Kansas is Hopeless...

Jhawk

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm tempted to pile on, but I'm fully aware that we could lose in Lawrence this year.

There is only one coach in the Big 12 who has ever lost to Kansas.  That would be Dana 5 years ago.

PS: No, I'm still not a big Dana fan.  I would party with him, but he just hasn't done what he was brought here to do or even maintain what we did.

40 minutes ago, Whitman said:

There is only one coach in the Big 12 who has ever lost to Kansas.  That would be Dana 5 years ago.

PS: No, I'm still not a big Dana fan.  I would party with him, but he just hasn't done what he was brought here to do or even maintain what we did.

In all fairness, there's a big difference in competition that makes maintaining what you did more than a maintenance job.

The excuses have started. Days ago our AD stated we have 63 scholarship players. Yesterday the head coach did we have 73. Reminds me a lot of the Baylor game where the AD and coach were bragging that they’ve almost got the roster rebuilt. They have maintained that we can’t come close to conpeting until we have 85 scholarship guys. Until we lost to Baylor. Then they were trying to say Baylor had more scholarship players than us. 

So the deception has already started months before the season. The best part... Beaty followed up his scholarship statement by saying he needs 3 more years to get the numbers there. 

A quote from our fearless, no excuses, coach.

“I just go back to 2015 and you take away the same number of scholarships from Oklahoma or Texas or Baylor or Iowa State or anybody — if you take away ours, the same number of scholarships from any of those teams — it’d be interesting to see where they turn out,” Beaty remarked.

This Quote is true for year one. Maybe year two. But this quote comes immediately after he said he needs three MORE years to get the scholarship count to 85. So a 6 year turnaround. Interesting. I’d submit the evidence of Baylor, who crushed us by 30 at home with fewer players. I’d also submit UAB who had zero program for 2 years, brought it back, and went to a bowl game in year 2. 

Our coach is not only a bad coach but he is a deceitful piece of shit. 

Here is what Beaty said August of 2017

“We said long ago that Year 3 should be a year where we start seeing dividends,” Beaty said, “because of the amount of time that we’ve had with our guys to develop them.”

what are dividends??? He explains...

“It’s about winning and losing in college football. Dividends are reflected in wins,” Beaty said. “We have to win football games. That’s a requirement for programs to survive in this day and age.”

So Beaty has said he can’t be expected to compete without a full roster. So no dividends before 85 on the roster. And he said 85 could take “3 years or more” from now. So he needs 6-8 years to build a roster and get more than D1aa wins. 

This is ku football. 

Edited by Jhawk

I kept having '92 Colo vs Nebraska show up on my youtube list so I finally watched it today.  Nebraska #8, Colorado #8....but the intro story was that neither was leading the Big 8.  Both had future meetings with Big 8 leading..........................Kansas, ranked number 18 and undefeated in Big 8 play.  They had already beaten Okie State that day, 26-18.  KU should have made sure Glen Mason retired there.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

I kept having '92 Colo vs Nebraska show up on my youtube list so I finally watched it today.  Nebraska #8, Colorado #8....but the intro story was that neither was leading the Big 8.  Both had future meetings with Big 8 leading..........................Kansas, ranked number 18 and undefeated in Big 8 play.  They had already beaten Okie State that day, 26-18.  KU should have made sure Glen Mason retired there.

Minnesota should't have let him go either...

As expected, KU had a spring practice and not a spring game.  We had less than 1000 people in the stands.  Some speculated that it was actually less than 500. 

I have also been informed that we ran zero live plays and have not had any live scrimmage all spring. 

We are going to do our damnedest to lose to nicholls in week 1. 

Edited by Jhawk

20 juco players on that roster.  Only 3 are from a Kansas juco.  Three.  In contrast, KSU has 15 from KS jucos and 5 from out of state.

The state of KS has one of the more extensive juco football leagues and many times a team from the conference is competing for the national title.  Hell, Butler juco alone has 7 guys that were either drafted or signed as UDFA.

Edited by BlueGreySky

10 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

How in the fuck? Like someone else said, there's a shit ton of jucos. Not to mention even signing even the worst high school kids just to fill out a roster. How is this even possible? 

Or, worst of worse case scenarios, just back up the Brinks truck to hire the best defensive coach off the KSU staff to replace Beaty... #PurpleJayhawkIt...

