Kansas is Hopeless...

Jhawk

You guys are talking yourselves into thinking that Beaty is competent and that just isn't the case.  If you want him then by all means, have him.  As shown, his texas prowess in recruiting has yielded jack shit for KU.  The only coach on staff I would want to keep is Tony Hull who has gone into lousianna and done well for us.  Other than that, clean house and if the next guy wants to get rid of Hull as well then I'm not going to stand in his way.  We are either not evaluating kids right, not developing them, or both.  Given this staff's general incompetence I'd lean toward both and that means that I'd be ok with Hull getting the ax too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

You guys are talking yourselves into thinking that Beaty is competent and that just isn't the case.  If you want him then by all means, have him.  As shown, his texas prowess in recruiting has yielded jack shit for KU.  The only coach on staff I would want to keep is Tony Hull who has gone into lousianna and done well for us.  Other than that, clean house and if the next guy wants to get rid of Hull as well then I'm not going to stand in his way.  We are either not evaluating kids right, not developing them, or both.  Given this staff's general incompetence I'd lean toward both and that means that I'd be ok with Hull getting the ax too.

So just because the guy sucks as a CEO means that he also now sucks as a middle manager?

3 minutes ago, txhorns said:

So just because the guy sucks as a CEO means that he also now sucks as a middle manager?

The guy sucks as a middle manager too.

Look at the history of A&M.  Beaty didn't come in and do shit for them.  He was there for 2 years.  They have always gotten players because they are a top 2 school in a top 2 state.  That will always happen.  What we can extrapolate from his time at KU is that he doesn't do what he says he will do.  He cannot develop talent.  He cannot judge talent.

I think a lot of people think he is a savant with recruiting.  That just isn't the case.  We weren't sniffing any talent until Hull arrived AND Orgeron toasted his relationships in LA.  Not a minute before.  It has been rumored that Beaty's actual job in recruiting circles was more about arranging meetings and making sure the logistics of meetings were right.  Not about evaluating or recruiting the talent.  If you think he will make receivers better then I'd tell you to look at KU's abysmal receiving corps.  Beaty is a recruiting coordinator and nothing more.

• Like 1

Here are my thoughts:

0-1 - Fired immediately

1-3 - Let's see how @baylor goes

1-4 with baylor boat racing us - Fired.

1-4 in a close game where we have a chance to win - Probably sees week 5.

From there on, I think it will basically be week to week with him being fired in week 9-10 as is customary with a coach that is going to be fired.  Any given week where we look completely lost on the field (hint: every week) will be grounds for termination.  We all know it is when, not if.  The longer we can hold onto him the better though.  We have him now so no reason to offload him as this season is already a waste.  Might as well make it look like you're going to get 4 years minimum to be a coach here.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Here are my thoughts:

0-1 - Fired immediately

From there on, I think it will basically be week to week with him being fired in week 9-10 as is customary with a coach that is going to be fired.  Any given week where we look completely lost on the field (hint: every week) will be grounds for termination.  We all know it is when, not if.  The longer we can hold onto him the better though.  We have him now so no reason to offload him as this season is already a waste.  Might as well make it look like you're going to get 4 years minimum to be a coach here.

What you DO have going for you is that everyone can see it coming and any alumni with any pull is talking to everyone that they know in the business. Feelers will be out before the season even starts.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/24/17607700/mac-pirate-flag-yaaarrr

The MAC is coming off of a pretty successful year. In football, 2017 marked its 10th time to have five or more programs receive a bowl bid, and its Power 5 games included wins over Nebraska, Rutgers, Kansas, and Kansas again. And in basketball, Buffalo blew out Pac-12 champion Arizona in the NCAA tournament.

At least beating Kansas is still significant for someone(s)!

Edited by texifornia

On 7/23/2018 at 10:21 AM, Jhawk said:

Look at the history of A&M.  Beaty didn't come in and do shit for them.  He was there for 2 years.  They have always gotten players because they are a top 2 school in a top 2 state.  That will always happen.  

This is so inaccurate. Beaty had a significant impact on A&M's recruiting. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Looking at that quote, did 2 seperate teams beat Kansas in 1 season from the MAC..? If so, that is astounding... 

Central Michigan won in Lawrence 45-27 and KU lost at Ohio 42-30 in a game that was 42-24 until the last play of the game.  KU lost 11 games by double digits last year LOL.  Only one they didn't was a 38-16 win over SE Missouri, which went 3-8 in FCS.

