San Antonio Spurs 2020 Offseason Thread -- What is this Lottery Shit?

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, touchthemonolith said:

I don't get all the Kawhi hate at this point tbh. Like it or not, we got like six or seven good years out of Kawhi, a defensive player of the year award, an NBA championship and another Finals appearance. He's a lifelong Spur in my book and I see no reason to still be bitter or laugh at his misfortu

Just kidding--can you imagine? Seriously, fuck Kawhi, fuck his uncle, fuck the city of Los Angeles and fuck the Clippers individually and as an organization.

Got me, too, you sonuvabitch.

giphy.gif

I am pleased to see that I wasn't the only one who was imbibing on the schadenfreude last night. Fuck Kawhi Leonard and his bitch ass coach Doc Rivers.

Seeing the Rockets eliminated earlier was a nice appetizer.

Now I just ask that the basketball gods allow anyone else other than the Lakers win the Championship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

I don't get all the Kawhi hate at this point tbh. Like it or not, we got like six or seven good years out of Kawhi, a defensive player of the year award, an NBA championship and another Finals appearance. He's a lifelong Spur in my book and I see no reason to still be bitter or laugh at his misfortu

Just kidding--can you imagine? Seriously, fuck Kawhi, fuck his uncle, fuck the city of Los Angeles and fuck the Clippers individually and as an organization.

You're good you.gif

17 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

At first I was like...

spacer.png

Then I was like...

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

AI first told a funny story about Tim Duncan during their time together on the US Men’s Basketball Team at the 2004 Olympics. After being being the victim of a peanut butter prank, Tim ratted to him who did it, allowing Iverson to take his revenge

“We were in our dorm, and I was asleep. And I woke up and had peanut butter between my feet and all in my hands and a [expletive] tickling my face. I slapped my face — peanut butter everywhere. Tim snitched on who did it.”

Iverson, like most NBA players, also had some nice things to say about Gregg Popovich when it came to the discussion of Steve Nash becoming the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets.

“I knew it with Steve Nash because he has so much to offer to our sport because he’s excellent, he’s a great person. I never had the luxury of being around him a lot, but just hearing stories from others… He’s just a beautiful man,”

“Shout out to you, Steve, I wanna see you do great man. I wanna see you become a legendary Gregg Popovich, Larry Brown type influence in peoples’ lives like they were to me. You know Gregg Popovich was so great to me from far away. Always supportive…Just excellent.”

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2020/9/26/21457685/allen-iverson-details-the-time-tim-duncan-snitched-for-him-praises-gregg-popovich

• 2 weeks later...

So, seen more than a few mocks have us end up with Patrick Williams from FSU.   Definitely wouldn't hate it as he's a 4 who can play both ends with an evolving offense game.  Could even play C if you wanted to play small ball.  Good mock here.

Versatile offensive threat who can serve as a shot creator or as a screener; he can fill a range of roles.

SHADES OF: Danilo Gallinari, P.J. Tucker
PLUSES
  • Efficient at-rim scorer who uses either hand on athletic extended finishes.
  • Talented scorer off the dribble who can rise—and sometimes hang —before draining tough, contested jumpers.
  • Sound decision-maker who plays within the system. He doesn’t pause possessions; he keeps the ball moving. Nor does he force bad shots; he looks for an open man.
  • Good playmaker for his size due to his solid handle and excellent passing vision. He loves to use hesitations, especially in the pick-and-roll, and he can deliver accurate passes off the dribble.
  • Does the little things like cutting, screening, and rebounding. With his size and skill, it’s projectable for a team to use him like a big as an on-ball screener who can pop for 3s or dive to the rim.
  • Smart, athletic team defender who communicates and disrupts actions with timely help defense.
  • Gritty player who hustles hard on defense. He’s had a handful of inspired chasedown blocks. As a rim protector, he’ll put in multiple efforts to get stops.
  • Flashes versatility on-ball in a switch-heavy scheme at Florida State. With improvements to his athleticism, he could shine.
MINUSES
  • Still developing as a spot-up shooter. He had to improve his form in high school to become a good free throw shooter (84 percent), but still struggles off the catch with a low, slow release.
  • He totaled nearly double the number of turnovers (50) as he did assists (29). Despite a knack for playmaking, he got called for countless travels due to raw footwork and forced drives into traffic.
  • Stiff man-to-man defender without the versatility to reliably switch onto guards and wings. He’s clunky moving laterally and changing directions, so he gets burned regularly.

I don't really see Galinari as he's more physical and sturdily built.  A little more explosive off the floor but not as refined game (he's still not 19).  I could see the PJ Tucker comp with 4 more inches on him.  I've warmed up to him the more footage I've seen and how evaluators feel about his upside.  Rather than have the USC kid but he's getting top 5-6 helium and don't think he'll be there for us.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

They have so many backcourt players and wings already, I think they have to take a big. Unless there is a point guard that they are just in love with that falls to them and assuming Wiseman and Okongwu are long gone by 11, I think it comes down to:

1. Obi Toppin - he's probably going to be gone by 11, too. I can see the Amare Stoudemire comparisons but he seems like a disaster on defense. I don't get why his athleticism doesn't translate. He's also 22 and probably maxed out physically. He's definitely got an NBA body now. I think I should be more enthused about him than I am.