17 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Or, worst of worse case scenarios, just back up the Brinks truck to hire the best defensive coach off the KSU staff to replace Beaty... #PurpleJayhawkIt...

You joke, but seriously lol. If your basketball program is going down in flames, might as well go for gold and start paying for those football players, too. Shit, hopefully it turns out better than aggy's sorry ass, pathetic run of pay for play. 

If there are 3 teams of the old Big8 & SWC that I have a soft spot for, it would be Rice/ Kansas & Iowa State, so not only would I be pleased if two of those three continue rivalries with both Texas & Oklahoma as conference mates... If KU gets a coach that knows football practice starts before the Midnight Madness hoops practice, that would be a step in the right direction... 

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

The problem here is that KSU fans and alumni all HATE KU with the burning fire of 1000 suns.  Much of the KSU staff is made up of former players.or have been at KSU for 15+ years.  KU's core problem is that our AD is a KSU alumni.  I don't know how much more obvious it could be that he was sent here to make us a national embarrassment in football so KSU can look like the state flagship in that sport.  If we bring in another KSU guy we would likely pay him $2mm a year and his explicit instructions from our mole AD would be to tank every game and deplete the roster.

I don't know any other school that would hire a grad from their "biggest" rival (current rival for KU but biggest rival from KSU's perspective) to oversee their athletic programs.  Especially when that rival has such an inferiority complex that the scenario of that hire actually being a mole is plausible.

We must fire the AD first and then anyone who is associated with KU or KSU from a donor to coaching to playing level must not be allowed to have anything to do with KU football.  We are fucking losers and we have always been fucking losers in football.  Allowing someone with KU in their pedigree to be hired, influence the hiring process, or influence the hire after it is made must not be allowed unless we want to continue to be losers.

At this point we need 2 things.  A drastic move at AD and to hire a professional coach.  One who hasn't gotten fired for being shitty, but one who has been fired because they haven't been good enough at a big name school and needs a second chance.

AD's - Jurich, Tressel, Jeremy Foley (if he doesn't want to stay retired), or an AD who has an amazing fundraising and marketing resume.  I would even take sweet lew perkins back and give him all of the treadmills he wants.

Coach - Pelini, Schiano, Levitt, Ken Nalkdsflkdf;ah, Troy Calhoun

Those are the options.  You pay the first 3 something like $3mm a year.  You pay the next 2 around $2.25-$2.5mm. I don't see what is so difficult about this.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jhawk whenever a K-State grad walks by:

conspiracy-gif-6.gif

I mean I guess you could say the guy is here to do his best but the truth is that every program he has touched at ku (he wasn't here for bill self's hiring) has turned to absolute shit.  Our women's bball team has the same winning percentage as football since our AD hired the coach.  Everything is dogshit if he touched it.  And here is the self-preservation kicker.  He knows he's tied to beaty so after the UT win he gave Beaty and extension and he convinced our outgoing chancellor to give him an extension.  Thus, if we were to fire both of them this year we would owe over $4mm to just those two.  That number doesn't go down for until 7/1/19.  Once we reach that point, we owe both the coach and AD the remaining value of their contracts over the course of a 6 month buyout period.

You can call me a conspiracy guy for that or you can see it for what it is.  Our AD made our donors pay out $6mm for Gill, $6mm for weis, and came back and said "you want to fire my 3rd coach??? Then you're going to fire us both so let's pie on another $4mm not including the assistants."  I can't think of a better way to kill a fledging football program than to hit the donors for over $15mm in 7 years and then tell the alumni that unless you personally donate $5k to the program on a yearly basis then your opinion doesn't matter and you don't deserve to have a winning program.  And yes.  That was actually said in February on a live interview.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, F250 said:

Y'all should hire Chris Klieman from NDSU. That guy knows how to win.

I didn't read past this post on page 1, but if I were calling the shots at a struggling FBS school, I'd hire a proven FCS winner over some FBS assistant.  He or she doesn't even have to be the hottest FCS coach, just a consistent top 5 to top 10 FBS coach.  By consistent, I don't mean a one-season wonder.  I might give the nod to one who is 50ish years old because by the time he turned things around, he might be just old enough to be less attractive to other FBS suitors.  Desperate times and all.

