Kansas is Hopeless...

Jhawk

16 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

its looking more and more likely that Khalil Herbert suddenly and without telling anyone quit the team today  less than an hour before kickoff and its trying to enter the transfer portal to get a redshirt this year.  

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2019/sep/28/notebook-after-missing-tcu-game-khalil-herberts-st/

wow. 

Based on the KU boards the same thing might have happened with Prox (their leading tackler). 

Crazy, their leading rusher and top tackler might have quit before the TCU game. Kansas really is a dumpster fire. It might just be an injury for Prox though. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Wife and I got free tix to see Dorothy & Toto play the Froggies so we went.  Had a ptsd flashback to 2015 where Texas trailed 30-0 after 1 quarter.  KU had 49 yards at halftime, 0-10 on 3rd down, and TCU looked like Alabama leading 38-0 at the half.  We left with 7:15 left in the 2nd qtr and proceeded to Los Vaqueros to lunch and air conditioned game watching. Hopeless is being kind to the Jayhawks-turrrible is more like it.

Don’t know if I blame the kid if he thinks he’s a pro, but this is one of those moves that either works great or ends his career because he doesn’t catch on at the next spot. I personally don’t think he has the speed to be a pro but maybe something is there for him. 

I doubt this has anything to do with the coaching staff. But with a competent QB at his next stop he will look like a great back. 

13 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Don’t know if I blame the kid if he thinks he’s a pro, but this is one of those moves that either works great or ends his career because he doesn’t catch on at the next spot. I personally don’t think he has the speed to be a pro but maybe something is there for him. 

I doubt this has anything to do with the coaching staff. But with a competent QB at his next stop he will look like a great back. 

It's rare for a program to not have increased attrition with a new staff. Impacted the most are the more senior players because the new staff is usually starting from scratch with everyone wrt playing time, evaluations and building rapport. Not to mention new staff wants to build a team by favoring "their" guys. As a player you have to either go along to get along or just move along.

• Like 1

Thx @TexasMan for this.... HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa 😊😊😊

Kansas announces that offensive coordinator Les Koenning has been relieved of his duties. Brent Dearmon has been promoted to OC.
4:48 PM · Oct 6, 2019·

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/23/2019 at 12:07 PM, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, the new KU OC Analyst Brent Dearmon may be  "KU's OC In Waiting".  Some believe that the hiring of Les Koenning was just a stopgap decision for Les Miles due to the loss of Chip Lindsey to Troy.  Get someone ( Koenning) that runs similar style to Chip Lindsey.... and hope that Dearmon pans out and later takes over OC for KU.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/22/les-miles-hires-naia-head-coach-to-support-staff/

^^^^^This aged well^^^^

Kansas announces that offensive coordinator Les Koenning has been relieved of his duties. Brent Dearmon has been promoted to OC.

Kansas fires OC Les Koenning, promotes analyst Brent Dearmon

Adam Rittenberg  ESPN Senior Writer

Three weeks after Kansas scored 48 points in a historic road win against Boston College, offensive coordinator Les Koenning has been fired.  First-year coach Les Miles on Sunday announced Koenning's dismissal, a day after the Jayhawks' 45-20 home loss to Oklahoma. Brent Dearmon, who had served as a senior offensive analyst for KU, has been promoted to offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Kansas averaged only 17.8 points in its five games other than Boston College. The Jayhawks rank 101st nationally in scoring, 102nd in yards, 104th in passing and 116th in first downs per game.  "This was a difficult decision, but it is in the best interest of our football program both now and in the future," Miles said in a prepared statement. "There is still a lot of football left to play this season and I want to put our players in the best position to be successful, which is why I am making the change now.".  He added of Dearmon: "Brent is one of the brightest individuals I have encountered in all of my years coaching. His experience as a record-setting coach and quarterback at the collegiate level will benefit our offense immediately. I believe our players will be naturally drawn to Brent's leadership and coaching ability."

Dearmon spent the 2018 season as head coach at Bethel University, an NAIA program. Bethel averaged 55 points and 540.3 yards per game. Dearmon also has been offensive coordinator at Division II Arkansas Tech, and spent two seasons as an analyst for Gus Malzahn at Auburn.

Koenning, who coached running backs at Southern Miss in 2018, has held coordinator posts at seven schools, including Alabama and Texas A&M, before joining the Kansas staff.  Kansas owes Koenning a total of $1 million for the remainder of this season and next season.

