Kansas is Hopeless...

Jhawk

On 5/3/2018 at 11:31 AM, Jhawk said:

The problem here is that KSU fans and alumni all HATE KU with the burning fire of 1000 suns.  Much of the KSU staff is made up of former players.or have been at KSU for 15+ years.  KU's core problem is that our AD is a KSU alumni.  I don't know how much more obvious it could be that he was sent here to make us a national embarrassment in football so KSU can look like the state flagship in that sport.  If we bring in another KSU guy we would likely pay him $2mm a year and his explicit instructions from our mole AD would be to tank every game and deplete the roster.

I don't know any other school that would hire a grad from their "biggest" rival (current rival for KU but biggest rival from KSU's perspective) to oversee their athletic programs.  Especially when that rival has such an inferiority complex that the scenario of that hire actually being a mole is plausible.

We must fire the AD first and then anyone who is associated with KU or KSU from a donor to coaching to playing level must not be allowed to have anything to do with KU football.  We are fucking losers and we have always been fucking losers in football.  Allowing someone with KU in their pedigree to be hired, influence the hiring process, or influence the hire after it is made must not be allowed unless we want to continue to be losers.

At this point we need 2 things.  A drastic move at AD and to hire a professional coach.  One who hasn't gotten fired for being shitty, but one who has been fired because they haven't been good enough at a big name school and needs a second chance.

AD's - Jurich, Tressel, Jeremy Foley (if he doesn't want to stay retired), or an AD who has an amazing fundraising and marketing resume.  I would even take sweet lew perkins back and give him all of the treadmills he wants.

Coach - Pelini, Schiano, Levitt, Ken Nalkdsflkdf;ah, Troy Calhoun

Those are the options.  You pay the first 3 something like $3mm a year.  You pay the next 2 around $2.25-$2.5mm. I don't see what is so difficult about this.

The other problem is that K-State really hasn't many good defensive coordinators since Snyder 1.0.  The reason Snyder runs a ground and pound offense now is because no one he has hired in the last decade can figure out how to defense spread offenses.  

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

The other problem is that K-State really hasn't many good defensive coordinators since Snyder 1.0.  The reason Snyder runs a ground and pound offense now is because no one he has hired in the last decade can figure out how to defense spread offenses.  

You rang?

gyi0061495775.0.jpg

NZ Herald: Kansas cheerleaders say they were blindfolded, stripped naked and told they were ugly in hazing ritual

Kansas University cheerleaders say they were blindfolded, stripped naked and berated in a hazing ritual last year. Multiple sources told The Collegiate six first-year members of the squad were asked to meet near the University's stadium, where they were forced to run up and down a hill twice before being blindfolded, separated and taken to a vacant house. The hazing event, which was allegedly run by senior members of the team and three alumni, then saw the women put into boxes - and one put in a washing machine.

They were bumped around before being taken into a room for 'questioning', where if the women got a question wrong, they would be forced to remove an item of clothing, it is claimed. When they were naked, their blindfolds were put back on and they were moved to another room in the house. At this point, one of the sources said she realized more people were inside the residence. 'I had taken my blindfold off along with another girl sitting next to me, and two alumni guys walked in and saw us naked,' she said. Afterwards, the girls were separated into groups again. Some were taken downstairs while others faced a verbal beating. 'They took me and two other girls, put us in a room together and told us we are ugly, we don't deserve to be on the team and our skills weren't good enough,' a source said.

The group of disgruntled first years say they had meetings with their coach, who dismissed their claims and told them: 'the older girls were not getting punished for it so we just needed to move on'. An organisational conduct report from KU shows the cheer team were put on probation for a year in September 2017. The hazing events have led one woman to drop out of the university completely. 'The reason I'm leaving KU is solely because the university and the athletic department decided to treat me and my other teammates like we didn't matter and were instead just pretty faces for the media,' she said.

Man, I still can’t believe we lost to you guys and that coach.  And that people actually wanted to keep Charlie afterwards.  

Did Kansas fans think the program had turned a corner at that point or what?  I’ve tried hard to block the memories from that time. 

6 hours ago, Jebus said:

Man, I still can’t believe we lost to you guys and that coach.  And that people actually wanted to keep Charlie afterwards.  

Did Kansas fans think the program had turned a corner at that point or what?  I’ve tried hard to block the memories from that time. 

Kansas fans realized that UT players had given up on HCCS.  Winning a game where the opposing team has 6 turnovers does not count as a program defining win.... Unless you are Shaehon Zenger, the AD at KU.  He doubled the salary of his coaches and felt no guilt about signing an extension that doubled his salary and contract length as well.  That contract was given to him after his boss announced her retirement.  I know you guys like to think that Dodds and his buddies in the AD were corrupt but we are on a different level at this point.

