2020 Fall Camp Thread

BurntOrange&White

38 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Welp, we're fucked now

Should.

This word blows, but seems to rear its ugly head around a lot of things our football team does. I'm ready for the ball to start bouncing our way this season and get us back on track. Here's to "Did."!

Hook 'Em, Horns!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

uh oh

They are already in the COA case counts so it doesn't impact anything from that perspective. I will be curious as UT just had to add 109 cases back into their data set from students and staff that had tested positive outside of the UT testing process but then in turn did not self-report as asked to UT.

UT is now up to a total since March of 611 students and 181 faculty/staff that have been CV19 positive.

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, it was on LHN.  They'll have it replaying I'm sure.  Compare how our team looks and how they look in the drills vs the aggy cbs video showing highlights of their training camp.  There's a reason aggy doesn't want to play us right now.  We look leagues better than them.  The fact they people have them ranked ahead of us is laughable.  We'd wipe the floor with them.  

Couple of things.

-  Herman has a fantastic support staff in place.  I don't think Mack or Charlie ever cared to fully maximize the resources at Texas.  Herman has.  They mentioned others schools across the country are calling Texas on how to handle Covid-19.  Players are getting tested 3 times a week.  We can test them every day if we can.  Only other organization testing more than Texas football is the NBA.

-  They showed a few clips of special teams coaching.  Boulware knows his shit.  Glad he's running special teams.

-  QBs look fucking good.  Hudson Card is going to start the next 3 years.  I have 0 doubt about this.  He's clearly a better passer than JQJ and Thompson and he was making his reads and getting the ball out quicker than Sam in some of the clips where they are training.  You can tell he's been coached up his whole life.  His footwork and mechanics are well ahead of most freshman.  He's also spent time in the gym and looks like he belongs out there.

-  This is a mature team that is 100% bought in.  The leaders on this team are the best players and the hardest workers.  That permeates through to the rest of the team.

-  I hate to say this... Malcolm Epps looked good in a few clips.  They showed his 2 TD catches in the 1st scrimmage.  Hopefully he's bought into TE and hopefully we use him to his strengths.  He's got insane height and length and he has great hands.  He just needs to realize he's 6'6 and fucking get physical and block.  

-  They had a few clips of Troy Omerie.  He's a physical specimen.  How the fuck did we shit on him all through his recruitment.  Sucks that we lost him because he looks like the best WR on the team and it's not close.  He made some fucking jaw dropping catches.  Tarik Black looks good too.  That was a fantastic pick up by the staff.

Just a few things I noticed from the all-access episode.

Kool-Aid be flowin', and my ass is thirsty.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, it was on LHN.  They'll have it replaying I'm sure.  Compare how our team looks and how they look in the drills vs the aggy cbs video showing highlights of their training camp.  There's a reason aggy doesn't want to play us right now.  We look leagues better than them.  The fact they people have them ranked ahead of us is laughable.  We'd wipe the floor with them.  

Couple of things.

-  Herman has a fantastic support staff in place.  I don't think Mack or Charlie ever cared to fully maximize the resources at Texas.  Herman has.  They mentioned others schools across the country are calling Texas on how to handle Covid-19.  Players are getting tested 3 times a week.  We can test them every day if we can.  Only other organization testing more than Texas football is the NBA.

-  They showed a few clips of special teams coaching.  Boulware knows his shit.  Glad he's running special teams.

-  QBs look fucking good.  Hudson Card is going to start the next 3 years.  I have 0 doubt about this.  He's clearly a better passer than JQJ and Thompson and he was making his reads and getting the ball out quicker than Sam in some of the clips where they are training.  You can tell he's been coached up his whole life.  His footwork and mechanics are well ahead of most freshman.  He's also spent time in the gym and looks like he belongs out there.

-  This is a mature team that is 100% bought in.  The leaders on this team are the best players and the hardest workers.  That permeates through to the rest of the team.

-  I hate to say this... Malcolm Epps looked good in a few clips.  They showed his 2 TD catches in the 1st scrimmage.  Hopefully he's bought into TE and hopefully we use him to his strengths.  He's got insane height and length and he has great hands.  He just needs to realize he's 6'6 and fucking get physical and block.  

-  They had a few clips of Troy Omerie.  He's a physical specimen.  How the fuck did we shit on him all through his recruitment.  Sucks that we lost him because he looks like the best WR on the team and it's not close.  He made some fucking jaw dropping catches.  Tarik Black looks good too.  That was a fantastic pick up by the staff.

They also gave Overshown a real platform and he read his entire "Am I next" tweet and did a very nice job. Considering the ebbs and flows with him I thought that was a really smart job by Herman to have this happen as you hope it really focuses him. They showed Ossai from his ESPN panel and he is just a really impressive young man. Very insightful and mature beyond his years.

I concur re: Boulware, where he was showing the blockers crossing their legs vs shuffling was really good and calling players out the right way to show examples of what worked and didn't work in same play was good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm not sure buttchugging kool aid is medically advisable, but shine on you crazy diamond.

Whatever. It. Takes.

For what it's worth, in January/February I'll take a step back and assuredly lament falling for the burnt orange heroin once again, but it's so hard to resist at the beginning of the season. So many unknowns, which is why I should temper my expectations a bit, but I want to see Texas back on top and not just some paper tiger.  Here's to a good season, whatever that may mean. 🤘 

Edited by Droopy

12 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Whatever. It. Takes.

For what it's worth, in January/February I'll take a step back and assuredly lament falling for the burnt orange heroin once again, but it's so hard to resist at the beginning of the season. So many unknowns, which is why I should temper my expectations a bit, but I want to see Texas back on top and not just some paper tiger.  Here's to a good season, whatever that may mean. 🤘 

Have fun with it man.  For what it's worth, seems like the coaches are telling the players this is the year if they want to win a championship.  Guys look hungry for a trophy.

Also, I'm pissed we aren't playing LSU.  Watching them break in 16-18 new starters with a new OC and DC against a veteran Texas team would have been fun.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, victory88 said:

-  They had a few clips of Troy Omerie.  He's a physical specimen.  How the fuck did we shit on him all through his recruitment. 

He got injured his junior year and then had a couple of shitty camps and ran that shitty 4.7 40 time while he was recovering.  By a couple of games into his Senior year it was obvious that he was fully healed from the injury and a stud.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Couple of things.

I'm in. Show me a loss!!!

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

He's going to lose to Jackson in the Spring

14 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I want to see some of this in the slot with Bijan. This is Hubbard when Yurcich was there. 

https://gifs.com/gif/20181110-fb-oklahoma-vs-osu-full-game-nxy5G7

I haven't read much this off-season about two-back sets but Ingram, RoJo, and Bijan all have receiving skills and could really stress defenses with motion between the backfield and slot. The new grad transfer makes the position a pretty legit 4-deep too so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work that in, especially now that we are banged up at WR.

I just can't imagine how our offense would be better with Epps/Liebrock as the 5th skill player on the field and not Bijan.

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Really amazing the school has the resources for this.

Of course those students are probably going to go right to a party in some sweaty frat right after the game but oh well.

One of the professors developed a spit test that they've been using for about a month or so.  They can link the test to the student ID.  I'm guessing they are using this for the students.  It is a great resource to have.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mikey4 said:
17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Are you seeing something that Jake Smith is definitely out? All I see is the Chip Brown tweet, which says he is doubtful. Granted, a hamstring injury on Wednesday probably means he is out on Saturday...

16 hours ago, Mikey4 said:
16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Well, not really, but whatever. You're guessing he's out because Chip said he's doubtful. Got it.

😁  Ok does this work for yah @Mikey4     😁

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2