Kansas is Hopeless...

Jhawk

• 2 weeks later...

Kansas: 25,641(53 percent) of stadium capacity...

Attendance at Jayhawk football games needs to improve, but is it a chicken vs egg situation..? As if the program wins, more fans will show up, or fans need to show to help wins..?

11 minutes ago, qwertyu1234 said:

I wonder how many of those seats are from the visitors.

I've been to ISU/KU games in Lawrence where at least 35-40% of the crowd were ISU fans.

I could see there being more KSU fans in the stadium than KU when they play there.

• Like 1

It leaked earlier this spring, after they cancelled the spring game because of not having a center on the roster, that our season ticket holders had plummeted and we had less than 5000 season tickets sold as of early May.  I asked the head of the Williams Fund at our breakfast if our reported attendance numbers are accurate and he smirked, let out a chuckle, and then said "no".  We realistically probably averaged about 15k in ticket sales last year.  Probably 7-10k through the gates over the course of the season. 

That is all part of the mismanagement of the AD.  It isn't a chicken or egg thing as much as people think.  We could have top 3 season ticket sales in the conference but we took away the benefit of basketball seat selection points for having football tickets.  When they tweaked our point system they effectively killed the last revenue stream KU football had to offer.  The truth is, we aren't going to clear the attendance numbers required by the NCAA to remain a D1 program this year (15k per game).  We might not have cleared it last year.

Baylor is the second worst in attendance at 43k a game.  Think about that.  If we had each fan spend $50 per trip to the stadium (ticket/merch/concessions) and just averaged what baylor averages then we are leaving $8mm a season on the table (20k fans per game using the reported numbers).  That number easily doubles with a decent team because donations would easily be $8mm more a year just because of football.  Then on top of that, if we became a 7-8 win team every other year, we'd probably see spending more like $75-$100 per patron.  We are probably leaving about $20-25mm on the table EACH YEAR by just mismanaging football.  That would put us up in the top 20 budgets for an AD and we'd probably be knocking on the door of the top 15 or 10 given the economies of growing the pie.  It is borderline criminal what has been done to the KU football program.  There really should be an investigation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

It leaked earlier this spring, after they cancelled the spring game because of not having a center on the roster, that our season ticket holders had plummeted and we had less than 5000 season tickets sold as of early May.  I asked the head of the Williams Fund at our breakfast if our reported attendance numbers are accurate and he smirked, let out a chuckle, and then said "no".  We realistically probably averaged about 15k in ticket sales last year.  Probably 7-10k through the gates over the course of the season. 

That is all part of the mismanagement of the AD.  It isn't a chicken or egg thing as much as people think.  We could have top 3 season ticket sales in the conference but we took away the benefit of basketball seat selection points for having football tickets.  When they tweaked our point system they effectively killed the last revenue stream KU football had to offer.  The truth is, we aren't going to clear the attendance numbers required by the NCAA to remain a D1 program this year (15k per game).  We might not have cleared it last year.

Baylor is the second worst in attendance at 43k a game.  Think about that.  If we had each fan spend $50 per trip to the stadium (ticket/merch/concessions) and just averaged what baylor averages then we are leaving $8mm a season on the table (20k fans per game using the reported numbers).  That number easily doubles with a decent team because donations would easily be $8mm more a year just because of football.  Then on top of that, if we became a 7-8 win team every other year, we'd probably see spending more like $75-$100 per patron.  We are probably leaving about $20-25mm on the table EACH YEAR by just mismanaging football.  That would put us up in the top 20 budgets for an AD and we'd probably be knocking on the door of the top 15 or 10 given the economies of growing the pie.  It is borderline criminal what has been done to the KU football program.  There really should be an investigation.

what were the attendance numbers when the fat man was still coaching KU

9 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Couldn’t find all the way back but in 2010, the first year of our slide to the depths of the abyss, we were at 44.8k per game in a stadium that holds 50k. 

I think eventually once Snyder retires, that Kansas will claim it's rightful spot as the premier football program of the Sunflower State... #RockChalk..!

On 6/21/2018 at 10:28 PM, kopp0e said:

Attendance at Jayhawk football games needs to improve, but is it a chicken vs egg situation..? As if the program wins, more fans will show up, or fans need to show to help wins..?

Sounds like they need to expand.

6 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Sounds like they need to expand.

I think eventually, we could see a change in the way the football experience is presented... We could see more renovations where stadiums have more of a "movie theater feel", by replacing bench seats with reclining armchair seats and widening isles, maybe even having awnings around the stadiums to keep out some of the harsh weather...

