Kansas is Hopeless...

Jhawk

You fucks laugh at Mangino, all you want.  Laugh at him like you would that beached whale Fat Madden.  

Except Mangino did something.  He took Kansas, that's Kansas, to the Orange Bowl and fucking won it.   Kansas went to the Orange Bowl and beat the God Almighty Beamer and Va Tech.   That has and never will completely sink in.

Mangino does and always will deserve a statue for this one achievement.  And it's borderline bind moggling.  To this day, 10 year later.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

You fucks laugh at Mangino, all you want.  Laugh at him like you would that beached whale Fat Madden.  

Except Mangino did something.  He took Kansas, that's Kansas, to the Orange Bowl and fucking won it.   Kansas went to the Orange Bowl and beat the God Almighty Beamer and Va Tech.   That has and never will completely sink in.

Mangino does and always will deserve a statue for this one achievement.  And it's borderline bind moggling.  To this day, 10 year later.

This.

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Didn't he make players crawl on the turf on hot days until they had burns on their skin?  

9 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

That hot seat just became even hotter for David Beaty. How many more games til he's fired? @Jhawk @Jhawkmvp y'all know?

Probably he will get the rest of the OOC and first B12 game as Jhawk said. If he is 0-4 he should be fired, then again I thought he should have been canned after last season was nearly as bad as his 0-12 first year. I figured if we lost this game there is a really good chance we go 0-12 again. I had no expectations the first 2 seasons as we were in a scholarship hole and he was a reach as a head man, seemed like a nice guy, and would need some time to grow into the job. Last year we should have taken a step forward and it was a terrible. Nothing looked like it should on a team that is bad, but improving. This year will be as bad as last year, and maybe worse than the 0-12 first year. 

We should have kept Mangino and sent him to anger counseling like most schools would have done with a successful coach and closely monitored his behavior after; however, Mangino was supposedly a giant asshole to nearly everyone in the AD. When you are an asshole you get no breaks. Nobody wants to do you any favors.  Our AD at the time hated Mangino, so he used the issue to get rid of him. Things have thawed between KU and Mangino lately. The people who got rid of him are all gone now. I doubt they would rehire him as HC, but, I'd love to bring him on as a consultant to the next coach. He knows how to do well at KU.

Edited by Jhawkmvp

You never want to lose. I wish we would go 6-6 this year. The relief in this is that we clearly aren’t going to go 4-8 or 5-7 making the future unclear and dragging it all out. Beaty’s fate was sealed last night. The only question is when does his door close? Now Jeff long needs to consider the roster, recruiting, and coaches available. He will then make his move. 

I see two scenarios:

1. Our next coach is currently employed (at least at the college level). In this scenario we wait as long as possible to fire Beaty but still make the first or second firing of the season. We want it to at least look like Beaty had 4 years even if he was DOA in game one of year 4. Waiting only makes us look better to current coaches. 

2. Our coach isn’t employed. In this scenario long probably secures his target as soon as possible and then makes his move early in the season. Names a new coach within 2 weeks to make sure it doesn’t look like he went around Beaty. 

Either way, we’re 4 years away. We do have things working for us with the decline of KSU and tech, we are really in a race with Baylor to get to the 6-7 spot in the big12. Iowa state could take a step back as well if they lose Campbell. The 6-7 spot in the big 12 should be a 6-7 win team given a 3-0 start each year. The time to move up was 6 years ago but since we can’t change the past we are lucky to see teams slipping and down right now. That can only help our rebuild from complete bankruptcy. 

Edited by Jhawk

On 9/1/2018 at 9:57 PM, Wally Pryor said:

for all the knob slobbing Mike Leach gets for his time at Tech he never  won a tier 1 bowl game like the Fat Man did...Leach's best season ended up as an ass kicking by Ole Miss in the cotton bowl ...the fat man took home the Orange Bowl Trophy ...

Yesterday Afternoon our New AD Jeff Long thought it was important to give a vote of confidence to the team and said that the evaluation of the program is ongoing. He didn’t mention the coach’s name at all. We go to central Michigan this weekend and are 6.5 point dogs. I think if we come home from that game a loser then the trigger gets pulled so the interim has a friendly crowd for their first game. I can’t see Beaty lasting past a 0-3 start at worst. 

3 hours ago, Extra Anejo said:

If I'm KU, I would accept the fact that becoming a respectable P5 football program just might be unattainable without doing the nasty and dialing 1-800-Art-Briles or something equivalent.

