On the bright side of COVID 19...

CooterBrown

What have been some of the benefits of COVID 19?

A few off the top of my head...

1. Working from home.  Nearly every fucking white collar employer found they could do this successfully regardless of what old school management had said.

2. With all the working from home, traffic in Austin has been fabulous.  I had to run down Mopac to my office to pick up a package. Left my house at 4:30 yesterday and drove 65 the entire way.  Normally, it would've been 20 MPH at best.

3.  With the reduced traffic, all of a sudden all of our roadways have plenty of capacity.  If we can keep up the working from home movement, we could save some serious money on roadway expansion.

4. South Austin's mom is now available at home 24/7.

Any others?

• Hook 'Em 2

Eating healthier.  Those workday "let's go out for something good as a treat" lunches added up.  At home, I'm eating simpler, and healthier.  Also, I'm "home" early enough to make dinner more often, which is also healthier than eating out or getting takeout.  Lost some weight, feeling better. 

Oh, and I'm getting a little more sleep.  Don't have to get up as early because I 1) don't have a commute and 2) don't have to get fully dressed in work clothes.  It's just an extra half hour or so, but hey, it's nice.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

People don’t assume I’m an asshole when I go out of my way to avoid talking to or being near them, which I’ve always done. They have to get to know me first. 

Understood about family, but what about your coworkers?

13 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Spending more time with family without having a million appointments and extracurriculars has been nice.

I’m curious what single people are feeling about it though - I have to believe that this would be the suck for singles.

Anecdotally, I think it's a real challenge for them.  The isolation is the suck.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Anecdotally, I think it's a real challenge for them.  The isolation is the suck.

I'm lucky I have friends in my apartment building, so I do have some social interaction, especially when we walk the dogs at the same time or hang out in the courtyard. 

Once it's over, vets and dog trainers will be the real winners when there's an influx of patients with separation anxiety.

That's already the case according to our trainer.

People either went out and got a dog during lockdown or realized their current pet is an asshole.

A decent parking spot when I go into the office.

Fewer people at the office to catch me browsing Surly.

I help out more around the house. More help for her = more sex for me.

Become closer as a family: equal work stress but less stress rushing to extracurricular activities. We get along better than ever.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

3.  With the reduced traffic, all of a sudden all of our roadways have plenty of capacity.  If we can keep up the working from home movement, we could save some serious money on roadway expansion.

City of Austin:  Hey, fewer people need cars, let's turn those "unused" streets into bike lanes!

18 minutes ago, Hate said:

I've found those lost pounds. 

This

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Mentioned in school thread, family hasn't been sick since April.  With 2 young ones we couldn't go a week without at least one person being sick.  

We've only had a couple of bouts, one of which we think could have been covid (but test came back negative).  We have been pretty healthy for once.  Amazing for a family with a now-second grader and a pre-ker.

10 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Covid helped me convince my wife that we need to buy an RV.

Helped me to convince my wife to consider buying an RV.  It's on the table for serious discussion in the spring.

• Hook 'Em 1

All the businesses/restaurants that have upped their curbside game is a plus, at least for the ones that ultimately make it.  I also don't mind waiting in my car for a table to be ready at a restaurant because I generally hate all people.  

Hey me too! We should hang out! Wait, never mind.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

And gun sales are way up.

Kind of scary when you consider the mental state & financial status of a lot of folks right now. I know SA is currently on pace for a 30 year high in homicides, most places have also seen an uptick. 

Wait is this the good news thread?