2. Patrick Williams - the consensus pick. We should probably eliminate him out of hand just because of that. When have the Spurs ever drafted who they were expected to? I like him though. Seems like a good energy guy who is rough around the edges.

3. Jalen Smith - I could get on board with him. I don't know much about him, but from a small sample size of one interview I watched, he seems like a Spur/good dude and he can stretch the floor. Probably a high floor/low ceiling guy but seems like he has some ready made skills that can translate immediately.

4. Precious Achiuwa - I could also get on board with Precious. They haven't had an athletic/energy 4 since who? Malik Rose? If he has any type of work ethic and a good attitude, I think he's worth rolling the dice on. It's a little concerning that he's almost 21 and just finished his freshman year, though. 

5. Aleksej Pokusevski - we already drafted the same guy last year with Samanic, except this dude makes Luka look like Karl Malone. Holy shit he's thin. Maybe they keep drafting these guys until they find the next Dirk but two years in a row would be weird. 

6. Jaden McDaniels - I know he's more of a wing and projected to go much later in first round, but another guy that you could roll the dice on based on athletic upside. He's seems mortally brain dead though - terrible shot selection often early in the clock and fouls like a motherfucker. He would drive Pop absolutely nuts but you can see the potential.

On 10/19/2020 at 5:19 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

2. Patrick Williams - the consensus pick. We should probably eliminate him out of hand just because of that. When have the Spurs ever drafted who they were expected to? I like him though. Seems like a good energy guy who is rough around the edges.

tenor.gif?itemid=10898157

• Like 1

I'm also getting somewhat enamored with Zeke Nnaji. He just posted a ridiculous 38" vertical at the combine at 6'10" with a 7'2" wingspan. Seems like he has a really good touch as well. I'm not sure why he's projected in the mid second round. He looks like a first round talent to me. Guys that big with that type of athleticism who can shoot don't really grow on trees. He seems to have problems with help defense both from a recognition and execution standpoint, and he also gets panicked with the ball and turns it over a lot. He'd appear to be a reach at 11 but a steal at 41.

Speaking of pick 41, there should be a good prospect there. This is one of those weird drafts that seems short on top end talent, but lots of depth. It's the type of draft where 5 years later you look back and say, "I can't believe _____ went in the second round behind all of these scrubs and flameouts." You may be just as likely to find a player at 41 as 20 this year. I hope the Spurs can get lucky there. This franchise could really use something that broke right for them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Doing them 30-mile bike rides with Manu on instagram.... hopefully he's just stepping away to live his life. He's given enough to SA and basketball.

If they are going to take on $90 million in salary for Wiggins over the next three seasons, then the Warriors can get fucked about pick #11 and/or they would have to throw in another asset. In this draft in particular, where the difference between #2 and #11 could be minimal, that seems like a steep price to pay. That is a fucking terrible contract, especially when the Spurs are going to clear both Aldridge and DeRozan (and Gay and Mills) after next season. Also the amount of tax relief that the Warriors would get from both moving Wiggins and moving out of #2, is rather significant.

The Spurs books would be almost completely clean with a ton of dudes on rookie deals plus Murray's reasonable contract. But that's it. Not that I'm suggesting that they go free agent hunting, but they could for sure use that cap space to take on some dead weight from other teams and accumulate more assets. 

Somehow I missed this:

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-rumors-la-interested-trading-kyle-kuzma-danny-green-spurs-demar-derozan/

According to The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor, the Lakers could be making a push for San Antonio Spurs star DeMar DeRozan in exchange for Kyle Kuzma and Danny Green.

As much as I want to see DDR gone, are you fucking kidding me? Kuzma was awful in the playoffs and is going to want a huge contract at the end of the year. And no backs on Danny Green. 

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Somehow I missed this:

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-rumors-la-interested-trading-kyle-kuzma-danny-green-spurs-demar-derozan/

As much as I want to see DDR gone, are you fucking kidding me? Kuzma was awful in the playoffs and is going to want a huge contract at the end of the year. And no backs on Danny Green. 

There's a line of thinking (and it may be true) that certain guys can play with Lebron and certain guys can't.  Younger guys will struggle, especially scorers.  Just saying.

I hated the fast breakin' fiesta shit when it came out. 25 years later.... still hate it. EABOD Russ Bookbinder.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but they took a classic silver and black look at spewed fiesta jizz all over it. Could you imagine the Raiders doing this to their classic suits? No, you can't. You know why? Because it's fucking stupid, that's why.

You want to throw back something, go back to the sliver uniforms or the black on black.

/get off my lawn

Silver_Saturday.jpg

_San_Antonio__Black_on_Black.jpg

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I hated the fast breakin' fiesta shit when it came out. 25 years later.... still hate it. EABOD Russ Bookbinder.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but they took a classic silver and black look at spewed fiesta jizz all over it. Could you imagine the Raiders doing this to their classic suits? No, you can't. You know why? Because it's fucking stupid, that's why.

You want to throw back something, go back to the sliver uniforms or the black on black.

/get off my lawn

Silver_Saturday.jpg

We've played in that silver look very recently. Not sure about the black on black.

15 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

/get off my lawn

Silver_Saturday.jpg

I mean, it would be really weird for the fucking LAS VEGAS (or Oakland or LA) Raiders to put colors on their uniforms representative of a Texas/Mexican cultural tradition.

For the Spurs to do it though? Now that makes sense, and it's fire. Can't wait to order mine.

Edited by TheBryMan81