Trump recants; guapo rants (legalizing marijuana)

bernorange

Another shitty thread title, but at least it rhymes!

On the first great-weather day of Spring 2018, President Donald Trump has committed to withdrawing federal objections to the legalization of marijuana, reports Tom Angell of Marijuana Moment.

President Trump is preparing to support far-reaching legislation to reform federal marijuana prohibition so that states can enact their own cannabis laws without interference.

"Since the campaign, President Trump has consistently supported states' rights to decide for themselves how best to approach marijuana," U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner (D-CO) said in a statement. "Late Wednesday, I received a commitment from the President that the Department of Justice's rescission of the Cole memo will not impact Colorado's legal marijuana industry. Furthermore, President Trump has assured me that he will support a federalism-based legislative solution to fix this states' rights issue once and for all."

https://reason.com/blog/2018/04/13/trump-announces-unprecedented-support-fo

Legalizing marijuana would not necessarily end the war on drugs, but it would go a long way towards mitigating some of the damage it causes society.

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Goddammit.   I don't want to like Trump for something.  But I will give him due credit if he does this. 

That said, the next guy in the room with Trump probably convinced him to increase penalties for pot possession. 

This.

Though the fact that Sessions is such a proponent  of incarcerating black/brown people for marijuana might be just what leads Trump to decriminalize it.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.

Though the fact that Sessions is such a proponent  of incarcerating black/brown people for marijuana might be just what leads Trump to decriminalize it.

All of this.

Considering it's coming out of the Trump WH it's anyone's guess what happens but it would be a good way for Trump to piss off Sessions.

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Lolz at Trump "committing" to anything.  He'll change his mind tomorrow.  Then back on Saturday.  Depending on what the last person he spoke with said.

True true.  But it is a great demonstration that, politically, DJT doesn't stand for anything other than DJT.

19 minutes ago, Xian said:

I don’t know why he hasn’t done it sooner. 

From a purely political standpoint it seems doing something that the younger generation is screaming for will only help him.  

This is definitely one way to get Antifa back on your side

The only problem with legalization at this point is that the government would be involved.  The government can't make money sending the fucking mail across town/country when there is perfectly legitimate free market competitors that can't lose a dime in the same space.  Once the government puts its regulations and regulating bodies in place they will lose money on something they only shuffle paperwork on as well.  Fuck.. California already showed them the path to making it a disaster.

5 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Lolz at Trump "committing" to anything.  He'll change his mind tomorrow.  Then back on Saturday.  Depending on what the last person he spoke with said.

This.  Trump’s shtick is obvious and manipulative AF

JUST ASK THE DREAMERS

Which he “loves”

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

The only problem with legalization at this point is that the government would be involved.  The government can't make money sending the fucking mail across town/country when there is perfectly legitimate free market competitors that can't lose a dime in the same space.  Once the government puts its regulations and regulating bodies in place they will lose money on something they only shuffle paperwork on as well.  Fuck.. California already showed them the path to making it a disaster.

I doubt the government could make money off of pussy and whiskey.

• Like 1

The first gathering of rural Sheriffs from economically depressed counties that explain to him that this is literally the last thread of their financial existence will change his mind.  And once they show him the data that DWI's drop where marijuana is legal they'll seal the deal.  Domestic violence calls won't subsidize their presence.  Settling drunken fights between Tammy and Dwayne doesn't pay the bills.

• Like 1

Senate fast-tracks bill legalizing hemp as agriculture product

The bill, known as the Hemp Farming Act of 2018, would legalize hemp, removing it from the federal list of controlled substances and allowing it to be sold as an agricultural commodity. 

"By legalizing hemp and empowering states to conduct their own oversight plans, we can give the hemp industry the tools necessary to create jobs and new opportunities for farmers and manufacturers around the county," McConnell said in a statement last week introducing the bill. 

In addition to McConnell, Sens. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) are supporting the legislation

The bill would allow states to regulate hemp, as well as allow hemp researchers to apply for grants from the Agriculture Department and make hemp farmers eligible for crop insurance, according to McConnell's office. 

