2020 Pro Cycling Thread: Spreading Corona with La Caravane du Tour

G650

On 9/25/2020 at 3:23 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Ugh.  Anyone see Chloe Dygert crash in the women's TT yesterday?  Over the rails @ 30 mph.  She was about to win as well.

Men's TT today, women's road tomorrow, men's road Sun.  No youth or U-23 events.

On 9/26/2020 at 4:40 PM, G650 said:

Yeah, it was fucking gnarly. She seems to be in really good spirits though thankfully

Just saw the clip of this, WOW. I also saw the resulting gash in her leg, I hope she is OK. I am posting links instead of embedded tweets for obvious reasons.

The crash:

https://twitter.com/sporza_koers/status/1309136302474956804

Injury If you haven't seen this WARNING, THIS IS VERY GNARLY, consider yourself VERY WARNED before clicking this:

https://twitter.com/SportINTERIA/status/1309158268380610560

15 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Anyone have suggestions for watching the Giro? I think I can access live feed using my VPN and it looks like there is coverage for US and Canada on Flobikes. 

I use a VPN and Eurosport app.

Meanwhile in Fleche Wallone, Hirschi continues his charmed season. And Wim Vansevenant's son has epic day

• Hook 'Em 1

60km/h on a 15 minute is some shit.  I can barely keep 45 for a minute.  But they're going downhill though on TT bike.

Was supposed to meet up with a buddy to watch the Giro in the summer and enjoy the italian sunshine...fucking rona

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

7 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Pretty surprising gaffe for a pro like Alaphilippe. Not only pipped at the line by a hard charging Roglic, he was also relegated in the sprint. Watching that live I couldn’t believe when he sat up. Hope we see see some action on the way up Etna later. 

Lordy that was hilarious. And then gets relegated on top of it.

Meanwhile, Geraint Thomas and utterly inexplicable crashes, name a more iconic duo.

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

Lordy that was hilarious. And then gets relegated on top of it.

Meanwhile, Geraint Thomas and utterly inexplicable crashes, name a more iconic duo.

No kidding. I wasn’t buying his supposed enthusiasm to focus on the Giro after being left off the Tour squad.  Another weird crash knocks him out of contention. 

1 hour ago, Whitewater Horn said:

The Giro is hanging on by a thread. The ‘Rona is running rampant and JV packed it in. Cool to see Sagan win in old Sagan fashion. I was starting to wonder if that guy was ever gonna win another race. 

Yeah, he still has some umph. Basically just rode the breakaway right off his wheel uphill.

19 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

For anyone following today, pretty exciting finish to an otherwise boring Giro with an ITT win deciding the race a la the Tour.  In La Vuelta, a disastrous day for TJV. Roglic falls from rojo to off the podium, and their other GC hope Kuss loses 10 minutes. This race just got much more interesting. 

I was pretty surprised to see Roglic slide, but he may just be cooked at this point.

Fuck that Giro finish. Fuck it in the ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Roglic flexes a bit today. If he hangs through the weekend or gains he will annihilate Carapaz in the TT

No kidding. The way Roglic savagely dropped Carapaz in the last km, then doubled the gap in the last 200m is a sign that he ain’t playing around. Even though he played the good sport when losing the Tour in such humiliating fashion, you have to wonder if he realized his mistake in not attacking Pogacar more often to put time into him and is making an effort to be more aggressive. 

20 hours ago, G650 said:

Sepp Kuss is absurd lol.

20 hours ago, G650 said:

Also, Angliru. Great googly moogly. Mas trying not to wheelie.

Man, I would have loved to have seen Kuss just turn it loose on the Angliru. I wonder how close he is to being a truly special and dominant climber.  My guess is that he is already pretty high on that list and team plans and tactics are the things keeping him from really putting on a show. 

Every time I watch a race with the Angliru it further fortifies my resolve to visit that beast in person. The next time I go to Spain it is a mandatory stop. What an unrelenting monster of a climb. 

Interesting ITT tomorrow with an uphill finish. After that last time trial at the Tour, I expecting Roglic to light this thing up. I don’t think putting more than 13 seconds into Carapaz is out of the question. Pretty damn compelling race so far. 

Edited by Whitewater Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 11 months later...
7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

This is like watching nascar. Tons of spills. Some idiot ineos dude just wiped out a bikeexchange guy. It collected another BE dude who went headfirst into the curb. Saved by the helmet

Luke Rowe. Completely cleaned out Mads Petersen.

I even saw an AG2R car lose it into a ditch lol

• 3 months later...

Since there isn't a 2022 Cycling thread, and I don't want to be the one starting it, I will put this here

Egan Bernal is out for a while after an awful training accident, he hit a bus and suffered some extensive injuries

Bernal is conscious, stable, and able to move his limbs, which is the result of an intensive and risky spinal surgery he had at the Clinica Universidad de La Sabana. Bernal suffered a broken vertebra in addition to unspecified “blunt trauma of the thorax,” though neurosurgeons said they were able to preserve Bernal’s neurological functionality after the surgery. Ineos-Grenadiers also confirmed that Bernal suffered a punctured lung, several fractured ribs, a fractured right femur, and a fractured right patella.

https://defector.com/tour-de-france-champion-egan-bernal-survives-horrific-crash-during-training/

More links to details in the article.

Brandon Rivera crashes, ends up in same hospital as Egan Bernal

image.jpeg.c0724bdb93fa52dbed4ce719fc17e6e7.jpeg

Media reports there say Brandon Rivera, the childhood friend of Egan Bernal who also rides on Ineos Grenadiers, was involved in a crash Thursday.

There are not many details available immediately, but it appears the 25-year-old crashed while on a training ride...

[click for full story]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brandon-rivera-crashes-ends-same-190409813.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...