2020 Fall Camp Thread

BurntOrange&White

35 minutes ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

No. They do not weigh enough and would not be able to put in needed weight before competition starts. Would not be prudent. 

We can revisit this next year. 

Maybe they can find some fat kids in the jester dining hall or double Dave's then 

Ideally, you wouldn't have a true freshman - A. Karic - backing up up your All American LT.  But after seeing his workout videos and highlights after his commitment, I have high hopes this guy is going to be special.  IIRC, he was an under-rated stud at the time of commit and maybe even a 3 star.  Really excited to see him break into the 2 deep and learn from the best.

Found the training vids --- https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2019/7/30/20748192/2020-texas-ot-commitment-andrej-karic-has-ceiling-southlake-carroll-tackle-longhorns-football

This guys moves so smooth.

Edited by Hmmm

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Our DB depth is in the best shape it's been in 15 years. CBXV balled out towards the end of the year so while I'm surprised he's starting,I'm not that surprised if that makes any sense. Foster will ultimately be in the field more than he does I'd be willing to bet. 

Chris Brown is a bad bad man!  Not only did he ball out later in the year, he also had one of the best plays against LSU of all our DBs.  I think he’s going to play himself into the draft, no doubt in my mind.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Did Byron Vaughns washout or get injured? Not on the depth chart with our less than stellar depth at LB and listed as squad on the roster ... I recall him playing some late last year.

Late August...

Humidor:  "Depth behind Ossai is unsettled.  Vaughns missed some time for non-football related issues. He’s still expected to be a valuable contributor this year. My source continues to rave about Bush’s ability."

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Chris Brown is a bad bad man!  Not only did he ball out later in the year, he also had one of the best plays against LSU of all our DBs.  I think he’s going to play himself into the draft, no doubt in my mind.

spacer.png

Also funny to look back and recall he was supposed to be the package throw in to get Dontavius Jackson 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

(Chip Brown) Morning Brew: Hummer and I both have Texas in CFP

Good Morning Horns247!! My man Chris Hummer, national college football writer for 247Sports, has also seen the light and, like myself, has Texas winning the Big 12 and in the College Football Playoff this season. I say this for a couple reasons: 1) Hummer is a smart guy; 2) If my prediction falls short, I don't want to be the only one blamed as some kiss of death!! Bwahahaha!!

Hummer told me today on The Bottom Line on AM 1300 The Zone (6-9 am CT weekdays) in his regular 7 am CT interview spot that he believes five-time defending champion Oklahoma "is down a little bit" from last year, because defensive lineman Jalen Redmond (6.5 sacks in 2019) and leading rusher Kennedy Brooks have both opted out, middle linebacker Caleb Kelly is injured, and stud defensive end Ronnie Perkins and running back Rhamondre Stevenson might miss the first quarter of the season under suspension.

"There's really no excuses for Texas this season," Hummer said. Agreed!! Like myself, Hummer has Texas in the College Football Playoff with Alabama, Clemson and Florida. Hummer said he initially had Georgia in the CFP but changed that after UGA quarterback Jamie Newman opted out of the 2020 season to prepare for the NFL.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks.  Yeah just heard Marcus Washington may have minor lower body or tweaked knee injury??

Nahlin just said on radio interview that off the field things that were out of Marcus' control has kept him out of practices... Said not to worry, Marcus will definitely be back for B12 games.  😁

6 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Actually dumb. Eliminating the chance at a big return that could spark life into the team.

Imagine if it was the same rule and Ship never returned that kick vs OU.

If your aunt had balls...

You think it's dumb, which is a valid opinion.  But how would you feel when someone takes it at the 5 and is brought down at the 10, when it could have been at the 25?  Or runs around taking 15 seconds off the clock to end up at the 12?  Coaches are risk adverse and being on the 25 is a nice place to start a drive with the full playbook available.

7 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Actually dumb. Eliminating the chance at a big return that could spark life into the team.

Imagine if it was the same rule and Ship never returned that kick vs OU.

It’s not dumb. Very few, if any, teams average starting at the 25 or bette riff kickoffs. You take the touchback and improve your average starting field position, unless it’s a specific scenario like minimal time left. 

58 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

That was an insane catch by Omeire at 1:00. Really sucks he doesn’t get to play this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If your aunt had balls...

You think it's dumb, which is a valid opinion.  But how would you feel when someone takes it at the 5 and is brought down at the 10, when it could have been at the 25?  Or runs around taking 15 seconds off the clock to end up at the 12?  Coaches are risk adverse and being on the 25 is a nice place to start a drive with the full playbook available.

I’ll always take the chance of being able to start near midfield over netting 5-10 yards and completely eliminating the other chance. We’re the only team I see consistently doing this as well. If you have other examples I’ll be glad to see them. But as far as I know we seem to do this more than any.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

I think if everyone left it alone, the issue would resolve itself. Some people would sing and some wouldn't and we would all go our merry way. Unfortunately, the news loves drama. By having the media bring it to the forefront, I foresee animosity being generated by both sides.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

I’ll always take the chance of being able to start near midfield over netting 5-10 yards and completely eliminating the other chance. We’re the only team I see consistently doing this as well. If you have other examples I’ll be glad to see them. But as far as I know we seem to do this more than any.

I don't watch other teams and I'm not going to try and find examples of other teams doing this - it's not exactly highlight material.  

I do know for a fact that some kickers are taught to kick it higher in the air in favor of distance hoping some idiot (maybe you) on the other team will not fair catch.

Edited by Hmmm
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1