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I didn't read past this post on page 1, but if I were calling the shots at a struggling FBS school, I'd hire a proven FCS winner over some FBS assistant.  He or she doesn't even have to be the hottest FCS coach, just a consistent top 5 to top 10 FBS coach.  By consistent, I don't mean a one-season wonder.  I might give the nod to one who is 50ish years old because by the time he turned things around, he might be just old enough to be less attractive to other FBS suitors.  Desperate times and all.

This is why I like Schiano.  He is 51 years old.  Prime age.  It is going to take 4 years to make him look like he built something.  He would then be a less attractive 55.  Then he has his reputational baggage.  Put those things together and we might just have a solid coach for 10+ years unless he really performs a miracle and a big boy comes and steals him.  If that were to happen then that means he has taken us to bowl games and we are an attractive program and maybe even a feeder program for coaches to take the next step.  There is really almost no risk in hiring him or Pelini because we almost can't get any worse than we already are and if we do then we can't get any worse than 0 wins.  Pelini also fits this mold.

If he was our coach we could forfeit 8 games a year and still have more wins over a 3 year period.  Chew on that for a minute and tell me we should be picky about hiring a former 9 win a year coach. I’d take Switzer’s Soggy ass right now for $4mm a year if he would give us 100%. 

6 hours ago, Jhawk said:

This is why I like Schiano.  He is 51 years old.  Prime age.  It is going to take 4 years to make him look like he built something.  He would then be a less attractive 55.  Then he has his reputational baggage.  Put those things together and we might just have a solid coach for 10+ years unless he really performs a miracle and a big boy comes and steals him.  If that were to happen then that means he has taken us to bowl games and we are an attractive program and maybe even a feeder program for coaches to take the next step.  There is really almost no risk in hiring him or Pelini because we almost can't get any worse than we already are and if we do then we can't get any worse than 0 wins.  Pelini also fits this mold.

If Kansas football were to become as successful as their land grant little brothers, I assume they could afford to match most offers. I want to believe that Kansas is big enough of a school to fend off most poachers minus the Royal programs like USC, Alabama and aggy. 

Edited by F250
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

If Kansas football were to become as successful as their land grant little brothers, I assume they could afford to match most offers. I want to believe that Kansas is big enough of a school to fend off most poachers minus the Royal programs like USC, Alabama and aggy. 

That’s the thing. We have a 100mm athletic budget. We are a top program overall and if football would produce we would probably jump by 15-20%. What people are afraid of is that we would have to pay more for a football coach than for bill self. They don’t want bill at 4mm and a talented HC for football at 4mm too, especially if he is producing only 7 wins a year. No one bothers to think “let’s just pay bill more.”

53 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

This was found elsewhere whilst digging up some dirt, but thought it was relevant to this thread...

giphy.gif

Ha.... mr. baty and myself have been trying to schedule a sit down for about a week now. I have been one of the leaders behind the fire zenger movement and I run the ghostofmangino Twitter. 

• Like 1

So you may or may not know something about the sign outside Topeka?  You know another name you may consider would be Craig Bohl out of Wyoming.  At first glance you might think its not possible as he's getting things going in Wyo but the lure of the Big12 might be just enough to get him out of a conference that will never contend.  I'm telling you, there's players in Kansas.  No they're not the best and no they're not ready for prime time B12.  But you develop the relationships with the perennial state winning football teams (Carroll, Derby, Conway Springs, Heights, Northwest and all the KC KS & MO) and pull 2 to 3 of their best players out every year and you'll have the chance to build a foundation there.  You can't fire a coach after 2 years wtf was that shit.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

That’s the thing. We have a 100mm athletic budget. We are a top program overall and if football would produce we would probably jump by 15-20%. What people are afraid of is that we would have to pay more for a football coach than for bill self. They don’t want bill at 4mm and a talented HC for football at 4mm too, especially if he is producing only 7 wins a year. No one bothers to think “let’s just pay bill more.”

I just did a random walk through the wiki listing the largest companies in KC.  Given the academics at KU, you have very little representation a the C-level in the billion-dollar corps in KC metro.

HOWEVER, Donald J. Hall Jr., the head (and majority owner) of Hallmark & Crayola got his MBA at KU.  He's the 3rd Hall to run Hallmark.  On the Nelson-Atkins board.  Obviously a prime mover in KC high society.  Without a lightning rod to stir the shit storm in the KC media, nothing is going to change.   That'll be $9.95.

But wait there's moar!

