Kansas is Hopeless...

Jhawk

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

Now athletic director Jeff Long, is out as well.  When asked during a Zoom call about his history of football hires (Miles, Bobby Petrino, Bret Bielema) he became defensive.   When Long asked how those hires had been deficient, a media member replied, "on the field." Kansas alums and fans reacted negatively on local radio and social media after the Zoom conference. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

I want to be optimistic, but things can always get worse, and when it comes to our FB program we, almost without fail, make the wrong choices.  As a KU FB fan it is best just to expect complete failure, and be pleasantly surprised if that doesn't happen. I honestly think until we renovate our stadium, it will be hard to be even mediocre again. It is a big, festering symbol of the decades of neglect that the program has received.  It is hard to fund raise for a renovation, when the program is this putrid, so it is all just becomes a Groundhog Day of failure. 

21 hours ago, Blotto said:

Kansas fired football coach Les Miles after a 2013 investigation into allegations of inappropriate behavior by Miles during his time at LSU surfaced to the public. Now the man who hired Miles to lead the Jayhawks, athletic director Jeff Long, is out as well. Long confirmed to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd that he was relieved of his duties on Tuesday night.

"I'm pretty upset, but I know how the world works. I'm just sick because I tried to do everything the right way with high ethics and morals and doing the right thing for young people. That's the only thing that disappoints me," Long said.

The tide on Long retaining his job seemed to turn Tuesday afternoon when it seemed he would remain in control and be allowed to make the next hire. However, when asked during a Zoom call about his history of football hires (Miles, Bobby Petrino, Bret Bielema) he became defensive. 

When Long asked how those hires had been deficient, a media member replied, "on the field." Kansas alums and fans reacted negatively on local radio and social media after the Zoom conference. 

It should also be mentioned that when he was at Arkansas, he hired Jimmy Dykes to coach the women's basketball team despite his only qualifications being an ESPN commentator.  Arky has had a good women's program before and after that but hiring him was a complete insult to women's athletics.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It should also be mentioned that when he was at Arkansas, he hired Jimmy Dykes to coach the women's basketball team despite his only qualifications being an ESPN commentator.  Arky has had a good women's program before and after that but hiring him was a complete insult to women's athletics.

Dykes had been an Eddie Sutton assistant at Arky, Kentucky, and Okie State.  

14 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He was last an assistant in 1991.  In no way was he qualified for that job.

I honestly don't know what the qualifications are for NCAA women's basketball coaching, I just know that Dykes had a lot of high-level coaching experience despite your claim that his only qualification was being an ESPN commentator, so I'll check out now.  

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I honestly don't know what the qualifications are for NCAA women's basketball coaching, I just know that Dykes had a lot of high-level coaching experience despite your claim that his only qualification was being an ESPN commentator, so I'll check out now.  

Well he had a giant gap in his coaching resume between 1993 and 2014.  He lasted 3 seasons, went 43-49 (15-33 SEC) and 1-1 in the NCAA tournament. 

He had a lot of high-level coaching experience - in the 1980s.  Usually you hire someone who, idk, has coached or recruited during a period the players and recruits were alive? 

6 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He thought the last name was appropriate. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Deej said:

He thought the last name was appropriate. 

Obvious joke... that needed to be made.

I feel vindicated as my first thought was, "Well his last WAS Dykes."

Knowing that such a joke is not 2021 approved, I will show myself out. See you in non-pc jail @Deej. #Metoo indeed.

2 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Obvious joke... that needed to be made.

I feel vindicated as my first thought was, "Well his last WAS Dykes."

Knowing that such a joke is not 2021 approved, I will show myself out. See you in non-pc jail @Deej. #Metoo indeed.

I thought this was a safe space?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 1:57 PM, markstanco said:

They need to go full triple option to slow the game down like Georgia tech, then ease in to modern football.

The fits a triple option would cause in the b12 would be so watchable.

Some KU fans, me included, agree with this and have been arguing for a running heavy system for most of the past decade.  We will always struggle to pull in talent that compares to the top half of the B12 running some form of the spread or passing heavy offense. We would find it much easier to get a top option QB since so few schools run it now days. Running back is the easiest position to recruit good players at. Just have to get some disciplined, solid lineman. We would be much harder to prepare for as a unique offense in the B12, would control the clock, and keep games closer. Our floor each season would be substantially higher IMO, even if the ceiling is lower. And this is KU FB. We will be at the floor most of the time and almost never at our ceiling, especially with the round robin schedule where you won't get lucky and dodge the top teams that year sometimes. Army's Monken is one of the 2 coaches most wished for on KU fans wish list at this time. The other is Buffalo's Leipold.  We'd be lucky to land either and both currently use run heavy systems.