Kansas is off this week before visiting Texas on Oct. 19.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

We need to pay Dearmon some venebles money. If he is the OC in August and we have any sort of special teams play at all we are 6-2 right now and ties for second in the conference. Kansas is coming for your jiblets. 

You seriously think you'd be 6-2 just because of your OC? Wow!

Problem is, he is doing well because Les is his coach.  He goes somewhere else with a dickhead coach that hinders his creativity.  Les probably (I'm assuming because he's old and tired) allows him to call the fucking game without meddling in his shit.  Les shows up, lets the coaches coach and he rah rahs the team.  Perfect hire for KU actually.  I thought much like Herm at ASU, this would be a joke.  Apparently though, you bring in the old man who's seen it all and combine forces with young new ideas....just manage the process and waalah, you've got more wins than last year.

• Like 2

I think we would only have picked up the Coastal Carolina game as a win with Dearmon calling plays.  Maybe WVU, but we kind of lucked into the win vs. Tech with the bonehead play at the end. I'll keep that WVU game as an L due to that. So 4-4 with a good shot at a bowl game.   Dearmon has made a hell of a difference in our offense. I just hope it continues and he can adapt once other teams get a good amount of film on his schemes.  KU has an outside shot at a bowl game this year, which I would never have expected at the start of this season. I thought 3 wins was our ceiling, and probably was if Koenning was still OC. We have some good WRs and some strong RBs. Stanley should have been starting the last couple years, but that dumb ass Beaty could never see it. I think every season by the end, Stanley was starting; but, only after whatever QB Beaty had brought in that year to be the starter, shit the bed. The OL is still not very good, but Stanley has mobility and with our RBs playing well, other teams have to respect the run.

The defense is doing better than I expected, considering how depleted we are there. Until we get some depth and some DL talent it will constantly struggle.

Special teams are terrible again. Our FG/PAT team is the worst I have ever seen. How many blocked kicks and missed FG/PATs do we have this season? Probably due again to our lack of talent on the OL. The kicker is probably crap as well, but hard to judge when the OL is being pushed back into him. Special teams will continue to suck until we get some talented depth or play more starters on them.

To take a big step forward we have to get some talent and depth on the defensive and offensive lines.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 8:46 PM, Jhawkmvp said:

I think we would only have picked up the Coastal Carolina game as a win with Dearmon calling plays.  Maybe WVU, but we kind of lucked into the win vs. Tech with the bonehead play at the end. I'll keep that WVU game as an L due to that. So 4-4 with a good shot at a bowl game.   Dearmon has made a hell of a difference in our offense. I just hope it continues and he can adapt once other teams get a good amount of film on his schemes.  KU has an outside shot at a bowl game this year, which I would never have expected at the start of this season. I thought 3 wins was our ceiling, and probably was if Koenning was still OC. We have some good WRs and some strong RBs. Stanley should have been starting the last couple years, but that dumb ass Beaty could never see it. I think every season by the end, Stanley was starting; but, only after whatever QB Beaty had brought in that year to be the starter, shit the bed. The OL is still not very good, but Stanley has mobility and with our RBs playing well, other teams have to respect the run.

The defense is doing better than I expected, considering how depleted we are there. Until we get some depth and some DL talent it will constantly struggle.

Special teams are terrible again. Our FG/PAT team is the worst I have ever seen. How many blocked kicks and missed FG/PATs do we have this season? Probably due again to our lack of talent on the OL. The kicker is probably crap as well, but hard to judge when the OL is being pushed back into him. Special teams will continue to suck until we get some talented depth or play more starters on them.

To take a big step forward we have to get some talent and depth on the defensive and offensive lines.

I mean, we fell down 17-0 against Tech but outplayed them the rest of the game. Fluke play or not, it would have went to OT and we had all the momentum.

Coastal would have been a victory for sure, and probably WVU. Texas he was OC and we still lost so we dont pick that game up. I guarantee we play TCU and OU closer than we did though.

We are currently 3-5, could have probably been 5-3 though which is remarkable all things considered. One of the two missed FGs vs Texas and Dearmon as OC and 6-2 might have been a reality.

But it's not. The reality is 3-5. If we can get to 5 wins this year I would be so absolutely thrilled with this season.

6 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

I mean, we fell down 17-0 against Tech but outplayed them the rest of the game. Fluke play or not, it would have went to OT and we had all the momentum.

