SWA seems to be having a rough go of it lately

Anastasis

6 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

One death. 

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

Meh. I was referring to the MSY diversion. It's not like she got totally sucked out.

but now she's dead. i get that you do this for a living but everytime something negative is posted about an airline, you seem to get hyper defensive. this is a pretty serious happening.

Edited by hayden_horn

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

but now she's dead. i get that you do this for a living but everytime something negative is posted about an airline, you seem to get hyper defensive. this is a pretty serious happening.

According to barstool sports passenger that had the window incident might not be the casualty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Fear said:

Maybe? I saw something on twitter that a father said his daughter was the one partially sucked out.  Maybe she was small.

A man relaying information from his daughter-in-law, a passenger on the plane, told NBC Philadelphia that when the window imploded, a female passenger was partially sucked out of the plane, and other passengers needed to pull her back in.

Marty Martinez was sitting two rows behind the window that was blasted out on the Southwest flight. She said an older woman was sitting in the window seat next to it, and parts of her body were "sucked" toward the hole.

"She wasn't like sucked out of the window or pulled out. But her like arms and her body were sucked, like sucked in that direction, from my vantage point. So you see people, from the back of the seat, holding onto her, you know, trying to keep her contained," Martinez told CNN.

Meanwhile, other passengers were trying to patch the hole in the plane.

"People in the other rows are — just trying to plug the hole, which sounds ridiculous, because you know people are using jackets and things, and it's just being sucked right out," she told CNN.

nightmare fuel

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/southwest-flight-emergency/index.html

4 minutes ago, drt said:

So what are the chances this plane had work done in El Salvador?

That was my first thought. Was the work done across the border? The mechanics union was running commercials a few weeks ago about SWA planning to farm out maintenance.

2 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Even war movies don't always use this term with precision. I would just expect anytime a media person says "casualty" they mean "death."

Southwest flight lands in Philadelphia after engine blows apart; one dead

thats the headline of both ABCNews and USA Today

pretty sure that locks down the debate

Edited by AUS-97HORN

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Casualty does not always mean death

NTSB official: One dead in Southwest jet engine failure

NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt speaking at a media briefing said one passenger has died in the incident involving Southwest flight 1380.

He did not provide further details.

9 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

So what is the recourse here?  If this was a bird hitting the engine I have to think there is none?  If the engine wasn't maintained then free flights for life for 140 people and some money for the dead one?

The recourse is my ass will wear his seatbelt on the damn plane even when the seatbelt sign is off and aisle seat gang forever

5 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

So what is the recourse here?  If this was a bird hitting the engine I have to think there is none?  If the engine wasn't maintained then free flights for life for 140 people and some money for the dead one?

I knew someone on that Aloha flight that lost its roof back in the late 80's.  All the survivors who opted for the settlement got something like $280k.  I think a couple of the injured got more.  While not as severe, I would imagine similar settlements on this one.  Whatever $280k back then is worth now.

2 minutes ago, Chuychanga said:

Female captain. And from all accounts she did a great job. 

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/tammie-jo-shults-pilot-southwest-flight-1380-engine-hero/

yeah, it would seem to me that with an engine exploded and the integrity of the plane compromised, managing a landing with just the one casualty is a great possible outcome.

27 minutes ago, RPM said:

That was my first thought. Was the work done across the border? The mechanics union was running commercials a few weeks ago about SWA planning to farm out maintenance.

Ah yes, the old racist / isolationist / union argument that no one in Chi-Na or Latin America can do work as well as the good old USA. They probably can't even read English good!

Hint....this is the safest era in aviation history and a great deal of maintenance has been done abroad in those locations over the past 10+ years.

I apologize. I thought the reports of a pax sucked out a window was social media hysteria because that doesn't happen. Until it does I guess. An uncontained rotor burst coming through the window and cabin is power ball winning or being struck by lightning 50 times in 50 days type stuff. But please don't say I'm defensive in defending an airline. They all suck. I just want facts in these situations not conjecture.

26 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Incident occurred around 32,000 ft. I don't think there is a bird in North America that can fly that high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_by_flight_heights

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA1380/history/20180417/1430Z/KLGA/KDAL

Theoretically, there are North American species that can fly that high, but it's never been observed and would be very unlikely. The 33,000 foot observed height for cranes was to avoid eagle predation in the Himalaya Mountains. Nothing like that in this area of the country to cause that extreme type of behavior. 

I hit a bird in a P-3 at 21,000 feet over the Med.  Hit the center windscreen.

I also hit a bird at night that put about a 12 inch gash in the leading edge of our right wing.  Did know that until we landed.  The lineman had a weird look on his face as he parked us.  Knew something was wrong.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I always leave my seatbelt on when I'm in the seat.  Been on too many turbulent flights.

Same here.

I fucking hate turbulence, but as much as people get hyperbolic about it, it's generally going to be harmless unless you aren't buckled in.

21 minutes ago, Pods said:

Theoretically, there are North American species that can fly that high, but it's never been observed and would be very unlikely. The 33,000 foot observed height for cranes was to avoid eagle predation in the Himalaya Mountains. Nothing like that in this area of the country to cause that extreme type of behavior. 

DpQ9YJl.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What portions of the transcript have her talking?  I didn't listen to the whole 30 mins posted.

the heavy link above has an 8 minute snip, with a lot of her talking.  she's really calm.  "yeah we have part of the aircraft missing so we're going to need to slow down a bit" as calmly as someone saying "that's a nice looking cloud."

2 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Favorite pic from it all.  

image.png

Blah Blah Blah over nose and mouth blah blah blah... STUPID FUCKING SOONERS INCLUDED.

This pic makes me just hate people even more than I already do.

These morons are probably allowed to drive on our very same streets and also, even more scary, are allowed to procreate.   

Edited by Uncle Nate