McConnell indicated late last month that he planned to introduce the bill. 

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/383459-senate-fast-tracks-bill-legalizing-hemp-as-agriculture-product

Yeah, I don't think so. Full on legalization won't fly with the base. Someone will change his mind before sundown. 
Take away the seizure of property and that's going to effect a lot of sheriff's bottom line. 

I disagree. There are a lotta dope smoking good ol boys. Call them the Willie Nelson Contingent.

He is getting the feds out of it and leaving it up to the states. My problem is Georgia, will be one of the last states to legalize. Florida is properly pretty close, so you can just drive there.  NC is probably is pretty close. As is Louisiana, Don't see Alabama, Ms having it. Don't know about Texas. Arky probably pretty close.

Edited by Dolemite

I disagree. There are a lotta dope smoking good ol boys. Call them the Willie Nelson Contingent.
Not disputing this fact. Lots of them. Some of them might even wear badges, and some of them might even think it's a good idea, but they are not usually the ones with pull.
I want to be totally wrong

I do remember the good ol' days of going to the rodeo and county fair as a young'un, seeing bearded cowboys with giant roach-clip feather things attached to their cowboy hats.

11 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Goddammit.   I don't want to like Trump for something.  But I will give him due credit if he does this. 

That said, the next guy in the room with Trump probably convinced him to increase penalties for pot possession. 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

He is getting the feds out of it and leaving it up to the states. My problem is Georgia, will be one of the last states to legalize. Florida is properly pretty close, so you can just drive there.  NC is probably is pretty close. As is Louisiana, Don't see Alabama, Ms having it. Don't know about Texas. Arky probably pretty close.

It’s already decriminalized in Atlanta, and Georgia won’t let tax revenue walk across the state line for long.

15 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

God dammit. Schumer is the wrong guy to be pushing this. Now Trump and the Rs will oppose it just because Chucky wants it.

Mark my words this is bad for the movement.

This is the signal that legalization is now a mainstream political idea. Schumer wouldn't push this if there wasn't widespread support for it. Hell, John Boehner is a member of a marijuana investment firm and Orin Hatch has been advocating the medicinal use since last year.

The movement is in the process of looking for a parking space because the journey is just about complete.

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The MJ industry must finally have some lobbyists with decent expense accounts.

The "for-profit" prison lobbyists better get their shit together or they are gonna have some pissed off  employers. 

And fuck Schumer and any other politician that is just now figuring out the devastating social consequences of our war on weed. He knew those stats for years and didn't do shit. The only thing that has changed is that he doesn't feel it will hinder his re-election chances.....may even help his chance. Spineless pussy like the rest of them.

• Like 3

This is the signal that legalization is now a mainstream political idea. Schumer wouldn't push this if there wasn't widespread support for it. Hell, John Boehner is a member of a marijuana investment firm and Orin Hatch has been advocating the medicinal use since last year.
The movement is in the process of looking for a parking space because the journey is just about complete.

I wanna be wrong. I do.

• 2 weeks later...

It's no secret that Sessions dislikes the marijuana industry -- which is why his commentary before the Senate Appropriations Commerce, Justice and Science Appropriations Subcommittee this past week is so incredible. While being questioned, Sessions said -- and I hope you're sitting down for this -- "there may well be some benefits from medical marijuana."

According to online publication Marijuana Moment, Sessions also intimated that additional federal grow facilities would become a reality for the purpose of cannabis research. "We are moving forward and we will add fairly soon, I believe, the paperwork and reviews will be completed and we will add additional suppliers of marijuana under the controlled circumstances," said Sessions.

Expanding clinical research is particularly important given that the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency enacted new guidelines in 2016 allowing for broader medical research. Despite receiving more than two dozen federal grow applications for clinical purposes, the Justice Department hasn't yet OK'd a single one.

More: https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/04/29/youll-never-guess-what-jeff-sessions-just-said-abo.aspx