Coastal would have been a victory for sure, and probably WVU. Texas he was OC and we still lost so we dont pick that game up. I guarantee we play TCU and OU closer than we did though.

We are currently 3-5, could have probably been 5-3 though which is remarkable all things considered. One of the two missed FGs vs Texas and Dearmon as OC and 6-2 might have been a reality.

But it's not. The reality is 3-5. If we can get to 5 wins this year I would be so absolutely thrilled with this season.

Congrats to KU for improving enough to make their K-State game today worth watching... 😀

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://footballscoop.com/news/source-kansas-hiring-one-of-the-top-small-college-coaches-in-college-football/

Source: Kansas hiring one of the top small college coaches in college football

By Doug Samuels.     February 14, 2020

When Les Miles got the job at Kansas, he was able to hire Bethel (NAIA – TN) head coach Brent Dearmon as a senior offensive consultant. Dearmon, regarded as one of the best offensive minds in small college football, was coming off his first season as the head coach at his alma mater, where he led the program to the best finish in school history, a #3 national ranking and led the country with 55 points per game.  On October 6th, following Miles’ decision to fire Les Koenning after a slow start to the season, Dearmon was promoted to offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Now, source tells FootballScoop that Miles again plans to bring one of the best small college coaches to Lawrence, this time on the defensive side of the ball in Marian’s (NAIA – IN) Brock Caraboa.    Caraboa spent the past four seasons as the team’s defensive coordinator, and is a former player and graduate assistant with the program that quickly climbed the ranks. He’s led a number of top NAIA defenses and has been a finalist for the FootballScoop NAIA Coordinator of the Year award a number of times now. Caraboa has been at Marian since they started the program as a player (2007) and has spent the past ten years on the staff in some capacity. The program has won two national titles since 2012 and is perennially one of the top programs in NAIA.

We understand Caraboa will serve as a senior analyst on the Jayhawks staff.

Kansas: Source tells FootballScoop that Air Force tight ends coach Jonathan Wallace is joining the staff as running backs coach. Wallace previously served as the wide receivers coach at Bethel (NAIA – TN) when current Jayhawks offensive coordinator Brent Dearmon was the head coach there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bill Self, Les Miles and Kansas AD Jeff Long Take Salary Cuts

https://www.si.com/college/2020/04/27/kansas-bill-self-les-miles-salary-pay-cuts

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) — Kansas athletic director Jeff Long, football coach Les Miles and basketball coach Bill Self announced Monday they had taken a 10% salary reduction for the next six months in an effort to save the athletic department nearly $500,000.

The move comes as the COVID-19 pandemic is putting pressure on collegiate athletic departments nationwide to cut costs to keep afloat. Many schools have asked their highest-paid employees to take salary cuts during the pandemic, and some have taken the more aggressive step of eliminating some sports entirely.

Long’s contract includes $1.5 million in annual base salary with $200,000 covered by the university. Miles is heading into the second year of a five-year contract that pays him $2.775 million a year. Self is in the midst of a contract extension that he signed in 2012 that goes through the 2021-22 season and pays him about $4 million annually.

Long said the school will “continue to evaluate what our future needs are to determine whether there will be additional salary cuts among Kansas Athletics staff for fiscal year 2021.”

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...

NCAA enforcement office calls Kansas' violations 'egregious, severe'

Mark Schlabach  ESPN Senior Writer.  4:38 PM CT

The NCAA enforcement staff said Kansas' basketball program committed "egregious" and "severe" rules violations that "significantly undermine and threaten the NCAA Collegiate Model," and alleged that Jayhawks coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend "embraced, welcomed and encouraged" Adidas employees and consultants to influence high-profile recruits to sign with Kansas.

That was the NCAA enforcement staff's position in its 92-page reply to Kansas, which the university released on Thursday. The Jayhawks are charged with five Level I rules violations, the most serious, including lack of institutional control. Self is charged with head-coach responsibility violations.

Under NCAA rules, a head coach could be hit with a show-cause order and be suspended up to an entire season for Level I violations.

Kansas is also charged with two Level II violations and one Level III violation related to the football program under coach David Beaty.

Because of the complexity and severity of the allegations, and Kansas' position regarding Adidas' role, the case might be processed through the independent accountability resolutions process (IARP). An independent resolution panel (IRP), consisting of five independent members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds, would hear the case and decide what penalties the Jayhawks would face. The IRP's decision is final and there are no appeals.

