Trading Card Collecting

RockyMountainHighHorn

While being locked down did anyone nerd out and pull out there trading card collections from when they were younger? Won’t discriminate here with kind-mine was Pokémon and sadly was a month too late to get in the market before the boom. Still crazy to see a market explode like it has as well as bringing back the childhood memories. Also, if you have any old card collections and haven’t pulled them from it’s box, you should. Always wondered when ______ would be worth something? Now is probably the time. 

My brother and I were at a card convention on Austin, about September 1992. He was a Packers fan, mainly to piss of Cowboys fans. Typicla teenage iconoclast. Now we would call it being an jerkoff edgelord. Anyway, this guy with  a righteous cleft lip surgical scar had Don Majkowski's (1989 Pro Set rookie) for 75 cents. Beckett had it listed for $2.50! We checked it twice. You can fit 9 cards per plastic three ring sheet. Bro bought 27 of em. Three solid pages of ole Majik Don bootlegging to the right. It was glorious. Twenty two hours later he tore up his knee, and Brett Favre started the next 275 games straight. 

• Haha 3

I bought several of "the" Bo Jackson card (black and white, wearing shoulder pads and holding a bat) for $6 a piece and remember checking Beckett magazines and watching it raise and raise and raise. Being 9 years old, when it hit $12i thought I would be rich. Then he got hurt and it plummeted.

I had thousands of cards, sorted by team and alphabetical order in 3 ring binders. Now I think all I have left are a few of my favorites that are stuffed in a shoe box stuffed in the top of my closet. Haven't look at the in years.

I went through a phase back in 2017-2018 where I started buying baseball cards and memorabilia off of eBay.  Mostly older cards like Mantles, Mays, Banks, Clemente, etc.  One thing I picked up that I had always wanted was a Jordan rookie with a PSA 9 grade.  Think I paid around $3500 for it.  I pulled the cards out a few months ago just to see what they were going for and pricing.  I was shocked that the Jordan had shot up to around $9k-$10k, coming off the broadcast of the Last Dance.  I flipped that thing immediately.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 1:40 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

I went through a phase back in 2017-2018 where I started buying baseball cards off of eBay.  Mostly older cards like Mantles, Mays, Banks, Clemente, etc. 

Doing this right now. Been about a month and waiting for the phase to end as it’s getting somewhat expensive. 
I hadn’t looked at my cards in probably 15 years before this last buying frenzy.  Now have a pretty decent collection of 50s-70s HOF’ers (Mays, Aaron, Mantle, etc) and all the rookies of the “recent” HOF’ers (Ripken, Gwynn, Puckett, Biggio, etc).  I don’t think I have a card in my collection newer that 1999. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 10:31 PM, EZ$ said:

Doing this right now. Been about a month and waiting for the phase to end as it’s getting somewhat expensive. 

Told my wife I was about done buying about two months ago.....well, these came in this week.

101C0BDE-BE3A-4909-9D58-24330C14FE59.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, destroya said:

Garbage Pail Kids. Probably have a hundred or so in my old closet. 

just checked eBay and some of these cards are going for 25k. 

That's upsetting. 

I had complete sets of the first 4-5 series, and then a decade later I brought a ton of them back to my dorm after Christmas break my freshman year and stuck the stickers all over the doors belonging to anyone with a matching name. 

5 hours ago, WillUSAF said:

Those are SWEET! I love that Yogi

Had a PSA 4 of the same 52 Topps, but sold it to my cousin for what I paid. You can find some decent deals on EBay if you look hard enough. Not sure what the pricing looks like at card shows or card shops (if there’s even such a thing anymore).

31 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Had a PSA 4 of the same 52 Topps, but sold it to my cousin for what I paid. You can find some decent deals on EBay if you look hard enough. Not sure what the pricing looks like at card shows or card shops (if there’s even such a thing anymore).

I shop on Ebay all the time

43 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Those 84 Fleer Updates were fucking hard to get back in the day.

Only a handful of graded ones are on EBay and they are priced at a premium.  
Missed a PSA 9 Puckett for around $250 (books around $315) when my phone screwed up during bidding.  

I dabble in this stuff, but my focus has always been on the older stuff.  I got 2/3 of the way to a 33 Goudey set before I sold it off for a profit.  Haven’t done much in the last 5 years.  84 Fleer update was the peak of my childhood collecting.  Clemens, Puckett, and Gooden.  

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

This has me wanting to go to my parents house and dig up all my baseball cards. I had a few "special" ones that I have in a case but I have several baseball and basketball sets from the 80s it might just be fun to look through.

The Jordan rookie cards have become really fucking expensive.  If you have some of those they are worth digging up.

• 4 weeks later...

I grabbed my card collection the other day and started looking through. Tons of loose stuff and several complete sets but here are a few of the “special” ones I had already set aside.
feabded61ddb6fbc9166ea437842e05e.jpg

Looking through these sure take me back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk