Running thread of the disaster that is the new school year

Superhero

Fucking 2020.  It's never going to stop.

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/manor-isd-alerts-families-of-rabid-bat-found-outside-elementary-school/

Manor Independent School District leaders notified families about a rabid bat near Lagos Elementary on Wednesday, and now Manor Police are trying to contact those families of 15 kindergarten students seen near it or playing with it.

Manor Police said there’s video from the district of the students around the rabid bat at 9 a.m. Monday.

Families of students who encountered the animal were alerted and referred to a physician, Manor ISD said. The campus will be screened and inspected by trained personnel to look for any more bats or pests and will notify families if they are found.

Manor had to shut down another campus and it doesn't make sense

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/manor-isd-shuts-down-another-campus-after-positive-covid-19-case/

An elementary school in the Manor Independent School District is going to all virtual learning until the end of November after a staff member tested positive for COVID-19, the district announced Wednesday night.

Students at Bluebonnet Trail Elementary won’t go back to campus until Nov. 30, after the district’s Thanksgiving break, due to the positive case. Another school in the district, Presidential Meadows Elementary, also had a staff member test positive for COVID-19, but only some of the students will stay home and do virtual learning, the district said.

The district said it’s safe for the students who aren’t identified as having close contact with the COVID-19 positive staff member to return to campus at Presidential Meadows. The district said they will sanitize the areas affected there and the those students will be welcomed back Nov. 30.

At Bluebonnet Trail Elementary, they shut the entire campus down to sanitize it, the district said.

So some schools get shut down over one positive, others don't.  Makes no sense.  AISD is doing it right, keeping kids/staff that were directly exposed home, letting everybody else go to school.

5 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

It depends on who the staff member was. If it was a 3rd grade teacher that only interacted with her class, then I understand isolating that class and keeping the school going. If it was a music teacher who sees all the kids, then it might make sense to shut down the school.

That does make sense, but they've had a lot of school closures.

I'm just hoping Austin starts getting their cases/hospitalizations back down, really don't want my kids at home - one had to be home earlier this week (really bad allergies thankfully), and holy shit, I had quickly forgotten how much of a pain it was running them through Zoom sessions and getting their homework turned in.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Welp #2 spiked a fever last night, sore throat.  Woke up fine, but looks like he gets to do the brain swab boogaloo this morning. We're holding #1 and #3 out of school until we get the results back. 

Got a rapid test at 9:30.

tenor.gif

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidis said:

eh...no shortage of anecdotes with rapid test results being wrong and i personally know two of them.  just fyi.  i wouldn't go hugging on and making out with strangers just yet.

Oh yeah. I hear you. In hindsight We should have asked them to do both at same time. Might ask them to also do a confirmatory PCR.  But he isn’t really a strong candidate based on symptoms or risk factors. 

Edited by Anastasis

8 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

Oh, and my kids are visibly depressed by it.  One freshman started crying.  

My son's mono infection, from a year ago, has flared up and has him exhausted again.  So he was miserable and exhausted at in-person school, and will now be back in online school for however long.  Last night, he resignedly said "so, I'm not going to get any sort of normal high school experience -- I went from being sick, to COVID, back to sick DURING COVID."  No, buddy, you won't.  And it is what it is...but that sucks and I hear you.

He's depressed.  Which makes me depressed as shit.  Double whammy for him, just sucks.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Brisket. 