Our Ad was on the radio again last week talking about how much our coach loves the program and that is why he is employed.  Not to win.  Just to love the university.

An article says that there is a good chance to find untapped talent in the areas north of the Mason-Dixon line, where rating athletes seems to be an undervalued trait...

NFL_Players_vs._Blue_Chips_Map.0.jpg

Why are there disparities in recruiting regions?

Trying to understand what’s going on in the disparate recruiting rankings and outcomes across the fruited plains.

By Ian Boyd@Ian_A_Boyd  May 4, 2018, 9:00am EDT

The other day our own RedmondLonghorn posted one of the most fascinating pieces of 2018, examining “where blue-chippers come from” and contrasting that to “where NFL players come from.

The major and somewhat shocking revelation was how overrated everyone’s favorite recruiting regions (Texas, Florida, and the South) are and how underrated the traditional recruiting turf of Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania has become. There’s a lot going on in all of that data and a dozen variables of causation to sift through in determining how to interpret everything.

Here’s a few stabs at explaining what we see in these numbers:

The recruiting services are incentivized to invest more time and scouting into the south

There are a solid number of reasons why this would be the case. The first is that the south, Texas, and Florida legitimately produce a higher number of players per capita than do the Midwestern states so it makes sense to allocate most of your focus on those regions.

Another is that interest is higher there and it’s easier to sell #content on the top players to SEC fans then to try and figure out which Pennsylvania kids might be better than anyone currently guesses.

But even beyond that, if you’re spending most of your time scouting the well known blue-chippers in Georgia then you’re going to be more aware of different gems that show up and explode onto the scene from other parts of Georgia than you’ll be of players from less heavily scouted areas.

There are more opportunities to scout and evaluate kids in the South

Nike currently has eight SPARQ events scheduled for 2018. They’ll be taking place in:

-Miami, FL

-Dallas, TX

-Houston, TX

-San Francisco, CA

-Los Angeles, CA

-Atlanta, GA

-New York/New Jersey (the Jets facility)

-Canton, OH

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/5/4/17314902/disparities-in-recruiting-rankings-midwest-texas-south-florida-boise-state

Talent isn't the problem at KU and it definitely isn't the problem at many schools.  The problem is the S&T program, the coaching, the discipline, and the effort.  I always get a kick out of states like KS not having talent.  We are a smaller state than texas so we will have less players.  But we still have 300 pound linemen.  They just go up against lesser overall competition in HS so they don't get the play like linemen from wisconsin or bama.  We have them.  Schools like Kansas refuse to recruit them (because we falsely believe they aren't talented), we refuse to condition them to be D1 players, we refuse to coach them up, we refuse to have accountability in our program, and when the players realize there is no route to the NFL and there are very few wins on the schedule for the next 7 years they stop being disciplined and just want to enjoy the fun parts of college.  Everything that is wrong with KU can be traced back to KU.  Not our region, not our opponents, not our previous coaches, not what happened in 2009, 2001, 2051, or 1991.  The past does not change what is happening now.

We are sorry sons of bitches.  I would probably be for taking an entire recruiting class just from the Kansas/Missouri area.  I'd offer a whole offensive line from 1 HS if they had the size.  The problem is our coaching staff can't make them good.  Our coaching staff took a 1st round pick and turned him into a 3rd rounder in 1 summer (Dorrance Armstrong).  We suck.

1 hour ago, Leanderman said:

Fall guy for the basketball scandal?

What basketball scandal?

If you analyze everything that has happened at KU in athletics over the last 7 years this is your fall guy.  Worst FB ever, worst wbb ever, worst baseball ever.  Season ticket FB sales below 5k.  Donations for the new stadium all have been pledged but with the caveat that zenger is gone.  Then two weeks ago we found out that the cheerleading team has hazing and when taken to the admin and coaches they ignored the fact that freshmen were forced to stand naked in front of a bunch of yell leader alum.  Zenger is the problem.  We just cut out the cancer, now it is time for treatment.

That is a shit list. When we hired Lew Perkins he was one of the most notable sports executives at the time. We made him one of the highest paid at $2mm a year as well. Point being, KU is actually an attractive job for an AD. You have a powerhouse basketball program on autopilot and you have a football program with little expectation and an opportunity to put a major stamp on the program with all of the investment that everyone recognizes is needed. I think we swing for the fences and I think we land someone bigger than expected. Here’s who I’d call:

1. Jeremy Foley (retired from Florida) - he might want back in the game. You never know. He would be a grand slam. 

2. Tim Jurich - recently his firing was settled and he was exonerated from guilt at UL. His hiring record is impeccable and he built the Yum center and renovated their football stadium. Also brought the heavy hitter alum back into the program. 

