Raleigh and the Triangle

texifornia

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I'll be joining you, or at least moving to the area. Will be working a ways out of town (to the north and a bit east of Raleigh), we're starting a family and ready to do that whole thing so definitely looking more in the suburby areas. I think Wake Forest is likely the leader in the club house at the moment, though I'm curious if any of the other areas more on the north side of either Raleigh or Durham we should be paying more attention to.

You may have read my comment further up the thread, but I spent a few days in Wake Forest for a client trip, and fell in love with the town.  I’m not sure I’d want to live there in my 20s, but as a guy in my 30s or 40s with a family, I think it would be a great place to live, and you’re really not that far from Raleigh and Durham. Best of luck to you.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah we spent a few days in Raleigh in June, driving around and looking at areas. The wife is still trying to nudge Fuquay Varina (because that's where she sees the stuff that excites her on Redfin for amount of house:price) but that would be an hour drive from my new office. Wake Forest seemed like a really nice mix of old central town vibe, a little bit of actual character (compared to Fuquay Varina or whatever other burb), and of course burb amenities with grey burb houses with tile backsplashes and all the Joanna Gaines shit or whatever.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah we spent a few days in Raleigh in June, driving around and looking at areas. The wife is still trying to nudge Fuquay Varina (because that's where she sees the stuff that excites her on Redfin for amount of house:price) but that would be an hour drive from my new office. Wake Forest seemed like a really nice mix of old central town vibe, a little bit of actual character (compared to Fuquay Varina or whatever other burb), and of course burb amenities with grey burb houses with tile backsplashes and all the Joanna Gaines shit or whatever.

When I lived in Raleigh back in 1992-1994, Fuquay Varina was waaay out in the sticks, probably like how people viewed Pflugerville in the 1980s.  I'm bet it's more like Pflugerville today (except with nicer terrain).

Driving through "fuck you verona" it absolutely felt like just... growing metro new burbs. I don't know what new build neighborhoods look like in Buda but it seemed like on the nicer side of what I bet that looks like (although maybe being surrounded by tall green trees just gives it the shade of "nicer", as you mention). I felt like there was a good chance I'd dislike my neighbors in either Wake Forest of FV, but higher probability I'd hate them in FV based on gut feelings. But that's not particularly important.

It's a weird time to be relocating. I honestly have no idea how important my commute (to the sticks, way out in the sticks) will be to my quality of life. And even if it is important... we stayed at the Sheraton downtown and it seemed not hard to get out to FV (although maybe I'm blending that with Holly Springs), or to get anywhere we were trying to get to, but also it's fucking covid times and it's impossible to tell how much it was easy just due to lack of traffic.

I think we'll end up in Wake Forest. I am interested, if anyone with more local knowledge can chime in, if there are any areas I might be overlooking that are more on the north edge of the area that I should be looking at.

• 3 years later...