If that's the hill you want to die on then I don't need to be the guy to convince you that he is a worthless sack of shit.  By all means, PLEASE HIRE HIM AWAY FROM US.  It isn't like we'll lose more games without him.

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

Central Michigan won in Lawrence 45-27 and KU lost at Ohio 42-30 in a game that was 42-24 until the last play of the game.  KU lost 11 games by double digits last year LOL.  Only one they didn't was a 38-16 win over SE Missouri, which went 3-8 in FCS.

The year before that, when we beat UT, our only real win was against Rhode Island who themselves were actually the worst team in FCS (CAA conference) the year prior with 1 win over Delaware.  The UT game doesn't count because if we would have lost a game where the opposing team had 6 turnovers (they were handed to us not taken from UT) then the whole campus would have been burnt to the ground I'm sure.  We basically have 2 wins in 3 years.  1 against the worst team in football from the year prior and one against SEMO who was also probably one of the worst teams in football that year.

We really are one of the worst FBS teams of all time at this point and that designation could be put out of reach this year if we lose to Nicholls and then go on to lose every game while having the weakest schedule in FBS football.

I can't wait to get this year going.  Going to be fun watching it all burn to the ground after 8 years of misery.

On 7/24/2018 at 1:40 PM, Jhawk said:

The year before that, when we beat UT, our only real win was against Rhode Island who themselves were actually the worst team in FCS (CAA conference) the year prior with 1 win over Delaware.  The UT game doesn't count because if we would have lost a game where the opposing team had 6 turnovers (they were handed to us not taken from UT) then the whole campus would have been burnt to the ground I'm sure.  We basically have 2 wins in 3 years.  1 against the worst team in football from the year prior and one against SEMO who was also probably one of the worst teams in football that year.

We really are one of the worst FBS teams of all time at this point and that designation could be put out of reach this year if we lose to Nicholls and then go on to lose every game while having the weakest schedule in FBS football.

I can't wait to get this year going.  Going to be fun watching it all burn to the ground after 8 years of misery.

Who will average fewer points against, basketball or football?

50 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Maybe so, but the important question is, does The Wheel still serve beer in icy mugs and have greasy cheeseburgers?

I remember getting pizza there from a booth that was opened to the patio area.  I think they were serving beer out of plastic cups, given the crowd.

Bad ass Big 8 mural on the wall in there too.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I remember getting pizza there from a booth that was opened to the patio area.  I think they were serving beer out of plastic cups, given the crowd.

Bad ass Big 8 mural on the wall in there too.

I was there at like 1 or 2 in the morning with some international students I met enjoying some slices and some drunk, shirtless white dude came over and just sucker punched this other white dude in the face while he was sitting on a bench. I think they were mortified lol.

Kansas football captains regret snubbing Baker Mayfield

by BERRY TRAMEL
Published: Wed, July 25, 2018 5:00 AM

“It was a mistake,” Dineen said. “A spur of the moment thing to put our foot in the ground. It really was just to motivate our team. Looking back, there's much better ways of doing that. It was just a bad representation of our university, and myself, and our coach.”

https://newsok.com/article/5602460/kansas-football-captains-regret-snubbing-baker-mayfield

The Jayhawks answer questions on last year's infamous non-greeting...

On 7/23/2018 at 3:30 PM, Jhawk said:

Here are my thoughts:

0-1 - Fired immediately

The greatness of the situation is there is plenty of time to look and see who is the hot up & coming coach of the year, and give a competitive offer...

My kid is thinking about going to KU.  They're offering instate tuition and a chance to get an engineering degree and an MBA in 9 semesters.  Anyone have any thoughts on the positives (besides basketball) and negatives (other than sucky football) of going to KU and specifically about their engineering or business programs?  TCU is an option (depending on scholarship $$) as well as UT (not top 6% though [only 6.2%]), A&M and UGa.

16 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

My kid is thinking about going to KU.  They're offering instate tuition and a chance to get an engineering degree and an MBA in 9 semesters.  Anyone have any thoughts on the positives (besides basketball) and negatives (other than sucky football) of going to KU and specifically about their engineering or business programs?  TCU is an option (depending on scholarship $$) as well as UT (not top 6% though [only 6.2%]), A&M and UGa.

Great schools. Engineering is solid if he specializes (chemical/petroleum). Beautiful campus and women. The Greek system is extremely strong (20% if campus) and the business school is pretty damn good. I loved every minute in Lawrence. 