After Hall writes a check from pocket change and flushes the garbage, he buys a bad-ass civil-war sword and gets on his private jet and flies to.....

.... wait for it ....

.... wait for it ....

Pullman, Washington.

That will also be $9.95.  You're welcome.

The Baty stuff actually came out in the fall. So ridiculous.

“Average tenure was four years. Four years!” Baty said. “At what point do we put our stake in the ground as a fan base, as a donor base, as an administration, as campus administrators, do we put our foot in the ground and say no more?”

Maybe when we have a coach capable of having a winning season from time to time and can at least flirt with a .500 winning percentage each season. Beaty and his sub .100 winning percentage is not the time to cry for stability. Last season should have seen progress,  but instead we regressed.  It is also hilarious they bring up letting coaches go so fast when Zenger is the one who fired the last 2 coaches after 2 and 2.5 seasons. Sadly, both were better coaches than Beaty. Zenger needs to be gone, not because he is a KSU grad (nobody is tanking their career for school pride), but because he is immensely incompetent and can't be allowed a third FB coach hire.

I am pretty sure we go defeated this year for the 2nd time in four years.

6 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

The Baty stuff actually came out in the fall. So ridiculous.

Maybe when we have a coach capable of having a winning season from time to time and can at least flirt with a .500 winning percentage each season. Beaty and his sub .100 winning percentage is not the time to cry for stability. Last season should have seen progress,  but instead we regressed.  It is also hilarious they bring up letting coaches go so fast when Zenger is the one who fired the last 2 coaches after 2 and 2.5 seasons. Sadly, both were better coaches than Beaty. Zenger needs to be gone, not because he is a KSU grad (nobody is tanking their career for school pride), but because he is immensely incompetent and can't be allowed a third FB coach hire.

I am pretty sure we go defeated this year for the 2nd time in four years.

Edited by Bevo14

9 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

So you may or may not know something about the sign outside Topeka?  You know another name you may consider would be Craig Bohl out of Wyoming.  At first glance you might think its not possible as he's getting things going in Wyo but the lure of the Big12 might be just enough to get him out of a conference that will never contend.  I'm telling you, there's players in Kansas.  No they're not the best and no they're not ready for prime time B12.  But you develop the relationships with the perennial state winning football teams (Carroll, Derby, Conway Springs, Heights, Northwest and all the KC KS & MO) and pull 2 to 3 of their best players out every year and you'll have the chance to build a foundation there.  You can't fire a coach after 2 years wtf was that shit.

Haha the sign was actually at the McDonald’s rest stop westbound between KC and Lawrence. 3 signs after a series of KU football signs. Taken down in 24 hours and a full refund when I threatened a lawsuit. I also walked into the university paper offices and plopped $1100 down for a full page spread of a paper that was handed out to take to the KU v. ASU game at Allen Fieldhouse. The fire zenger banner of the KU v. KSU game (where we formally celebrated the start of the stadium renovation campaign) was also me and one other guy early on in the campaign. Our pilot was met on the tarmac by zenger’s wife and the university called the FAA and had the plane audited. Later an anonymous letter was sent to my banner company. It’s all on the website a 3rd guy in the group made. www.saveksfb.com. 

The university now knows who I am (Baty and I are members at the same country club) so I agreed to meet with him so he can give me the pitch. He unfortunate thing is that my business partners and I (2 Ku alum and one OU) were goo to make heavy donations this year to both schools (20-30k each) to get great tickets for investor relations. Then last year happened and I decided I could do more for my university with that money than KU could. I hand it to them and they pay zenger with it. I market the fuck out of his record as an AD and keep the pressure on (he famously hides behind basketball not even attending most football games but always front row for basketball) and he gets fired because the pressure is too great and Out movement have done worlds for the school’s future. 

I’m anxious to hear what Baty has to say. I even told him in a note to him that I don’t understand what can come of the meeting but I’ll give him the courtesy.  Here is a note I sent him...

