Running thread of the disaster that is the new school year

Superhero

23 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Are you really expecting people to wear masks to the park?

When there's 15-20 kids climbing on the same equipment at the same time, bumping into each other, sharing toys, etc, or when there's half a dozen parents talking to each other practically shoulder-to-shoulder as they push their infants/toddlers in the kiddie swings, yeah, actually it would be pretty fucking cool if they were all wearing masks.

Maybe these are all at-home kids and their siblings.  That would be fan-fucking-tastic and I wouldn't give two shits if they wear masks or not, because their fuckups would not drastically impact whether or not my kids are going to school.

But if their kids are in-person in school, and they are skipping masks because it's after school or they are off from work, and you know with the immense heat of the day when it's 70 degrees and all or whatever, and they fuck around and cause my kids to have to stay home for two weeks, I have every fucking reason to bitch.

And if they fuck around too much and create too many cases in the schools, we'll have to close down the school, not just send a class or two home.  

Shit, Austin High has 300+ students and staff who are having to stay home.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Rage+1 1

When there's 15-20 kids climbing on the same equipment at the same time, bumping into each other, sharing toys, etc, or when there's half a dozen parents talking to each other practically shoulder-to-shoulder as they push their infants/toddlers in the kiddie swings, yeah, actually it would be pretty fucking cool if they were all wearing masks.
Maybe these are all at-home kids and their siblings.  That would be fan-fucking-tastic and I wouldn't give two shits if they wear masks or not, because their fuckups would not drastically impact whether or not my kids are going to school.
But if their kids are in-person in school, and they are skipping masks because it's after school or they are off from work, and you know with the immense heat of the day when it's 70 degrees and all or whatever, and they fuck around and cause my kids to have to stay home for two weeks, I have every fucking reason to bitch.
And if they fuck around too much and create too many cases in the schools, we'll have to close down the school, not just send a class or two home.  
Shit, Austin High has 300+ students and staff who are having to stay home.
We share Good Things in class. Would you like to know how many of my in-person 7th graders share that they had a sleep-over at their friend's house or got to hang out with their cousins this past weekend?

It's business as usual for a lot of America.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Abbott authorizes 420M reimbursement for relearning needs.

One of my kid's schools is sending their iPad and school supplies home with them on Friday (iPad had been staying at school), the other has been bringing their iPad home frequently.

It's not that there is a policy or plans to go remote, but a shitload of parents have been asking them about it.  I think it would be wise for many schools/districts to make sure they have what they need on Friday when they go home.

Got a call today that my son was coming home because he has been in contact at school with someone who tested positive.  He can come back with a negative test, no earlier than Friday, or stay at home for 2 weeks.

I think that’s what has to be done to have the best chance at keeping the schools open.

He was like yeah a two week vacation.  I was like be ready to have your brain swabbed.  I suspect that it was somebody on the cross country team because we just got a text that they were going to start their post season recovery workout break early and there weren't going to be any workouts until 12/14.

My three kids go to a K-6th school, about 700 enrollment. They have not shut the doors for one day this semester. When a parent gets it, the classroom is notified and that student doesn't come for 14 days.

We got an update yesterday from the school reminding everyone to err on the side of caution and that there have been 4 positives amongst students (3 were in one class, that entire class was sent home for 14 days), and 1 staff member this semester. Also, this fall, all three of mine played football, soccer and baseball (too much BTW but that's another conversation). I'm sure more than 4 kids have gotten it, but if they have, it hasn't lead to a huge outbreak amongst parents, faculty or older siblings.

I can't imagine not having in person classes and extra curriculars. When they went back in the Fall after the longest Spring Break ever, it was a tough adjustment. And we took at home seriously, but I could tell they weren't were they were supposed to be. I feel very blessed that my kids have not skipped a beat this fall. I can't imagine those who have taken almost a full year off, many of whom haven't taken at home learning as serious.

• Hook 'Em 1

my kids' school has ~1000 students K-12.  Looks like there have been 9 positives so far and they have been open and inperson pretty much all year.  No shut downs, but they did start later in person as some construction was still going on for the school at the start of the year.  As we have not been alerted for any contact tracing, I am assuming none of those have been in our classes.  they set it up to be more of a cohort versus randomly changing classes each period. 

I was actually happy with their e-learning setup last year, but maybe that was more getting to skip the 1:15 round trip for drop off and back to the house.  But the kiddos were not failing or really having the grades drop due to distance learning  they actually showed pretty good discipline as both are ADD and dyslexic.  

That said the daughter is 100% more happy to be in person.  Son is probably 50/50 in talking to him, but i suspect he likes it better, but nothing tends to phaze him too much either way short of xbox live going down.