Mid im being honest with myself then I would go to TCU or SMU. Ku is only a “connections” school if you are top of your class or extremely active on campus. I was an average student in the Greek system and it wasn’t like I saw alum come through offering internships or advice on various industries and ways to make money. Frankly, I left KU as lost as when I came in. There was never a mentor opportunity which is the only thing that has mattered in my career. If I could have found a mentor my junior year of college I can only imagine where I might be and I’m pretty damn successful at 33. 

Lwrence is an amazing town though. Highly recommend at least checking it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2018 at 5:28 PM, angelos's frog said:

I’m an EE from KU and my wife did a CS/Business double in 10 semesters there. If the long term plan is to live in Texas, the network of alumni in Austin and Dallas is pretty strong (don’t know about Houston). The engineering school (and university as a whole) is better than its ratings due to entrance/acceptance requirements for in-state kids. It’s the anti-UT on that front.

if you have any specific questions, you can PM me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

UT is quite selective on in-state kids.  KU is (legally) not allowed to be.  UT's 6% auto rate was literally 100% for KU until a few years ago.  Now they can at least screen for the total dumbasses.

When I went to KU you were guaranteed acceptance if you met 1 of 3 conditions:

1. Graduate in the top 33% of your HS class.

2. Achieve a 2.5 on a standard 4.0 grade scale in HS.

3. Get a 21 or higher on the ACT.

The requirements at that time were the same for ALL kansas schools.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:32 PM, Machinator said:

After benching this guy later in the year, Beaty decides to go back to his honey hole of using the QB who led us to a 45-0 shutout loss against ISU and then the following week led us to a 43-0 loss against TCU.

His line those weeks: 16/35, 56 yards, 1 int, and he was sacked 1000 times.  He has no mobility but apparently he practices really well in the 3 live plays we run each week.  Lucky for us/him, Beaty has been splitting reps evenly between all QBs on roster so he has only had about 50% of the practice time of any other QB in the nation.  Also lucky for us, we have a completely new offensive line that showed up on campus about 2-3 weeks ago because in his recruiting brilliance, Beaty forgot to recruit any O-Line players.

We opened at +10.5 against Nicholls, right where I thought we would be.  We were last place against the spread in 2017 and I think we were bottom 5 against the spread in 2016.  Take the points and if you are feeling randy I would bet on Nicholls for an outright win.

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

When I went to KU you were guaranteed acceptance if you met 1 of 3 conditions:

1. Graduate in the top 33% of your HS class.

2. Achieve a 2.5 on a standard 4.0 grade scale in HS.

3. Get a 21 or higher on the ACT.

The requirements at that time were the same for ALL kansas schools.

Well no wonder I didn't go there since I met all 3.

On 8/23/2018 at 3:53 PM, Jhawk said:

After benching this guy later in the year, Beaty decides to go back to his honey hole of using the QB who led us to a 45-0 shutout loss against ISU and then the following week led us to a 43-0 loss against TCU.

His line those weeks: 16/35, 56 yards, 1 int, and he was sacked 1000 times.  He has no mobility but apparently he practices really well in the 3 live plays we run each week.  Lucky for us/him, Beaty has been splitting reps evenly between all QBs on roster so he has only had about 50% of the practice time of any other QB in the nation.  Also lucky for us, we have a completely new offensive line that showed up on campus about 2-3 weeks ago because in his recruiting brilliance, Beaty forgot to recruit any O-Line players.

We opened at +10.5 against Nicholls, right where I thought we would be.  We were last place against the spread in 2017 and I think we were bottom 5 against the spread in 2016.  Take the points and if you are feeling randy I would bet on Nicholls for an outright win.

How does a coach forget to recruit O-line players?

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

How does a coach forget to recruit O-line players?

Well, we are talking about a guy that willingly signed up as his occupation to work at the University of Kansas, on the football team, as the head coach... That says enough...

On 7/24/2018 at 5:30 AM, Jhawk said:

Here are my thoughts:

0-1 - Fired immediately

I hope they let him coach the entire season, or late into the season, so he completely owns the stinky turd he created. The only way I'd prefer to see him fired early in the year is if they want to evaluate certain coaches on the current staff with more responsibility for a few games. But in the end, I'll trust Long to fire him when he deems it best for the program going forward.

I think AD Long will get this turned around and make us competitive again. I can't wait for this season to be over to see who he can convince to take the job. I have a feeling we will pay really well (4M+), so somebody solid should bite.