Here is some of that happening at another basketball first school: North Carolina...

LOCAL

IMG_UNCCITADEL-SP-111916_8_1_F5CS5DV6_L3UNC’s Kenan Stadium will get new seats, with chair backs, for 2018 football season

BY CAMILA MOLINA

cmolina@newsobserver.com

January 08, 2018 01:52 PM

Updated January 08, 2018 10:51 PM

CHAPEL HILL 

Carolina Athletics announced Monday that it will remove sections of Kenan Stadium’s bleachers and replace them with seats with chair backs before the 2018 football season.

The university said it was making the change “to create a more comfortable and fan-friendly game day experience at Kenan Stadium,” goheels.com said in a news release on Monday.

The removal of the bleachers will begin in February.

The bleachers in the upper and lower levels, except the student sections, will be replaced with seats with chair backs and arm rests, the news release said.

The university estimated that the change will reduce the seating capacity at Kenan Stadium to about 51,000. The current capacity is 63,000.

The project is expected to cost $6 million to $6.5 million. To pay for the seats and for facility improvements, a $6 fee will be added to each ticket.

On 6/8/2018 at 4:22 PM, Jhawk said:

He told me some figures about how KU only has 3,000 donors to the AD/Williams Education Fund (the fund that handles the AD donations) at a level of $5k a year or more.  Unsurprisingly, this is about the same number of season ticket holders we have for KU basketball.  

You only have 3,000 season ticket holders for basketball?  That seems pretty shitty considering your program's stature.

You’ve got to think.. those 3000 ticket holders are all donating at least 5 figures a year and take 4 tickets each. That’s 12k of our 16k sears sold. 2400 student seats. 1600 for sale on the open market. Not crazy at all. 

Edited by Jhawk

It appears some Jayhawk fans want to go Back to the Future..?

Forget everything else, basketball included: Could you imagine a football schedule loaded with D2 schools?

By Mike.Plank  Jun 29, 2018, 11:00am CDT

usa_today_10278728.0.jpgSteven Branscombe-USA TODAY Sports

Let’s get crazy this time out.

We’ve looked at the MAC. We’ve looked at the Sun Belt. We’ve looked at the Mountain West. We’ve even looked at the Missouri Valley, an FCS league.

But today, let’s look at Division 2 MIAA, whose claim to fame is Northwest Missouri State.

First, a few facts.

Division 1 football programs are able to offer 85 full scholarships. FCS programs are able to offer “the equivalent” of 63 full scholarships; they can spread that money over 85 student-athletes.

Division 2 programs only get “the equivalent” of 36 scholarships.

So, there is a HUGE talent differential between D2 and FCS, let alone FBS.

The next thing we have to address is that there is no reasonable way to compare a D1 program to a D2 program. I would wager it would be similar to comparing Alabama to the Cleveland Browns. (Spoiler alert: Cleveland wins 99 times out of 100.)

And finally, it should be noted that the MIAA is Northwest Missouri State and everyone else, and over the past four years it really hasn’t even been close. NWMSU has been in the playoffs every year since 2004, going 30-9 in the postseason. They have played in 8 national championship games since 2005, winning four, including 3 of the past 4 national titles. Of the three most recent titles, the closest game was a 15-point affair (in 2013).

Northwest routinely beats top-10 ranked D2 teams by 30+ points and top-25 teams by 40 or 50.

NWMSU is 56-2 over the past four years with three unbeaten seasons (15-0).

Kansas is 6-42 over that same stretch.

Based on how thoroughly NWMSU has dominated its competition, I have no doubt that Kansas would fare VERY well in the MIAA. The talent discrepancy is just too much.

But what I can’t shake is this feeling that if the Bearcats and Jayhawks were to meet, it might be a competitive affair. Somebody talk some sense into me.

Somebody.

Anybody.

Bueller?

On 6/22/2018 at 10:21 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I've been to ISU/KU games in Lawrence where at least 35-40% of the crowd were ISU fans.

I could see there being more KSU fans in the stadium than KU when they play there.

75% of the fans at a KSU game are grapes. WHen they smell blood in the water, it's a frenzy. ISU has always traveled well, and Lawrence isn't that hard a drive. With KU's home schedule this year, it's gonna be real hard to average the 15K you need to remain in D1. Non Cons are a school in Louisiana over Labor day weekend, Rutgers, OSU, ISU, TCU, and Tejas. Come on ISU, we need a sell out. 

