University of Texas controls decision to play football- T/F?

Wulaw Horn

Putting together everything we heard- it looks like the SEC is dead set on playing- the ACC would rather play than not and then the big 12 was/is on the fence. 
3 questions- 

1) Do you think the ACC plays without the big 12 if it’s just them and the SEC (I sort of think no)

2) does even the SEC have a schedule if it’s just them? Maybe?  But obviously no national championship 

3) Does the big 12 conference do exactly what Texas tells them to?  We all know- yes- of course (and to a lesser extent OU)

So- if I’m reading this right Texas is the driver behind there being a season? And we will probably be the ones who decide if the plug gets pulled before the season starts.

True or false?  Overstated?  Are we really the decider for all of CFB in this?  If you believed we are does that change your opinion on if the big 12 is a good conference for us? 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, you really think the big 12 would be getting ready for a season right now if Texas said no?  

If this is strictly in regard to playing this season, yeah I believe the Big XII would balk if we said no.

I just meant that, in general, they don't do everything we say.  Apologies if I misinterpreted the question.  

1 minute ago, Ghost of Shag said:

If this is strictly in regard to playing this season, yeah I believe the Big XII would balk if we said no.

I just meant that, in general, they don't do everything we say.  Apologies if I misinterpreted the question.  

That’s fair. I don’t think it’s us dictating to the other 9 teams btw. I think it’s a card we get to play every so often and they have to live with. Like my family- everyone gets their say on all sorts of things but every now and then I say- because daddy decided and that’s the end of the conversation. 

I just thought that was interesting that a school like Ohio State can’t make that happen in their conference, Nebraska is actively treated like Aggy and sent to the kids table with a public tongue lashing etc. made me think- what is the primacy of control worth and what would you pay to get that control?  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

No one is better than us. We decide everything, we have foot long dicks, the best academics, the hottest chicks, and the most money.

What a great thread!

Who gives a fuck, lets win a title sometime...

Sure. But in the big 12 we get to play for one this year (at least- it

looks like)

If we went to the pac 12 or big 10 we would be forced onto the sidelines against our will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s fair. I don’t think it’s us dictating to the other 9 teams btw. I think it’s a card we get to play every so often and they have to live with. Like my family- everyone gets their say on all sorts of things but every now and then I say- because daddy decided and that’s the end of the conversation. 

I just thought that was interesting that a school like Ohio State can’t make that happen in their conference, Nebraska is actively treated like Aggy and sent to the kids table with a public tongue lashing etc. made me think- what is the primacy of control worth and what would you pay to get that control?  

The Big Ten is an interesting case as a whole.  On the one hand, there are similarly prestigious programs (Michigan, Penn State) that likely have more of a voice than the majority of programs we compete with; however, each of those schools was passionate in their desire to play this fall.  

Say what you will about them, but I think the leadership in that conference is hands down better than the leadership in ours.  

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

The Big Ten is an interesting case as a whole.  On the one hand, there are similarly prestigious programs (Michigan, Penn State) that likely have more of a voice than the majority of programs we compete with; however, each of those schools was passionate in their desire to play this fall.  

Say what you will about them, but I think the leadership in that conference is hands down better than the leadership in ours.  

I don’t know that there is leadership in this conference. I think we like it that way. I think the land grant schools in tornado alley have to tolerate it that way. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. But in the big 12 we get to play for one this year (at least- it

looks like)

If we went to the pac 12 or big 10 we would be forced onto the sidelines against our will. 

On issue of going to the B1G, yes as the vote would be 12 no/ 4 yes (Texas/ Oklahoma/ Nebraska/ Iowa)...

No one is better than us. We decide everything, we have foot long dicks, the best academics, the hottest chicks, and the most money.
What a great thread!
Who gives a fuck, lets win a title sometime...
You forgot TV ratings and markets obviously!

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, you really think the big 12 would be getting ready for a season right now if Texas said no?  