@Anastasis our 7 year old had what you described about a month ago.  Middle of the night wake up, feeling bad, mild fever, etc.  Woke up feeling fine but we kept him home just for good measure.  They told us to get him back in school we needed a negative PCR,  or a doctor note that it was something else entirely or wait 14 days.  We had him do a PCR test that morning but were resigned to him being home for 2-3 days while the results came back.  As a  shortcut I went and did a rapid test on myself thinking there's no way he'd be positive if I was negative (no symptoms at all for me).  Of course my rapid was positive.  Shocked, I called my wife to tell her to go do a rapid test.  She did and was also positive (again no symptoms).   We both do PCR tests that also both came back positive.  Meanwhile the 7 year old's PCR test comes back negative.  14 days later as we are prepping him to go back to school my wife is talking to the nurse for the 3rd party that is managing the school's Covid response and the nurse says, "most likely your 2nd grader gave it to both of you, we see family after family where mom/dad/older siblings test positive but the 12 and under kids never test positive after having maybe a night of waking up feeling sick or a bad afternoon and are better the next morning." 

Moral of the story you and your wife should definitely get checked.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My son's mono infection, from a year ago, has flared up and has him exhausted again.  So he was miserable and exhausted at in-person school, and will now be back in online school for however long.  Last night, he resignedly said "so, I'm not going to get any sort of normal high school experience -- I went from being sick, to COVID, back to sick DURING COVID."  No, buddy, you won't.  And it is what it is...but that sucks and I hear you.

He's depressed.  Which makes me depressed as shit.  Double whammy for him, just sucks.

Sucks and I'm sorry to hear it.

My 5th grader and 7th grader are both finally back in-person and the change in demeanor is remarkable.  They're both so much happier, completely engaged in their schoolwork, appreciative of the effort of their teachers.  Unsolicited, each of them have written personal thank-you letters to their teachers.  It's definitely not my doing, I'm terrible at that shit.  

Kids need school.  And people need people.  This is the way.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

utee- I’ve had the same experience. Students reaching out saying how appreciative they are and happy to be back in school. Got a few emails and even a few handwritten notes.

Two students I taught for their freshman and sophomore year came by today. I don’t teach them right now but will next semester. Worried that the spring will be cancelled too and that he and she won’t get to have my class (in person) next semester and I don’t teach seniors.

I'm hearing rumors of several districts in our area (N/E Dallas) possibly going back to virtual after Thanksgiving.

Our school sends out a letter when someone has tested positive.  That's the extent of the info.  We have no idea if it's a teacher or student.  My team then spends the next day making guesses.  Anyway, these letters have become an almost daily occurrence lately, whereas we might have gotten one a week from Sept. to mid-October.

44 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Our school sends out a letter when someone has tested positive.  That's the extent of the info.  We have no idea if it's a teacher or student.  My team then spends the next day making guesses.  Anyway, these letters have become an almost daily occurrence lately, whereas we might have gotten one a week from Sept. to mid-October.

Try being a parent, getting the email, and quizzing your second grader, and you'll get some interesting guesses.....which is pretty much what all of the parents in my kids class were talking about when we were picking up our kids.  AISD doesn't say whether it's staff or student at particular schools, just the overall totals at schools and district-wide.

For those not following the AISD thread, this week, through this morning, 27 new cases (12 students, 15 employees), 188 possible exposures (139 students, 49 staff).  Not a good uptick.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Try being a parent, getting the email, and quizzing your second grader, and you'll get some interesting guesses.....which is pretty much what all of the parents in my kids class were talking about when we were picking up our kids.  AISD doesn't say whether it's staff or student at particular schools, just the overall totals at schools and district-wide.

For those not following the AISD thread, this week, through this morning, 27 new cases (12 students, 15 employees), 188 possible exposures (139 students, 49 staff).  Not a good uptick.

Oh I am.  I'm at one school, wife at another, 3rd grader at another.  We've been getting letters almost every day from 3 different schools.  Wife is quaranteed at the moment. Our 8th grader chose to remain distant so, at least, he's not much of an issue.

Edit: response is to craziness, not a one-up to you.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

Things are tough all over, no doubt.

My 5th grade son did 2 weeks at home since someone in his class at school tested positive.  School couldn't tell us who, obviously, but the kids figured it out pretty quick based on the one kid that didn't show up for class that day or the day before.  So the entire class went home for 14 days.  I had my son tested after we were 6 days past his last potential exposure, and it was negative, so we didn't quarantine the entire family. 