- Both wife and I are able to work from home no problem and our industries are not impacted that much so far.  so it's easy to shift to in-person or at-home.  I know not everyone can do that and it would have been a nightmare to try and manage if that was not the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

This worries me because this is the generation that's gonna be taking care of my geriatric ass in 30 years. We better have nurse robots by then.

You’re fucked.  Boomer remover up front should have told ya.

I wonder how much long term care will cost when I need it.  My 200 Buck a day policy seemed like a Cadillac when I bought it.

• 5 weeks later...

A kid in my son's K class got Covid. She sits at the other side of the classroom so spread to him was unlikely, but we took him in to get a Covid test. Since then, only one other kid in the school has gotten Covid.

My daughter is in public school, and 2 people have tested positive. But we didn't get any special warning, so we figured it was just a general notice.

Speaking of public school... our school district split up the classes into AM and PM cohorts, with about 8 kids in each time slot. I kinda agree with their decision, but 2.5 hours of in person education is a real pain in the ass. I walk her to school, walk home, take 2 calls, pound out a couple of emails, and I turn around and go get her. Luckily we are within a 5-6 minute walk from school, but I can't imagine having to drive, wait 15 minutes in the car line, and doing it all again in 2 hours.

Overall, California Covid cases are out of control, especially in LA where it's congested, and more inland counties with multi-generational households. Orange County is still okay, but it still flabbergasts me when I take the kids to the park, and see other kids without masks, and their parents standing around in tight little circles without masks on. 

42 minutes ago, Superhero said:

A kid in my son's K class got Covid. She sits at the other side of the classroom so spread to him was unlikely, but we took him in to get a Covid test. Since then, only one other kid in the school has gotten Covid.

My daughter is in public school, and 2 people have tested positive. But we didn't get any special warning, so we figured it was just a general notice.

Speaking of public school... our school district split up the classes into AM and PM cohorts, with about 8 kids in each time slot. I kinda agree with their decision, but 2.5 hours of in person education is a real pain in the ass. I walk her to school, walk home, take 2 calls, pound out a couple of emails, and I turn around and go get her. Luckily we are within a 5-6 minute walk from school, but I can't imagine having to drive, wait 15 minutes in the car line, and doing it all again in 2 hours.

Overall, California Covid cases are out of control, especially in LA where it's congested, and more inland counties with multi-generational households. Orange County is still okay, but it still flabbergasts me when I take the kids to the park, and see other kids without masks, and their parents standing around in tight little circles without masks on. 

It’s better than nothing I suppose even if I would say it’s inadequate. We’ve been in person everyday of the semester here. 

A buddy that lives in Olympia, Washington has 3 kids and their schools have had zero days of in person instruction since March 

• 2 months later...

Parkland Hospital is planning to vaccinate 9,000 Dallas ISD employees.

My kids classes have about 6 kids each in them and the rest of the kids are online. I don't get it. Their school has been shown to be a safe place for everyone. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

since beginning of Sept. we have made it through so far with only 1 'close contact' scare between my 2 kids where a classmate kid starting showing symptoms, stopped going to school and then tested positive a few days later.  4 kids in the class (of 14) were deemed close contacts and had to q-tine for 10 days and do in-home learning.  none of those kids got c-19 nor the teacher.  

The younger one's teacher q-tined herself 2 separate times due to being a close contact to a positive case outside of school and taught from home with another teaching filling in at the classroom.

all in all, not too bad and what they are doing at school seems to work to mitigate spreading any positive cases that showed up to school.  they wear masks the whole time and I think they have partitioned eating areas or ate in the classrooms (or outside during good weather), but not partitioned in the classroom; just spaced out as well as they could.  The class sizes were already kinda small, but i think 85% or so elected to send their kids to in-person classes.  

would the results be different in a classroom crammed with 30 kids?  maybe.  would i personally want to test out that theory, nah.  so i don't automatically condemn teachers for not wanting to be in that environment day in day out.

Our first grader is going back on the 22nd. We've almost sent her back the last two times only to have cases spiking out of control literally the week we had to make the decision both times and it made us second guess ourselves. She's done fine at home, but she's excited to go back. Gets to keep the same teacher too which is one thing we were worried about.

My wife told me today that on some dumb mom group she's in on Facebook that there are actually moms who announced they do not plan to send their children back until their children are vaccinated. So 2023? I'd assume given how stupid they are that they actually think the schools should allow them to stay virtual and have the teacher running virtual lessons for their kid. No, you're homeschool if that's the case because all the staff will be vaccinated. I get it if your kid is immunocompromised or in some other high risk group. I don't if your kid is a normally healthy kid. That's just ignoring the science you don't agree with. 

Edited by mdmost