The thing is, we can't accept that.  Maybe if this was the big8 still we could be we can't with the current money situation.  We had a law professor write an OpEd about shutting football down and going to a basketball only conference or getting Rice in the big12 to replace us.  This would guarantee that our basketball product suffers tremendously.  You can't have one without the other.  

I'd be willing to do some pretty shady stuff at this point if it got us to 9-10 wins a season like briles did.  I would be willing to schedule like bill snyder to get to 5.  The answer for us is to find someone who is either a coach looking to completely rebuild their reputaiton (richrod/schiano), find a triple option guy, or find a coach that has 5 years left on the clock and who is unemployed (miles/nutt).

We are still 4-5 years away from a 5-6 win season.  We can get there but accepting that we can't be bowl eligible ever again means we should accept that we will be in the big east or missouri valley.  If we are going to accept that then we should just make the move right now.

On 9/3/2018 at 11:01 AM, Homercles said:

Jokes on them, Nichols isn’t even a real state. You’d think someone woulda caught that.

Better cancel that game next week to Rutgers, how will that look for the XII to lose a football game to the state of New Jersey...

On 9/5/2018 at 7:17 PM, mulletpelini said:

Todd Reesing, Jake Sharp, Kerry Meier and Aqib Talib had a lot to do with the success of those teams as well

The starting corners on the Orange Bowl team were Aqib Talib and Chris Harris. The fact that there were somehow two premium NFL corners in Lawrence at the same time still blows my mind.

8 hours ago, Hizzaz Mahdoud said:

Tell me, Jhawk - after our struggle just to hang on to a win against Tulsa...

is there truly no hope in Kansas?

I’m damn happy we got a win. Damn happy for the players and the fans. It doesn’t change anything I feel about the coaches as no coach in America would have a job at 4-34. 

The only hope is in the next regime. Same goes for UT it seems. 

Just to show a side by side look at both the Jayhawks & Owls:
And as pertaining to primarily football, if Rice isn't good enough for the XII, why would Kansas be good enough for the B1G in football..?
BUKtsUzCEAABnYP.jpg

If one looks, the metrics between Rice & Kansas are almost identicle on stadium size, & capacity in the largest revenue sport of collegiate football...
The difference is the earned revenues from the XII media distributions,and fact of the Jayhawks arena in Allen Fieldhouse is nearly 3x the size of the Tudor Fieldhouse, home of the Owls...
But, as when the "talking points" are shifted to academics, Rice blows Kansas away in the latest US News & World Reports Rankings of national universities by at least 113 slots hire in ratings...

KANSAS:
National University Ranking
#129 in National Universities (tie)
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS
Founded in 1865, University of Kansas is a public institution. The school has 47.3 percent of its classes with fewer than 20 students, and the student-faculty ratio at University of Kansas is 17:1. more
$27,358 (out-of-state), $11,148 (in-state) Tuition and Fees 19,338 Undergraduate Enrollment

NCAA FINANCES:
Rank/#36 School/Kansas Conference/XII Revenue/$95,251,461 Expenses/$94,709,233

FOOTBALL STADIUM CAPACITY:
Name/David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium Capacity/50,071 Attendance/26,641 Location/Lawrence Team/Kansas Jayhawks

NCAA DIVISION 1 COLLEGE BASKETBALL CAPACITY:
Name/Allen Fieldhouse Capacity/16,300 Attendance/16,395 Location/Lawrence Team/Kansas Jayhawks

NEAREST MAJOR CITY BY POPULATION - Kansas City/40.3 miles

TOTAL POPULATION OF STATE OF KANSAS: #35 (Nationally) - 2,913,123
TOTAL POPULATION OF CITY OF KANSAS CITY: #30 (NationallY) Kansas City, MO-KS MSA 2,128,912

SUNDAY, MAY 20, 2018
Should KU be worried about getting dumped from a Power 5 Conference? The financial stakes are huge
By Chad Lawhorn