Goff would be a solid AD hire with the chance to be a home run. It would have been nice to get a successful sitting P5 AD, but with FB being in the toilet, and possible sanctions in the future looming, it was going to be hard to attract those guys away from another P5 school.  Plus, he would not be tied to a current FBHC like the candidates from Army and Tulane so won't play favorites in our FB coaching search. Supposedly, he is also Self's favorite choice as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think we got him because of self. I think there were better candidates but I don’t doubt self and him had a chat about the basketball program and what self needs for support and what he doesn’t need to continue to compete at an elite level. Lot of wink wink in that meeting I’m guessing and Goff was probably the candidate that agreed to keep the basketball program the strongest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

The 2008 Orange Bowl season has a lot of people thinking KU can still do that again, running a spread, even though that season was a combination of scheduling and a bunch of two and low 3 star kids developing into NFL caliber talents in a way that rarely happens in Lawrence, KS. Not to mention the spread is everywhere now, including in the B10 and SEC, and not just in a few conferences like it was in 2008. Spread talent is much harder to come by now for a school like KU that will be fighting for the left over spread recruits with the G5 and other P5 recruiting bottom feeders. There is less competition for recruits that would shine in a running oriented systems if we went that road. 

There are a lot of idiots saying the triple option is boring on KU boards, especially compared to the KC Chiefs offense up the road from Lawrence. You know what is exciting idiots? Winning.  If the next coach, Monken, Leipold, Saban or the Buddha, thinks having a running heavy offense will help us win in the B12, then hope they are right, and let them run it. 

Edited by Jhawkmvp
  • Hook 'Em 1

Here are my thoughts on the Triple Option.  The linebackers and safeties are just too fast in today's game and a lot of the B12 teams will stop it BUT it will give them fits and KU will be in most games in the 4th quarter.  So, if KU goes that route, they probably become a 5-7 win team versus a 1-2 win team.  You upset a Texas or OU once every 8-10 years and aside from those two, you win a game or even 3 you're not supposed to every year.  If you understand your ceiling and are ok with that, have at it.  If I were a KU fan, I would want to rebuild more like Iowa State who competes at a higher level.   It's a tough road, but you can be just as good as anyone else in the Big 12 not named OU or Texas. If OU or Texas is down, you may get in the B12 championship. 

That may be exciting to you and the average KU fan.  For me, I would give competing at a higher level a shot before I conceded to the triple option.

• Hook 'Em 1

Most High School kids who get to attend college at a major university have dreams of continuing if possible to the next level after college. Running the veer or the triple option greatly diminishes that dream. Are there exceptions? Sure are but like I said takes a special player to adjust afterwards. Besides what is next if this does not work out the Wing T?

I mainly just want to see a more run focused offensive system under the next coach. Whatever form that ends up being. Something like what Snyder ran at KSU would be ideal. Lean heavily on the run, but when you get a good dual threat QB, then open up and pass more.  Those seasons are when you will have a chance at a breakthrough season, but the rest of the time you will be competitive and have a shot at a bowl game most of the time.  Leipold seems to fit this mold better than Monken, but I would take the triple option in a heartbeat over another coach implementing a pass heavy offense when we lack talent and our undermanned defense gets worn out by halftime.

4 hours ago, markstanco said:

The wing T is greatness. Not for cfb though.

When that offense is run well with precision, it's a beautiful thing.  It's not bad even when sloppy, but a disciplined high school team running it with precision is fun to watch, as is the triple option.  The triple option just  demands much more precision.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 1:06 AM, PhillyD said:

Here are my thoughts on the Triple Option.  The linebackers and safeties are just too fast in today's game and a lot of the B12 teams will stop it BUT it will give them fits and KU will be in most games in the 4th quarter.  So, if KU goes that route, they probably become a 5-7 win team versus a 1-2 win team.  You upset a Texas or OU once every 8-10 years and aside from those two, you win a game or even 3 you're not supposed to every year.  If you understand your ceiling and are ok with that, have at it.  If I were a KU fan, I would want to rebuild more like Iowa State who competes at a higher level.   It's a tough road, but you can be just as good as anyone else in the Big 12 not named OU or Texas. If OU or Texas is down, you may get in the B12 championship. 

That may be exciting to you and the average KU fan.  For me, I would give competing at a higher level a shot before I conceded to the triple option.

We’ve won 22 total games from  august 2010 until today. That’s 2 per season and are coming off 2 zero win seasons in the late 6 years (including last season). 

Direct and simple question, at what level of suck would you say “yeah it’s about time to triple option”? 

I could make an argument that the reason every bit of talent and every team runs the spread is because of what KU, UL, WVU, Rutgers, Utah, and even Duke!!, were able to do when they adopted the offense  that no one ran or prepared for back in the mid 00’s. The parity wasn’t good for the Texas/OU’s of the world and smaller schools were winning with lesser players. If now isn’t the time for the pendulum to swing the opposite direction and to try something else then it never will be for a program like KU. That being said, I want Leipold because I think he can win now. If he isn’t the guy then bring In monken and tell him we are running the triple option. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

Whoever KU gets, I don't want them; that coach seems desperate. What they should do is kidnap the wife and kids of a good coach and safely return them once that coach produces results.

R2c42e5d1180151c51eea14f72088068e?rik=56

You'd probably be doing some coaches a favor. Kansas's immediate past coach comes to mind. 

Poster on the Ku boards that has had good sources in the past says the deal is done. Also says “it’s a great day to be a jayhawk” after all recent chatter has been about leipold. Would be an amazing hire if we could get him. 

15 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Poster on the Ku boards that has had good sources in the past says the deal is done. Also says “it’s a great day to be a jayhawk” after all recent chatter has been about leipold. Would be an amazing hire if we could get him. 

What are the best KU boards?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

How did the last rising star Buffalo coach work out?