Yes. Unless you have some evidence to the contrary there are ten schools in this league. If the league decided to play, Texas would find some way to play.

1. Don't know

2. Don't know

3. No

Edited by Valmy77

58 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes. Unless you have some evidence to the contrary there are ten schools in this league. If the league decided to play, Texas would find some way to play.

1. Don't know

2. Don't know

3. No

Interesting. So, what in your mind, does Texas control in this conference? Nothing? Anything?  Equal one of ten vote?  First among equals?  

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Even if it had the ability, which it doesn't, Texas wouldn't drag the rest of the conference into playing football if they didn't want to.

Because Texas doesn't have the ability to do so, or because Texas wouldn't use this leverage to get something we really wanted.  Flip the question around, if the rest wanted to play and Texas didn't want to- are we still playing without Texas? Would Texas get on board and give it a shot against it's will?  Would the conference play an 8 game schedule without Texas?

I mean- obviously there isn't "evidence to the contrary" in the form of a smoking gun, or some secret charter or the like.  Usually these things bubble out, off the record. Our guys seemed to indicate we were fully onboard with playing as we think we can do it safely and effectively and keep our athletes safe.  I do, actually, believe our admin cares about that and is making the decision they think is best- with the interests of the student athletes in mind (though I don't think those are the ONLY stakeholders they care about), and if I'm correct in Texas having an oversized influence in whether we play I think that decision is going to depend on if the Tower thinks that this is possible to do safely, not on anything else going on.  

The SEC will try to play no mater what because that is who they are. God himself couldn't stop them. Maybe it flames out, maybe it goes fine. Who knows. But they're gonna try. Hell, imagine the circle jerk they'd have if they were the only one. They'd eat that up.

It's tough to imagine the K States of the world pushing Texas to play and not the other way around. I guess theotetically they might be more worried about the financial aspect, but we all wish we had someone look at us the way Texas looks at money, so I'm skeptical that situation would ever arise. Texas could absolutely take its ball, go home, and fuck the conference in that scenario, but I don't think they would. CDC does not appear to have Dodds's same taste for railroading all other stakeholders. Plus Texas would be an instant pariah in the world of college athletics. But I really can't imagine Texas not wanting to play.

If it were the opposite, maybe Texas can sway a vote or two and ultimately the decision through shrewd negotiation/ persuasion, but I don't think that brute force approach y'all describe would work. If it was 8-2 or some shit I don't think the rest of the league would have any problem telling Texas to get fucked. But I don't think it's a realistic situation either because the B12 is comprised of the kind of places tgat will press forward with football.

41 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I think Wulaw is spot on.

If Texas said we are not playing the rest of the Big XII would not have played either.

If the Big XII did not play the ACC would not have because 3 of the power 5 would be sitting out making it a majority.

Who knows what the SEC would have done however.

If that’s true (and I think it is or I wouldn’t have postulated it obviously), then that means our decision makers probably have an oversized influence on if this season happens or not. I think they are good faith brokers at the tower, not huxters nor trying to hold onto AD revenue for another month or two before letting it go. 
If that’s so and we are the driver behind this I feel pretty at peace about whether the season happens or not. I trust the admin to make the right call. 

47 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I believe the ACC would still play if the B12 voted not to, the ACC is SEC-lite imo.  

That was the scenario I was least comfortable with having an opinion on what would happen. I don’t have a sense of the decision makers or priorities in that conference. At all. But, I do get the sense they are more risk averse and less damn the torpedos than the SEC (though I realize that’s not saying much). 

21 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Pat Forde said on Tony Kornheiser's Monday podcast that the ACC was going to do whatever the Big XII did.