"While the football allegations involve alleged Level II and III violations, which are serious alleged violations, there can be no doubt the men's basketball allegations are egregious, severe and are the kind that significantly undermine and threaten the NCAA Collegiate Model," the NCAA enforcement staff wrote in its reply. "The institution secured significant recruiting and competitive advantages by committing alleged Level I men's basketball violations. The institution, in taking its defiant posture in the case, is indifferent to how its alleged violations may have adversely impacted other NCAA institutions who acted in compliance with NCAA legislation."

Kansas officials, along with Self and Townsend, are disputing each of the five Level I violations regarding the men's basketball program, as well as each of the nine aggravating factors cited by the NCAA.

"The NCAA enforcement staff's reply does not in any way change the University of Kansas' position that the allegations brought against our men's basketball program are simply baseless and littered with false representations," Kansas officials wrote in a statement on Thursday. "As the federal trial proved, Adidas employees intentionally concealed impermissible payments from the University and its coaching staff. The University has never denied these impermissible payments were made. For the NCAA enforcement staff to allege that the University should be held responsible for these payments is a distortion of the facts and a gross misapplication of NCAA Bylaws and case precedent.

"In addition, the enforcement staff's assertion that KU refuses to accept responsibility is wrong. The University absolutely would accept responsibility if it believed that violations had occurred, as we have demonstrated with other self-reported infractions. Chancellor [Doug] Girod, [athletic director] Jeff Long and KU stand firmly behind Coach Self, his staff and our men's basketball program, as well as our robust compliance program."

Adidas and its employees and consultants were at the center of a federal investigation into bribes and other corruption in college basketball. The Jayhawks are the company's flagship program and signed a 14-year, $196 million apparel and sponsorship extension in April 2019.

During a federal trial in October 2018, Adidas executive James Gatto, former Adidas consultant Merl Code and aspiring business manager Christian Dawkins were found guilty on felony charges of wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud. They are appealing their convictions.

In September 2019, former Adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola was sentenced to probation and fined for his role in pay-for-play schemes to steer recruits to Kansas and other Adidas-sponsored programs.

Gatto was accused of working with Gassnola to facilitate $90,000 from Adidas to former Jayhawks recruit Billy Preston's mother and agreeing to pay $20,000 to Fenny Falmagne, current Kansas player Silvio De Sousa's guardian, to help him "get out from under" a pay-for-play scheme to attend Maryland, which is sponsored by Under Armour.

The NCAA also included allegations that Gassnola provided $15,000 to an unidentified individual to give to the mother of recruit Deandre Ayton, who signed with Arizona, and that Gassnola "communicated in a text message to Self that he had let Self down" when Ayton signed with the Wildcats.

"Regarding the men's basketball allegations, very few facts are in dispute," the NCAA reply said. "The institution does not dispute that Adidas and its employee and consultant provided at least $100,000 to families of three men's basketball student-athletes the institution was recruiting. Bill Self (Self), head men's basketball coach, and Kurtis Townsend (Townsend), assistant men's basketball coach, also do not dispute many of the facts related to Adidas and its representatives having contact with prospects, and that they regularly communicated with Adidas representatives about their recruitment of prospects.

"However, where the parties diverge from the NCAA enforcement staff is on the key issue of responsibility for this conduct. They assert that Adidas and four of its employees or consultants are not representatives of the institution's athletics interests, arguing the enforcement staff's analysis is novel, unprecedented and never previously contemplated by the NCAA membership."

The NCAA enforcement staff contends NCAA membership "feared shoe apparel company involvement and influence in the recruitment of elite student-athletes and then put safeguards into place in an attempt to prevent what occurred in this case."

"The institution failed to control and monitor the relationship between Adidas' representatives with its storied men's basketball program," the NCAA reply said. "This failure led to TJ Gassnola (Gassnola), a convicted criminal and then Adidas outside counsel, having unfiltered access to the men's basketball program and allowed for Gassnola and Adidas to profoundly influence the institution's recruitment of elite men's basketball student-athletes.

"In fact, Self and Townsend embraced, welcomed and encouraged Gassnola and Adidas' other representatives' impermissible involvement. When boosters commit violations, the membership has clearly spoken through its legislative authority and infractions case precedent that the institutions should be held responsible."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29147741/ncaa-enforcement-office-calls-kansas-violations-egregious-severe

Edited by LTtxfan