Kansas is Hopeless...

Jhawk

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

What are the best KU boards?

Phog.net is ok but when KUsports.com went downhill all boards pretty much splintered apart taking 10-25% of the fans that would post. Nothing is even sniffing “average”. 

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

bugs bunny opera GIF by Looney Tunes

Leopold! Leopold! haha

Nice reference for the Buffalo/Kansas situation.

For a Philly guy, there is also the Philly connection-- Leopold Stowkowski was famous for spurning the baton and conducting simply with his hand gestures...and he did that during his long association with the Philly Orchestra as its music director (made most famous for recording the score of Disney's Fantasia, and also appearing in some Hollywood movies on screen, famously in Deanna Durbin-starrer 1937 hit One Hundred Men and a Girl. 

He must have been a major cultural icon of that time for him to be featured like that in Looney Tunes.

Edited by PHLaggie
  • Like 2

I wanted leipold all along... then was told monken was the guy and got hyped about it. I love the leipold hire. But will wonder what could have been if we don’t become a bowl team with leipold. At the end of the day I don’t think we can do anything but improve with either coach. I’m pumped. I hope monken gets a chance somewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I wanted to get some perspective about how bad KU football has been. As a lifelong Iowa State fan (been avidly paying attention since ‘95), I’ve suffered some awful football.

KU has had 11 straight seasons where they’ve failed to get 4 wins.

ISU’s longest such streak in my lifetime was 6 years, which ended in ‘99.

If KU fails to win 4 games this year, they will DOUBLE our worst stretch.

Mercy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/30/2021 at 7:20 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I wanted to get some perspective about how bad KU football has been. As a lifelong Iowa State fan (been avidly paying attention since ‘95), I’ve suffered some awful football.

Mercy.

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Rather unbelievably, even what you wrote doesn't do how awful KU has been justice. Kansas hasn't won more than 1 conference game in a season since 2008. As far as I've been able to discover, KU has the worst 12-season conference winning percentage in major college football history:

1. Kansas, 2009-2020, Big 12 - 7-98 (.067)

2. Univ. of the South (Sewanee), 1929-1940, Southern/SEC - 4-54-1 (.069)

3. Western State, 1925-1936, Rocky Mountain Conf. - 5-59 (.078)

4. UTEP, 1975-1986, WAC - 8-78 (.093)

5. Kansas State, 1941-1952, Big 6/Big 7 - 6-58-1 (.094)

Back in 2017 I got curious about how to illustrate how bad things were, and have tracked the above info on phog.net every year since then. My research may not be completely exhaustive, but as far as I know, these are the only 5 major college programs to ever have a sub-.100 conference winning percentage over 12 seasons, with the Jayhawks "leading" the pack. Definitely deserves a place in a "Kansas is Hopeless" thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/30/2021 at 6:20 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Mercy.

Ours was 8 seasons from 1997-2005 and no bowl games from Dec 31 1994 until Dec 29 2010.  It was torture, but KU still has a few to go to match our bowless streak. For their sake I hope they don't make it.

Ours was 8 seasons from 1997-2005 and no bowl games from Dec 31 1994 until Dec 29 2010.  It was torture, but KU still has a few to go to match our bowless streak. For their sake I hope they don't make it.

Your 2005 team can go fuck itself.

After they beat us in Ames, in a fit of histrionics, I made plans to go home and farm the weekend of the CU game. That game got delayed because a tornado hit Ames about 3 hours before kick (all the damage was 4-5 miles from Jack Trice), and it ended being absolutely electric.

And I missed because we couldn’t stop Shawn Bell for running (!) 17 yards on 3rd and 16.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Me too. I thought he was perfect. Tough. It’s what Kansas needed I felt like. Oh well. 

Oh well ??

No it's great -- don't need for UT to face a fuckin'  Monken "old-school triple-option offense" every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Your 2005 team can go fuck itself.

After they beat us in Ames, in a fit of histrionics, I made plans to go home and farm the weekend of the CU game. That game got delayed because a tornado hit Ames about 3 hours before kick (all the damage was 4-5 miles from Jack Trice), and it ended being absolutely electric.

And I missed because we couldn’t stop Shawn Bell for running (!) 17 yards on 3rd and 16.

I was a junior in high school at a band competition that day (lulz) and i remember seeing on my flip phone that Baylor had won at Iowa State. Nobody really cared but I couldn't remember a road conference win and it was a weird feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

Lance Leipold’s first Kansas staff is an equal mix of Buffalo and KU coaches

By Zach Barnett -   May 12, 2021

Kansas on Wednesday announced Lance Leipold’s first coaching staff as the head Jayhawk, and it’s an equal mix of continuity (for the players) and continuity (for himself).  Five of the 10 assistants will join Leipold from Buffalo and five will stick around from Les Miles’s staff.

“I am extremely proud of the staff we have assembled here at Kansas,” Leipold said. “It’s no secret how much I value continuity among a coaching staff, and I truly believe we’ve achieved that here. This is a great blend of coaches who know the philosophies and principles I want to bring to this program and coaches who know the ins-and-outs of Kansas Football as well as our current personnel. We have elite talent developers, excellent recruiters and hard workers ready to do their very best for the student-athletes on this roster.  “Every single coach is ready to dig in and get this team ready to compete at the highest level.”

The offensive and defensive coordinators are both “Leipold guys;” OC Andy Kotelnicki has been with Leipold since Whitewater in 2013, and DC Brian Borland dates all the way back to 1994. But special teams coordinator Jake Schoonover was retained from the previous staff (he actually didn’t join the staff until February) and interim head coach Emmett Jones was retained as wide receivers coach.

E1NpMBhXMAYjBHw?format=jpg&name=large

Here is the list of the 10 assistants, with their 2020 employment in parenthesis.

• Offensive coordinator: Andy Kotelnicki (Buffalo)
  • Quarterbacks: Jim Zebrowski (Buffalo)
  • Running Backs: Jonathan Wallace (Kansas)
  • Wide Receivers: Emmett Jones (Kansas)
  • Offensive Line: Scott Fuchs (Buffalo)
  • Defensive Coordinator: Brian Borland (Buffalo)
  • Linebackers: Chris Simpson (Buffalo)
  • Cornerbacks: Chevis Jackson (Kansas)
  • Defensive Line: Kwahn Drake (Kansas)
  • Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers: Jake Schoonover (Kansas)

The 5 KU assistants retained are the same 5 we reported on May 3rd would be retained.

Pete Thamel reported last week that Leipold would bring seven coaches with him from Upstate New York. Rob Ianello (associate head coach/tight ends) and Taiwo Onatolu (special teams/defensive ends) were mentioned in the Thamel report but not announced today. One or both could still join the staff in off-the-field roles, which were not included in Wednesday’s announcement.

Edited by LTtxfan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 11:42 PM, ButtFumble said:

I was just noticing the same thing at LTtxFan

Kansas has been poaching Buffalo players left and right

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/?

I wouldn't completely say "poaching." They want to continue to play for the coach, the man who recruited them. Plus, even though the Jayhawks suck, this is national television exposure. Don't get that very much in Buffalo with the MAC. 

5 hours ago, Dean Gullberry said:

As an ISU alum and fan, I'm still getting used to hearing Iowa State and better competition in the same sentence.  But I do enjoy it.

Beats the hell out of when McCarney arrived and pretty much none of the existing players had other Big 8 offers, mostly Nebraska-Omaha, North Texas, etc.