This will continue.  For a while.

Just got the email our district is transitioning to distant learning Nov 30-Jan 4

Actually it doesn’t look like it’s a problem In the school according to the graphs but 120 staff are quarantine for covid reasons and 406 students are(entire 7th grade is DL due to staff shortage).

28 student covid cases and 20 staff cases, district size about 8,000.

Things are tough all over, no doubt.
My 5th grade son did 2 weeks at home since someone in his class at school tested positive.  School couldn't tell us who, obviously, but the kids figured it out pretty quick based on the one kid that didn't show up for class that day or the day before.  So the entire class went home for 14 days.  I had my son tested after we were 6 days past his last potential exposure, and it was negative, so we didn't quarantine the entire family. 
This will continue.  For a while.

My 8th grade daughter was the positive kid last week. School is all kinds of sensitive about privacy. Of course she posted it on her snap chat timeline.
  • Like 1

Manor had to shut down another campus and it doesn't make sense
https://www.kxan.com/news/education/manor-isd-shuts-down-another-campus-after-positive-covid-19-case/
An elementary school in the Manor Independent School District is going to all virtual learning until the end of November after a staff member tested positive for COVID-19, the district announced Wednesday night.
Students at Bluebonnet Trail Elementary won’t go back to campus until Nov. 30, after the district’s Thanksgiving break, due to the positive case. Another school in the district, Presidential Meadows Elementary, also had a staff member test positive for COVID-19, but only some of the students will stay home and do virtual learning, the district said.
The district said it’s safe for the students who aren’t identified as having close contact with the COVID-19 positive staff member to return to campus at Presidential Meadows. The district said they will sanitize the areas affected there and the those students will be welcomed back Nov. 30.
At Bluebonnet Trail Elementary, they shut the entire campus down to sanitize it, the district said.
So some schools get shut down over one positive, others don't.  Makes no sense.  AISD is doing it right, keeping kids/staff that were directly exposed home, letting everybody else go to school.

You're assuming they have any way to actually contact trace. These are school admins and school nurses doing the best they can to monitor kids running around everywhere. They aren't trained to contact trace in any meaningful way, and I don't know that they could regardless of training.

The point being, they may be just trying to figure out what the fuck is going on.

Kids school district just sent an email that says if you travel for Thanksgiving you have to quarantine for 2 weeks when you get home.

I don’t think that’s a bad policy. Seems like they are really trying to keep schools open.

Kind of fucks up my trip to Houston though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hawndoh said:

A long term sub, nice retired guy, who was working for a teacher on maternity leave at my school tested positive 3 days before his sub job was to end. Sucks, and I hope he is fine. Older retired guy that didn't need to be here.

Yeah that sucks, hope he winds up okay.

Wife, who teaches at another school, has been Q'd since last Wed.  Teacher on my grade level team got sick over the wknd.  Other 2 on my team just sent home.  I'm now on my own.  Fine with it because I don't want to go home.  (Unless I have symptoms and a danger to others.)

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I heard from a friend who teaches in a Dallas suburban district who told me that they  (teachers and students) were shown a video last week that instructed all that if they needed to sneeze that they should remove their mask and sneeze into their elbow so that they would not have the sneeze particles all over their mask.  Am I missing something or is that about the most idiotic advice possible you could give a 6-11 year old kid?

f44p-71MeM76flVaTFplGD1AWAFB5suXuBXjagaA

I’m pretty disappointed to see the trend of schools going back to virtual. It’s bad for everyone. 

Westlake has been back for about a month in a half. Cases are growing at the high school.

BUT

Almost every single student case (I’m talking 60+) were spread either at an extracurricular or at a social event. Masks seem to be working during the school day.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Westlake has been back for about a month in a half. Cases are growing at the high school.