Matt,
While I’d love the opportunity to sit down and talk I think a something needs to be clarified.  This is not about me and this account and movement aren’t one person.  It is multiple people (50+ at this point) who have submitted ideas, money, and human capital to the goal of bringing competence to the AD.  We are a collection of alumni that are committed to the total success of the athletic department and university.  Some of these people are very connected to the university and AD, most of these people are current or former donors to the university.  We represent KU fans throughout the US and I have personally talked to fans from many states about our actions and plans.  
I showed your message to various members of the group and we talked about meeting with people from the AD, as it has been offered to more than one of us at various events (most notably the regional up in Omaha).  Consistently, all people with input asked, “What is there to gain from a meeting?”  I can’t say I blame the group for this thought.  So, I’ll put it to you, what is there to gain?  We are opposed to the way the AD is being run and see the need for drastic change within the AD before deeper rooted management issues start to take hold and there is a bigger hole to dig out of.  You are married to an AD that refuses to be transparent and held accountable.  We could give you a perfect presentation on the problems (they aren’t just on the football field) and how KU’s AD stacks up relative to our peers and suggest positive steps toward righting the ship.  We have that.  I doubt if I were to give that pitch to you that you would champion the cause with Dr. Girod.  Would you?  From the other side, you could tell me the complete plan on how the current admin is going to fix the situation within our AD and you would be met with cynicism.  The current admin has had 7 years and is just now coming up with a plan that is going to save the program??  Why wasn’t the plan implemented day 1?  2 plans have already failed, why would a 3rd work?
I’ll ask again, what is there to gain from meeting?
-Dave”

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I just did a random walk through the wiki listing the largest companies in KC.  Given the academics at KU, you have very little representation a the C-level in the billion-dollar corps in KC metro.

HOWEVER, Donald J. Hall Jr., the head (and majority owner) of Hallmark & Crayola got his MBA at KU.  He's the 3rd Hall to run Hallmark.  On the Nelson-Atkins board.  Obviously a prime mover in KC high society.  Without a lightning rod to stir the shit storm in the KC media, nothing is going to change.   That'll be $9.95.

But wait there's moar!

After Hall writes a check from pocket change and flushes the garbage, he buys a bad-ass civil-war sword and gets on his private jet and flies to.....

.... wait for it ....

.... wait for it ....

Pullman, Washington.

That will also be $9.95.  You're welcome.

We have one very rich man in Kansas City (cliff illig) who founded Cerner (healthcare IT). In the first meeting zenger had with him the bridge was burnt and cliff has not donated a dime to ku in 7 years. I believe cliff is worth about 2 billion. He is definitely a KU alum and I believe he sent all of his kids to KU as well. 

Edited by Jhawk

somewhat related, this is what I was talking about earlier with the talent that is in Wichita.  Not a ton, but enough that you could pull half a recruiting class out of every year and have some decent kids.  Obviously, this kid was overlooked by everyone, and also from one of the worst high school football teams in Wichita.  They're the team you schedule homecoming for.  Played local, stayed local, still not recruited local, went next door, now has a shot in the NFL.

Kyle Wilson - Arkansas State

http://www.kansas.com/sports/nfl/article210315834.html

This is what happens when you hire a recruiting coordinator to be HC at a major program. They would've been so much better off just sticking it out with Charlie Weis. Weis was bad, but Beaty is a pioneer in coaching incompetence. I dont think anyone has ever sink=holed a program worse than Beaty has. This is SMU death penalty levels of dumpster fire, he's probably set the program back 20 years. Their football revenue is down 6.5 million from 2009, that is insane. It feels like they are less than a decade away from shutting down the football program all together.

7 hours ago, Gigglebush said:

This is what happens when you hire a recruiting coordinator to be HC at a major program. They would've been so much better off just sticking it out with Charlie Weis. Weis was bad, but Beaty is a pioneer in coaching incompetence. I dont think anyone has ever sink=holed a program worse than Beaty has. This is SMU death penalty levels of dumpster fire, he's probably set the program back 20 years. Their football revenue is down 6.5 million from 2009, that is insane. It feels like they are less than a decade away from shutting down the football program all together.

When you offer to pay a coach 700k a year you have officially given up. The sad thing is this was an actual thought out plan by the AD to rebuild the roster. He actually thought one of two things. 1. You can just show up and get wins over teams. No need for actual coaching and preparation. Or 2. You don’t need to win any games to rebuild a roster. The AD’s plan was to give Beaty 5 years of just recruiting and if he won then that was just a bonus. He never had the foresight to realize that winning 0 or 1 game a year for multiple years was going to create restlessness with the fan base. Now, he can’t cut his plan short because he might get fired. So he gives raises and extensions so that if we fire people before 7/1/2019 we have to pay a minimum of $4mm to have regime change.