San Antonio Spurs 2020 Offseason Thread -- What is this Lottery Shit?

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kens5.com/amp/article/sports/nba/spurs/time-to-make-a-change-gregg-popovich-speaks-on-internal-development-and-the-new-direction-for-the-san-antonio-spurs/273-18da0afd-fe85-4864-9e75-be87fd0c81b9
Pop did his season opening interview. They’re going to continue the bubble offense. LA is going to shoot even more threes. D. White, Keldon, and Q are out with injuries (Keldon is in a boot but it isn’t serious). 

Any likely teams that might trade for LA, Gay, or DeRozen at some point this season??

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Any likely teams that might trade for LA, Gay, or DeRozen at some point this season??

Maybe. If LA can start knocking down threes at a significant rate, a contender might throw in. The Spurs are probably shit outta luck on Demar. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

It appears we're hoping a playoff contender who needs another piece or one who suffers an injury and needs a guy to sustain or improve playoff chances.  Personally, I don't think in season packages for stars tend to garner the best packages but for someone like DD, we are picking up his pro rated salary for the time he's with us and maybe that appeals to someone as he's now on an expiring.  I'm not really expecting much, the front office has been pretty lousy at leveraging our assets in trades.  We'll have a ton of cap space next year though although unsure who would want to come here?  At least it appears we're going to let the kids play and the team should be sort of fun to watch progress if expectations are realistic.  Want to see more of Lonnie, Keldon, the rookie.  How much do we play White and Murray together this season?  Is Samanic going to break the rotation at some point or is he a huge draft bust?  There will be some fun storylines with the team and then around the deadline..... are we going to try and get anything with our assets or just play it out and get cap room?

30 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It appears we're hoping a playoff contender who needs another piece or one who suffers an injury and needs a guy to sustain or improve playoff chances.  Personally, I don't think in season packages for stars tend to garner the best packages but for someone like DD, we are picking up his pro rated salary for the time he's with us and maybe that appeals to someone as he's now on an expiring.  I'm not really expecting much, the front office has been pretty lousy at leveraging our assets in trades.  We'll have a ton of cap space next year though although unsure who would want to come here?  At least it appears we're going to let the kids play and the team should be sort of fun to watch progress if expectations are realistic.  Want to see more of Lonnie, Keldon, the rookie.  How much do we play White and Murray together this season?  Is Samanic going to break the rotation at some point or is he a huge draft bust?  There will be some fun storylines with the team and then around the deadline..... are we going to try and get anything with our assets or just play it out and get cap room?

We don’t have any assets. At least they haven’t made the original sin worse (the Kawhi trade). 

9 hours ago, Kermit said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kens5.com/amp/article/sports/nba/spurs/time-to-make-a-change-gregg-popovich-speaks-on-internal-development-and-the-new-direction-for-the-san-antonio-spurs/273-18da0afd-fe85-4864-9e75-be87fd0c81b9

Pop did his season opening interview. They’re going to continue the bubble offense. LA is going to shoot even more threes. D. White, Keldon, and Q are out with injuries (Keldon is in a boot but it isn’t serious). 

Thanks for posting. I actually watched it. 22 minutes of covid / social justice bs and maybe 3 minutes of actual basketball talk. Par for the course.

My take: they aren't going to trade LA or DDR unless they are way out of the playoff hunt at the trade deadline. I think they spent most of the time in the bubble sniffing their own farts -- even with as well as they played and the way that they played, I don't think they have the horses to get to the 8th seed. The rest of the conference is just too good.

At least they appear committed to playing the promising young guys (finally). Absent a complete and total rebuild which was never going to happen, I think that's as much as anyone outside of Bryn Forbes's blood relatives could ask for. My hope is that they play entertaining basketball and that the young guys grow as much as possible... and they collect as many ping pong balls along the way while sneaking in some upsets here and there. Even though they are going rack up a ton of L's, this season should still be fun to watch and follow.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Three Lakers games and one Clipper game out of the first 8 of the season. That doesn't seem optimal to get out to a fast start. 

Yeah - 3 losses in the first 8 for LA might come around to bite them later in the year when seeding is at stake.

I’m trying not overreact to a preseason game, especially with everything that’s going on. That being said: Vassell is fucking awesome, Lonnie needs to slow down, love Aldridge shooting threes, Demar is Demar, Patty might chuck every chuck, Dejounte is getting worse, Rudy looks outstanding, and some other shit.

https://youtube/Csm63O5AMes

Here are the Vassell highlights from last night.

I didn't see the game but it's pretty clear that the guy has a decent basketball iq - certain things you can tell come naturally like how he positions himself on defense off ball and moves without the ball on offense. That little play where he drives and kicks to Aldridge you can tell he was setting that up the whole time. That play where he comes off his defender to steal the ball. He's probably (wishful thinking) going to be one of those dudes who is just always around the ball and stuffing the stat sheet even if they don't run anything for him.

So far so good. It's too bad Bryn Forbes isn't around too steal all of his minutes this year. If they stash him in Austin all year and we don't get to see him play I'm going to be pissed. He needs big league minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If they stash him in Austin all year and we don't get to see him play I'm going to be pissed.

Not a chance. He went 11th in the draft for a reason. Pop wouldn't give a guy that much run with the starters in a preseason game if he planned on stashing him.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Not a chance. He went 11th in the draft for a reason. Pop wouldn't give a guy that much run with the starters in a preseason game if he planned on stashing him.

I hope you're right... but in the preseason game both White and Keldon J  were out with injuries so he got moved up the depth chart. They have a bit of logjam on the roster -- Keldon J, Derozan, Gay, Walker and White all play that similar 2-3 wing position as Vassell. We will see how committed Pop is to small ball and the style they played in the bubble.  In an ideal world, I think Derozan and Gay are small ball 4's now, but who the fuck knows what that cagey old bastard is going to do. He might go twin towers with Aldridge and the Poodle, and then throw Trey Lyles in at 3. 

One other important administrative note... we need a thread title for this season. Suggestions:

San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Trade Deadline or Bust

San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Wandering the Desert - Year #2

San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Pounding the rock... and tequila shots

San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Puro Pinche Loteria

• Hook 'Em 1