But due to its struggles on the football field, KU certainly isn’t in the top tier of schools in the Power 5 conferences. When you are in the bottom tier, there are seemingly endless questions hanging in the air: Will there be conference reorganization? Will the Power 5 consolidate into the Power 4? Would we make the cut in a new world order?
...The Journal-World looked at the finances of two mid-major schools in an effort to see how different the world might be if Kansas ever fell out of a Power 5 conference. ...In 2016, UConn received $26.9 million in direct subsides — such as dollars from the university’s general fund — to support athletics. ...Like KU, the University of Connecticut strives to be a national power in men’s basketball, having won four national championships since 1999. But despite its location in one of the richest states in America — and having arguably the most successful women’s basketball program in history — the University of Connecticut’s finances look nothing like KU’s.
...Ohio University competes in the Mid-America Conference, a classic home for “mid-major” schools.
...Ohio is a statewide research university that actually has several thousand more students that KU. ...But because it is not a part of a Power 5 conference, its athletic budget isn’t even in the same universe, let alone the same league, as KU’s.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
RICE:
National University Ranking
#16 in National Universities
Rice University
Houston, TX
Rice University is located in the heart of the Museum District in Houston, TX. The private institution has a need-blind admissions policy and meets the full demonstrated need of any accepted student who requires help paying tuition. more
$47,350 Tuition and Fees 4,001 Undergraduate Enrollment

NCAA FINANCES:
Rank/(Private) School/Rice Conference/CUSA Revenue/$12,001,178 Expenses/$12,001,178

FOOTBALL STADIUM CAPACITY:
Name/Rice Stadium Capacity/47,000 Attendance/19,354 Location/Houston Team/Rice Owls

NCAA DIVISION 1 COLLEGE BASKETBALL CAPACITY:
Name/Tudor Fieldhouse Capacity/5,750 Attendance/2,101 Location/Houston Team/Rice Owls

NEAREST MAJOR CITY BY POPULATION - Houston/0 miles

TOTAL POPULATION OF STATE OF TEXAS: #2 (Nationally) - 28,304,596
TOTAL POPULATION OF CITY OF HOUSTON: #5 (Nationally) Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX MSA 6,892,427

Athletic Director discusses state of Rice sports
Andrew Grottkau | October 18, 2017

Karlgaard has been Rice’s athletic director since fall 2013. Since he was hired, the Owls have won conference championships in nine different sports. He has overseen the construction of the Brian Patterson Sports Performance Center, the new stands at the Wendel D. Ley Track and new team space at Tudor Fieldhouse. ...Four years into his tenure, those goals have not changed. But Rice, according to Karlgaard, is in a peculiar position in the landscape of college athletics: It is the only school ranked in the US News and World Report top 20 that has FBS football and is not in a Power 5 conference (other than the University of Notre Dame, which chooses to remain without a conference affiliation). Until 1996, Rice competed in the Southwest Conference against schools like the University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M University and Baylor University.
...Last year, the Big 12, one of the Power 5 conferences in Division I, revealed it was hoping to expand. The league opened up an application process to any school wishing to join. Rice made a bid to join the conference and made the list of 11 final candidates. ...“I think we learned that we are still very much a valued brand in the world of FBS athletics,” Karlgaard said. “People like being associated with us. They’d like being associated with us a bit more if we were consistently successful, particularly in football and men’s basketball, which captures so much of the value from a television perspective.”

Among the reasons Karlgaard said schools want to be associated with Rice were the facts that it has never committed a major NCAA violation and graduates student-athletes in a variety of majors. ...“It’s about an alignment with institutions that are more like Rice. I love my fellow athletics directors and the presidents of Conference USA, but we are the only private institution, we are the only institution in the top 100 of US News, we’re the only [American Association of Universities] school. We’re just unlike many of the others in so many ways.

If it were to find a way into a Power 5 conference, Rice athletics would instantly gain national brand recognition."

By the way, if per chance, Oklahoma looked to join the B1G with Missouri instead of Kansas, the average attendance would register at: 61,576 vs 58,470 in a B1G west division with the Jayhawks, still below a PAC south division...
If looking back to the days of the Big8 & SWC in let's say 1985, Oklahoma had just won the national title in the Big8, with Texas A&M also in the top 10... At the time both conferences were as safe as any other, until the metric of schools controlling their own media rights came into play...
Then it was just as possible for Iowa State or Kansas State to be dropped from the power conference status as either TCU or Rice *note the Horned Frogs success since entering the P5 in 2012, after nearly 2 decades in the wilderness...
So, the point is, if someone thinks Kansas shuld be safe, with Oklahoma "propping up" Kansas in a weaker B1G west vs PAC south, it shows value in adding Rice as well, as the networks would pay for the move, as long as Oklahoma & Texas are involved in the league...