except that they are on a nutrition program and spending the year with Yancy.  We’re finally at a point in our program where we don’t need freshman OL on the two deep.

Man, sucks for Woodard.  He’s been injured every year to start camp.  Also hope the injuries to Mitchell and TO are not anything serious.  I was excited to see the hype around TO21.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well shit, poster on 247 Says Omeire has a partially torn ACL.

I will try to find a silver lining. He’s a true freshman. We have Eagles, Smith, Moore, Black, etc. We will be fine. It sucks we can’t see him this year but he Time is on his side 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Non-contact injuries are the fucking worst 😞 Apparently it was because his foot got caught in the turf. Yet another reason we shouldn't have moved away from grass.

bruh my wife is afraid of leaving the house so this season i get to attend the games by myself

lets meet up i will ask my fam to set up a couple thots 4 us 

• Fuck You 1

Been moving in to a new apartment all day, but as I went out to my truck one last time and got back in the elevator, I ran into Mitchell. Apparently he lives on the floor below me, and he seemed to be in good spirits and showing no real signs of anything serious which is great for LB depth.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

bruh my wife is afraid of leaving the house so this season i get to attend the games by myself

lets meet up i will ask my fam to set up a couple thots 4 us 

Just don’t let him speak. As soon as he does, the negativeness will drive them away. 

Just now, Mason Ramsey said:

Been moving in to a new apartment all day, but as I went out to my truck one last time and got back in the elevator, I ran into Mitchell. Apparently he lives on the floor below me, and he seemed to be in good spirits and showing no real signs of anything serious which is great for LB depth.

Do you drive for Uber? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2