If that’s true then my scenario is pretty close to accurate I think. 
mid that’s true then basically the acc and the 12 both want to play, but they need the cover of someone other than just the sec playing. Which makes sense. 
do we know what the AAC is doing?  That’s actually a fairly significant group I’d like to see as part of the post season. Also, I’d like to see at least 66 schools playing. I think for legitimacy purposes that makes the season better if you can say “majority of D1 competed”

As an inducement to the smaller leagues

to hang around and play I think, this year as this year only, especially with such little non conference, I’d say no CFP committee. We are going with the playoffs between the winner of the 3 big boy conferences and one guaranteed best of the rest. Highest AP ranked small school. Then, you kind of get the idea that everyone that’s playing starts the year with a chance to win it all. Which would be historic and the first time you could ever say that truthfully. 

15 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Not sure I'd put much stock into what Forde says, ACC has ND pretty much in their grips this season, can't imagine they'd pass on the chance for more TV eyes. 

Maybe so. Like I said- no idea what the acc thought process is- other than they are thirsty for the domers. 

8 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

So who controls the UT vote?

AD, President, Trustees, Big donors, medical advisory committee, Derka?

My guess is president. The tail doesn’t wag the dog here and this is a big enough decision I think it lands on his desk. That’s not to say that the president doesn’t have, as the top job description, wrangling all those stakeholders, but I think the decision gets made there. 

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

OP is on the right track. 

Texas will be the school that shuts the Big 12's football season down when it happens.

Honestly I think that’s an if. Mlb sustained 2 of their 30 teams with a pretty significant outbreak and soldiered in. I could see people in the NCAA playing through 1 or 2 team wide outbreaks. 

So if kansas says pull the plug everyone else is ok with that?  Nah dude- I don’t believe that’s true at all. 
Kansas has already pulled the plug on Charlie Strong and basically did it on the 2019 season. When they say we're done, we're fucking done.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:
So if kansas says pull the plug everyone else is ok with that?  Nah dude- I don’t believe that’s true at all. 

Kansas has already pulled the plug on Charlie Strong and basically did it on the 2019 season. When they say we're done, we're fucking done.

The greatest mercy killing in the history of the program. 
We should all love the Jayhawks for that kindness. 

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

So who controls the UT vote?

AD, President, Trustees, Big donors, medical advisory committee, Derka?

well there is one factor here.....what president?

Fenves is gone and there is no replacement for him yet.....I am not sure UT at this point is going to let a temp president make a massive decision like this alone

we also have to remember that as of late (not as much since Powers was run off) the BOR has been a bunch of fuckheads and not exactly Austin friendly.....sure they let Austin wet their beaks like always, but they want to get in and meddle in shit and the chancellor is not like the aggy system where one not so sharp asshole is the de facto main campus president and the rest of the universities in the system just get scraps tossed to them and ignored 

the UT System chancellor has major universities and massive medical centers to coordinate besides Austin

I would imagine that because UTEP and UTSA (and even UTA with basketball) are a part of this as well that the chancellor is pretty heavily involved, but I would also imagine that Del is getting a hell of a lot of questions about how the other Big 12 members feel, what UT Athletics can do to make sure that they are covering all bases and taking all precautions and Del is being hooked up with a lot of UT System medical experts and the UT (temp) President is probably coordinating that along with taking the same advice and expertise to open the university for classes and I would imagine all of the other UT System universities are expressing their opinions on opening campus for academics and sports....especially those at UTD, UTSA, and UTEP because they have been on the job for a little while now (and UTEP and UTSA have D1-A athletics programs with a conference that says they are playing so far) while UTA just ran their president off recently and is looking for one just like Austin is and they only have basketball to worry about and Olympic sports no football

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I think Wulaw is spot on.

If Texas said we are not playing the rest of the Big XII would not have played either.

If the Big XII did not play the ACC would not have because 3 of the power 5 would be sitting out making it a majority.

Who knows what the SEC would have done however.

