2020 Fall Camp Thread

BurntOrange&White

Sooo, how severe is this hamstring injury?  I don’t know how I feel about Whittington getting too many reps since it’s been reported he’s not back yet to his speed from last year.  It would be soul crushing to see him get injured again his first game back.

I’d go with:

X- Black

Z- Eagles (he played there last year)

H-  Moore with Whittington getting maybe 15-20 or so snaps to ease him back.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Sooo, how severe is this hamstring injury?  I don’t know how I feel about Whittington getting too many reps since it’s been reported he’s not back yet to his speed from last year.  It would be soul crushing to see him get injured again his first game back.

I’d go with:  X- Black   Z- Eagles (he played there last year)  H-  Moore with Whittington getting maybe 15-20 or so snaps to ease him back.  

Damn WR room already taking a big hit.  Glad they picked up Schooler...

• Troy Omeire out
  • Jake Smith out
  • Kelvontay Dixon doubtful
  • Marcus Washington doubtful
Edited by LTtxfan

19 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I’d go with:

X- Black

Z- Eagles (he played there last year)

H-  Moore with Whittington getting maybe 15-20 or so snaps to ease him back.  

Is Whittington currently a full-go in practices or still limited?

Damn WR room already taking a big hit.  Glad they picked up Schooler...
  • Troy Omeire out
  • Jake Smith out
  • Kelvontay Dixon doubtful
  • Marcus Washington doubtful
Are you seeing something that Jake Smith is definitely out? All I see is the Chip Brown tweet, which says he is doubtful. Granted, a hamstring injury on Wednesday probably means he is out on Saturday...

13 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
49 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Are you seeing something that Jake Smith is definitely out? All I see is the Chip Brown tweet, which says he is doubtful. Granted, a hamstring injury on Wednesday probably means he is out on Saturday...

4ef7ey.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

Sounds like the Smith injury is minor. Per OB. 

"I can confirm Texas receiver Jake Smith is expected to miss the season opener against UTEP on Saturday due to a hamstring injury. 247 was the first outlet to report Smith's injury.

According to my sources, Smith's injury is minor. I was told if Texas was facing Oklahoma on Saturday, Smith would play. However, the Longhorns are not willing to risk Smith's long-term health against UTEP.

Instead, Smith is expected to rest this weekend and play against Texas Tech on September 26.

In addition, my sources inside the building told me Texas will likely utilize its 12-personnel against UTEP in Smith's absence. There is a lot of confidence in the tight end group, and it appears Smith's injury will give us an opportunity to see the Longhorns in that formation on Saturday."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Watched all access tonight.  Team looks fucking sharp.  This team is hungry and has the talent to be very fucking good.  Like others have said, when your most talented players are your hardest workers, that attitude permeates through the program.  I’m excited to see us fuck up UTEP.

Only way to watch that is through LHN?

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I know WR injuries are an issue this week, but the tight end group is pretty clearly weaker than the WR and RB groups.  Having Brewer and Epps/Wiley both on the field while Bijan, Rojo, Whittington, and Eagles are on the sidelines doesn’t make much sense from a get your best 11 on the field standpoint.  I wouldn’t even be surprised if Rojo at his current weight (up to about 230) is a better blocker than most of our TEs.   

It also goes against pretty much every prevailing trend in college football in an era when even Bama and LSU are playing with 3 or 4 WRs.

Hopefully that’s a UTEP specific solution and the plan isn’t for 12 personnel to be a big part of our base offense in general.  

Almost all the top offenses are multiple. I don't see it being a big part of the base offense but I'm not surprised they like the options out of 12 personnel. I think Wiley is going to be a stud and then you have some flex options with Brewer, Epps, and Liebrock. 

I think a lot of people are basing the TE group on last year's group. Brewer was injured for large parts of the season, Liebrock/Wiley were true FR, and Leitao was awful at TE. 

The staff has been hyping the TE group and I don't think it's a coincidence based on the results in the scrimmages. 

51 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I know WR injuries are an issue this week, but the tight end group is pretty clearly weaker than the WR and RB groups.  Having Brewer and Epps/Wiley both on the field while Bijan, Rojo, Whittington, and Eagles are on the sidelines doesn’t make much sense from a get your best 11 on the field standpoint.  I wouldn’t even be surprised if Rojo at his current weight (up to about 230) is a better blocker than most of our TEs.   

It also goes against pretty much every prevailing trend in college football in an era when even Bama and LSU are playing with 3 or 4 WRs.

Hopefully that’s a UTEP specific solution and the plan isn’t for 12 personnel to be a big part of our base offense in general.  

Am I the only one thinking this helps maximize the running game?  I mean I like the idea of two extra blocking surfaces for more downfield blocking and more holes for the RBs.  Not as a base for the season but for sure as a change up.  

5 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Hopefully jake smith is being held out as a precaution and it’s not that big of a deal.

After last year with Collin Johnson I'm betting the staff is taking a different approach with hamstring injuries. I get trying to play him against LSU but he was nowhere close to 100%. Long-term we probably would have been much better off if Johnson didn't play the LSU game and rehabbed the hamstring issue from the LA Tech game.