3. Jim tressell - his record at Youngstown is actually very impressive. I’d hire him if he brought bo Pelini with him. 

4. Dan Radakovich - Clemson AD. He built one football program, maybe he wants to do it again. 

5. Jim Phillips - northwestern AD. Has done  well with a non-sports school. Good hires and fundraising at NW can’t be easy. He’s done a good job and give us a big 10 connection.  

2 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

KU should take dead aim at Jurich.  And I agree KU should be able to lure a proven AD.  I don't think KU needs or wants Pelini regardless of whether they could get The Vest (doubt it).

I don't necessarily disagree about pelini but he would instantly get us to 5 wins with discipline alone.  If the AD and coach are going to be tied together then there isn't really much better that KU could do than Vest/Pelini combo.

Jurich is hands down the best option and obviously he is free.  The problem we will have is the perception of the FBI scandal and KU's roll in it.  We have a very liberal campus so faculty could be an issue with Jurich.  I doubt they would want him and the reason would be that he is only going to further the perception that KU is guilty and not the victim in the FBI stuff.  If KU was never named in that indictment then I think he would be the guy.  But since we were just merely named I can't see the chance of hiring him above 50%.

On 4/17/2018 at 1:53 PM, Neonmoon said:

You hired a coach from A&M. Did you expect this to turn out differenct then every other coach who has ever coached at A&M?

Maybe they were hoping for the Bear Bryant and Gene Stallings variety of ex-aggy coach.

I bought my first HD TV in November 2007. Watched a top five matchup between Kansas and Missouri that very night. Seeing Mark Mangino in HD for the first time was.......something. Almost took the television back.

Edited by skittlebrau
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

He's actually too generous. Common sense would tell you that there should have been improvement in year 3. Instead there was regression. I fully expect a 1-3 or 0-4 start. The nadir will probably be Baylor pounding KU in Waco in game 4. I expect a metaphorical mercy firing after that game. He was given a chance.  He shouldn't get on the plane or bus after that game. Then hope springs eternal.

On 5/22/2018 at 5:35 PM, Jhawk said:

That is a shit list. When we hired Lew Perkins he was one of the most notable sports executives at the time. We made him one of the highest paid at $2mm a year as well. Point being, KU is actually an attractive job for an AD. You have a powerhouse basketball program on autopilot and you have a football program with little expectation and an opportunity to put a major stamp on the program with all of the investment that everyone recognizes is needed. I think we swing for the fences and I think we land someone bigger than expected. Here’s who I’d call:

1. Jeremy Foley (retired from Florida) - he might want back in the game. You never know. He would be a grand slam. 

2. Tim Jurich - recently his firing was settled and he was exonerated from guilt at UL. His hiring record is impeccable and he built the Yum center and renovated their football stadium. Also brought the heavy hitter alum back into the program. 

3. Jim tressell - his record at Youngstown is actually very impressive. I’d hire him if he brought bo Pelini with him. 

4. Dan Radakovich - Clemson AD. He built one football program, maybe he wants to do it again. 

5. Jim Phillips - northwestern AD. Has done  well with a non-sports school. Good hires and fundraising at NW can’t be easy. He’s done a good job and give us a big 10 connection.  

So you're going full "Cheat like Mofos" mode across the board to match your basketball program's modus operandi?

Innerestin'

It's a sad state of affairs.  I sat down with the 2nd in command of the AD a few weeks ago and we talked about the struggles.  It is painfully obvious how much football is hurting KU.  He told me some figures about how KU only has 3,000 donors to the AD/Williams Education Fund (the fund that handles the AD donations) at a level of $5k a year or more.  Unsurprisingly, this is about the same number of season ticket holders we have for KU basketball.  We rank 2nd to last in the big12 on number of donors and 3rd on the amount recevied by donation.  Further, we are probably going to have an announced average attendance around 18k-20k people at our football games this year.  The next lowest average in the big12 is baylor at like 43k per game.  We are the 3rd strongest AD in the conference and we are leaving about $20-25mm on the table by being bad at football.  That includes tickets, merchandise, food and beverage, and foregone donations.  I'm hopeful a competent AD looks at our job opening and realizes that we are probably a top 10 job if you get football to a bowl game even just 50-60% of the time.  Literally just get to .500, fifty percent of the time and you'll grow the KUAD by 20%.  Hopefully we hire a badass who isn't afraid to make his mark on the university.

Edited by Jhawk