BUT

Almost every single student case (I’m talking 60+) were spread either at an extracurricular or at a social event. Masks seem to be working during the school day.

Same with us. Although we still havent had more than a dozen cases.  But let's lock our kids up again and do non-existent virtual "learning".

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

Same with us. Although we still havent had more than a dozen cases.  But let's lock our kids up again and do non-existent virtual "learning".

No kidding.  Kids learn dick all from a laptop.  Kids that were virtual and now back in session are struggling mightily.  School indicated (Frisco ISD) that virtual kids that are failing (which many are) will be required to attend in-face sessions if their grades do not improve.  

Even if the kids do catch, the vector between positive cases and  transmission seems quite low.  One of her friends, 70+ girls from gymnastics tested positive (early on).  ONE had a fever for less than a day.  Zero hospitalizations of the kids or parents.  Most parents didn't even catch it and I can tell you from talking to them, the quarantine was not a complete lock down.  More like being grounded upstairs.  

Anecdotal of course, but similar stories abound.  Conversely you hear of so many kids that are locked down that are miserable and suffering from depression, anxiety, the works.  They are like animals at the zoo.  Boxed up and behind bars in what you like to call a "natural environment"....but really it's just a cage and they know it.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

No kidding.  Kids learn dick all from a laptop.  Kids that were virtual and now back in session are struggling mightily.  School indicated (Frisco ISD) that virtual kids that are failing (which many are) will be required to attend in-face sessions if their grades do not improve.  

Which is why everybody who hasn't had it needs to mask up, wash their hands, and keep their distance, so we can keep our kids in school.

I know more than one parent who freaks out over the thoughts of school going virtual, but bitches incessantly about having to wear a mask when they go shopping.

Austin was, and still relatively is, doing a good job of keeping this shit under control, but if people don't stop fucking around, December is going to really suck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Which is why everybody who hasn't had it needs to mask up, wash their hands, and keep their distance, so we can keep our kids in school.

I know more than one parent who freaks out over the thoughts of school going virtual, but bitches incessantly about having to wear a mask when they go shopping.

Austin was, and still relatively is, doing a good job of keeping this shit under control, but if people don't stop fucking around, December is going to really suck.

Austinites are going to fuck around and find out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Austinites are going to fuck around and find out.

Well, they just closed out the AISD dashboard for last week - November 9th - 15th.

Austin High - 7 new cases, 307 exposures

Austin ISD as a whole - 54 new cases, 741 exposures.

So over 50 AISD students and staff tested positive, and they had to send 741 students/staff to do at-home for two weeks.

So yeah, Austin is fucking around.  And every night we go for our walk, our neighborhood park is packed, and most don't have masks.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:43 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm hearing rumors of several districts in our area (N/E Dallas) possibly going back to virtual after Thanksgiving.

Same here.  We got an email today from the high school saying they had four positives today that were traced back to Friday's football game.  The elementary school started off slow with one case not long after school started up, a lag of two or three weeks, and now at least two a week for the last three weeks. 

The messages from the high school principal have changed in tone from "well we had a case, everything's been cleaned and the close contacts notified and are in quarantine." to "will you fuckers stop doing stupid shit to catch the damn coronavirus?"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The messages from the high school principal have changed in tone from "well we had a case, everything's been cleaned and the close contacts notified and are in quarantine." to "will you fuckers stop doing stupid shit to catch the damn coronavirus?"

You mean like football stupid shit, well that’s on you mr principal.  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, they just closed out the AISD dashboard for last week - November 9th - 15th.

Austin High - 7 new cases, 307 exposures

Austin ISD as a whole - 54 new cases, 741 exposures.

So over 50 AISD students and staff tested positive, and they had to send 741 students/staff to do at-home for two weeks.

So yeah, Austin is fucking around.  And every night we go for our walk, our neighborhood park is packed, and most don't have masks.

Are you really expecting people to wear masks to the park?