I am not sure this is the case.....if OU wanted to play then OkState would be in like with that......I think TCU and Baylor are all in.....I think WVU is all in......I think Tech would take an opportunity to exert "independence" from UT especially with Baylor and TCU and they would be in.....it seems that The State of Iowa (and U Iowa) are wanting to play and both Iowa and ISU fans are cheering on on Nebraska for standing firm (until they wilted)......I think Kansas would probably like to play because they have a major hit on mens BB coming around the corner and I think KSU would be in

I think many of those programs would welcome the chance to tell UT "no problem sit this one out" because they would feel like "flexing" and because they all need the money and their cites need the income and fans even at reduced rates (with the exception of Fort Worth).....in fact I think a few of those programs probably wish UT would sit it out other than the fact that might get the whole "UT not happy in the Big 12" bullshit started again but where is UT goiing to go the SEC SEC SEC that is playing no matter what.....the ACC that is a clear follower or the PAC 12 that is being looked as as falling apart before all of this and even more so now with all of this 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

well there is one factor here.....what president?

Fenves is gone and there is no replacement for him yet.....I am not sure UT at this point is going to let a temp president make a massive decision like this alone

we also have to remember that as of late (not as much since Powers was run off) the BOR has been a bunch of fuckheads and not exactly Austin friendly.....sure they let Austin wet their beaks like always, but they want to get in and meddle in shit and the chancellor is not like the aggy system where one not so sharp asshole is the de facto main campus president and the rest of the universities in the system just get scraps tossed to them and ignored 

the UT System chancellor has major universities and massive medical centers to coordinate besides Austin

I would imagine that because UTEP and UTSA (and even UTA with basketball) are a part of this as well that the chancellor is pretty heavily involved, but I would also imagine that Del is getting a hell of a lot of questions about how the other Big 12 members feel, what UT Athletics can do to make sure that they are covering all bases and taking all precautions and Del is being hooked up with a lot of UT System medical experts and the UT (temp) President is probably coordinating that along with taking the same advice and expertise to open the university for classes and I would imagine all of the other UT System universities are expressing their opinions on opening campus for academics and sports....especially those at UTD, UTSA, and UTEP because they have been on the job for a little while now (and UTEP and UTSA have D1-A athletics programs with a conference that says they are playing so far) while UTA just ran their president off recently and is looking for one just like Austin is and they only have basketball to worry about and Olympic sports no football

I am not sure this is the case.....if OU wanted to play then OkState would be in like with that......I think TCU and Baylor are all in.....I think WVU is all in......I think Tech would take an opportunity to exert "independence" from UT especially with Baylor and TCU and they would be in.....it seems that The State of Iowa (and U Iowa) are wanting to play and both Iowa and ISU fans are cheering on on Nebraska for standing firm (until they wilted)......I think Kansas would probably like to play because they have a major hit on mens BB coming around the corner and I think KSU would be in

I think many of those programs would welcome the chance to tell UT "no problem sit this one out" because they would feel like "flexing" and because they all need the money and their cites need the income and fans even at reduced rates (with the exception of Fort Worth).....in fact I think a few of those programs probably wish UT would sit it out other than the fact that might get the whole "UT not happy in the Big 12" bullshit started again but where is UT goiing to go the SEC SEC SEC that is playing no matter what.....the ACC that is a clear follower or the PAC 12 that is being looked as as falling apart before all of this and even more so now with all of this 

Interesting take. Not sure how much I agree with all this but it is a counterpoint to my scenario I laid out, though I don’t think you have unanimity here. 
I suppose it probably depends- somewhat- on UT’s desire not to play. If it’s - eh- go

ahead- we aren’t in but you clowns do Whatever floats your boat- sure. If it’s “this feels like an act of war- maybe we are more philosophically aligned with the big 10 or PAC 12- maybe we need to get out of here- then I bet schools like well hell- the entire rest of the conference (other than OU) remember who brings the only safe haven for those schools to big time conference participation. 
let’s just say- those schools remember what it was like in 2011 or whenever before Texas decided- Fuck it let’s keep this group together and add desperate WVU and TCU.