On 6/23/2018 at 6:14 PM, kopp0e said:

I think eventually once Snyder retires, that Kansas will claim it's rightful spot as the premier football program of the Sunflower State... #RockChalk..!

The trouble is, Snyder will never retire. I'm convinced KSU has cloned him, and he's never stepping down. If his son doesn;t take over for him, his grandson will

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayhawkRPh said:

75% of the fans at a KSU game are grapes. WHen they smell blood in the water, it's a frenzy. ISU has always traveled well, and Lawrence isn't that hard a drive. With KU's home schedule this year, it's gonna be real hard to average the 15K you need to remain in D1. Non Cons are a school in Louisiana over Labor day weekend, Rutgers, OSU, ISU, TCU, and Tejas. Come on ISU, we need a sell out. 

If we're doing well, we could easily bring 15k to Lawrence.  Take over Louise's West and what not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JayhawkRPh said:

I got you bro.  Gonna swing by OP, pick up some Cyclone homeboys and zip over to Larry for the game.

On 7/1/2018 at 4:35 PM, Longboard Horn said:

Yep, this is the “Tell me about” thread for Kansas

Our motto is ‘ you lose to us, your coach gets fired’ MU, KSU, Colorado, and Texas. When the fat man coached, it was ‘our coach can eat your coach ‘

• Like 2

On 6/21/2018 at 9:28 PM, kopp0e said:

Fans need to show up to keep the average attendance over 15  K . Lawrence is a sanctuary city so maybe we can comp out some tickets. Maybe a field trip for some of the guys at the big house in Leavenworth?

• Like 1

Hearing a lot of chatter about Jeff Long’s relationships and our next hire. A lot of Bert, Hoke, Miles talk on the Ku message boards. 

Personally, if we can’t/won’t go triple option then I think schiano would be my top choice. I think Hoke and Bert are higher risk than necessary from a W/L standpoint. Miles would be a lot of fun and we’d probably keep Tony Hull on staff and tear up LA recruiting (relative to Ku’s ability). 

Im actually excited to watch what could be the worst season in KU history. Well... one of the top 3 worst seasons. 

• Like 1

I like Long and think he got a raw deal at Arkansas.  The criticism he got at Arkansas was that he wasn't big on booster relations and focused more on corporate money.  Eventually the boosters ran him off when they found an opening (Bielema).  I think he focuses on the doing things the right way.

He made two hires in football.  One was the coach of the Atlanta Falcons (Petrino), the other (Bielema) was a 41 year coach who'd gone 68-24 in the Big 10 and gone to three straight BCS games.

We know what happened with both, but, IMO, neither were bad hires at the time.  The Bielema contract was terrible, but that's what its going to take to steal a coach away from a good program.

I wouldn't expect him to hire someone he knows at KU.  Both Petrino and Bielema were out of the blue, and there were no leaks at all leading up to them being hired.

Yeah. I’m not really worried with him at the helm. We have a professional AD now. From what I’ve read, long was actually waiting an extra year on Bert’s contract and the boosters didn’t want to wait. If true then I don’t have a problem with how he exited UA. I haven’t looked at Bert’s contract to verify that though. 

Im ready to watch this all play out. We literally can’t get any worse so it’s rrally just a race to bowl eligibility. We can’t get worse. Baylor can’t get worse. Tech is on a downward slide. Two to three teams in this conference will always miss out. We have to hope to get to the edge of bowl eligibility ASAP for various reasons. We he first of which is because there will be an opening in the next 3 years. 

10 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Hearing a lot of chatter about Jeff Long’s relationships and our next hire. A lot of Bert, Hoke, Miles talk on the Ku message boards. 

Personally, if we can’t/won’t go triple option then I think schiano would be my top choice. I think Hoke and Bert are higher risk than necessary from a W/L standpoint. Miles would be a lot of fun and we’d probably keep Tony Hull on staff and tear up LA recruiting (relative to Ku’s ability). 

Im actually excited to watch what could be the worst season in KU history. Well... one of the top 3 worst seasons. 

I know that Schiano is known for top rate defense, but what would be the projected offense implemented in his system..?

Otherwise I agree that out of the names you mention, The Mad Hatter might just be what the Jayhawks need to take it's place as the premier football brand from The Wizard...

If schiano was the answer I wouldn’t doubt a return of ed Warriner as OC.  He worked with schiano at OSU and has had great offenses at KU. 

For the record I desperately want to go triple option. I want moneken from Army but I’d take the hatter and I’d also take kiffin. Pelini is also way up there for me. 

Edited by Jhawk