Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

On 11/20/2020 at 2:50 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

In the case of Ewers, maybe it has something to do with Ryan Day looking like a pretty good developer of QB's. Dwayne Haskins was drafted 15th overall and was a Heisman finalist. Justin Fields will probably be drafted earlier and he was a Heisman finalist too. He should be in the running again this year barring injury or Covid concerns (or a disastrous performance against IU tomorrow).

And if any recruits visit Buckeye message boards, they're not going to see a bunch of threads calling for Ryan Day's firing. 

Which is why Ewers is still not 110% gone ... as Day in play for multiple NFL teams. Odds of him still being there when Ewers ready is sign is 50/50 at best

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

If you were talking about the Vikings, you’re right, they play indoors. The Gophers play outdoors. 

Minnesota stadium talk not going away.

The Office Thank You GIF

Yes! I knew I was right.

We talkin bout Pro’s.  Not college. Pro’s. we talkin ‘bout Pro’s. 

• 1 month later...

Let’s give Ewers time to figure this out.  He’s a kid that has a circle of elite recruits that all want to play at Ohio state together. I’m not sure we will convince those guys to flip to Texas given that tOSU is a machine right now.

Good thing is that the state has other elite QBs next year as well and a loaded WR Corp.  Convince those other guys to come here and then show it on the field.  Do those things and I bet you’ll see Ewers open to the idea.  It will be a long shot but I truly believe the kid always wanted to play for Texas and if we can compete, he will flip back.  But we have to show it.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Day’s name has been tossed into the mix as HC for the Jaguars. While unlikely to happen, that’s probably the only chance. 

He's denying any NFL interest. (Pat Fitzgerald, however, is not, and boy he does have the NFL head coach look already nailed down)

• Haha 2

Wells note on Ewers

Spoiler

B Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll (2022): The nation's top passer for 2022 put on another impressive performance in the Dragons' win over Euless Trinity on Saturday morning. News of Steve Sarkisian coming to Texas trickled out during the contest and after the game, Ewers was effusive in his praise of Sarkisian, who recruited him at Alabama. But it appears Ohio State is the still the team today. Either way, you recruit this kid until the LOI is faxed.

This shit aint done

• Hook 'Em 1

From what I've read, Ewers loves Texas. He has baby Ehlinger type pics. IMO he wants to go to Texas, but not at the expense of his long term goals and opportunities, read NFL. I'm sure OSU coaches and Texas OSU players were in his ear about Texas not developing talent, Texas is where 5 stars go to suck, etc. And then Tom taking a shit on the field changed his mind. 

Don't think this one is over. I think we have a successful year under Sark and Ewers is a flip.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

While there were a myriad of reasons Herman got the boot I think Ewers is one of the reasons he got canned. Brian Davis put out a tweet with some of CDC's justifications and they were: bowl game opt outs, this recruiting class not being great, 2022's class not looking good so far and the negative recruiting from some of the players on the team. The opt out thing is a load of shit because they won the bowl game by 30 points. This recruiting class wasn't going to change much either way because almost the entire class is signed and the negative recruiting is a problem for sure.

If Texas was going to emulate a program to try and get back to the top it would be Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State and it had to be an offensive minded coach to try and get Ewers back in the mix. Ryan Day ain't leaving Ohio State and it's his offense even if Kevin Wilson is the OC. That leaves Sark and Tony Elliott. I think both are fine candidates honestly. I think it just boils down to Texas doesn't want to be Clemson in that Clemson is an overachiever. Clemson fashions themselves as the underdog who made good. That isn't Texas. Alabama and Texas are more philosophical fits and I think that's why Sark was the guy. I don't think it had anything to do with any of his work prior to coming to Alabama. I think CDC wants Texas to emulate Alabama if they can and that makes sense.

If Sark can get Kyle Flood to come to Austin and fix the offensive line, gets the 2022 class going in a positive direction and the program shows signs of life early in the season I think we have a shot with Ewers. I wouldn't underestimate the family affinity for UT and the proximity to Austin vs Columbus. It's an uphill battle because Ohio State is just so far ahead of us as a program, but I'm staying optimistic that there's a chance.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

From what I've read, Ewers loves Texas. He has baby Ehlinger type pics. IMO he wants to go to Texas, but not at the expense of his long term goals and opportunities, read NFL. I'm sure OSU coaches and Texas OSU players were in his ear about Texas not developing talent, Texas is where 5 stars go to suck, etc. And then Tom taking a shit on the field changed his mind. 

Don't think this one is over. I think we have a successful year under Sark and Ewers is a flip.

Same

Theres no way this deal is over. Sark hasnt fired a single bullet on our behalf. Ewers legitimately likes us a lot. We already told him we are basically going to design an NIL campaign around him. I dont know if that will be enough, but theres no way the kid isnt going to second guess the Ohio State deal if Sark makes him a priority. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Sark has a top 3 QB whisperer resume in CFB (Lincoln and Mullen the other two). Ryan Day isn't even close. Sark coached Carson Palmer, Leinart, Sanchez, Jake Locker, Tua, Mac Jones. Ryan Day has Haskins (lol) and Fields.

Sark's offense is also less dependent on a dual threat QB. 

If Ewers were starting from scratch now, he'd pick UT in a heartbeat. Question is whether he can mentally swallow another flip.

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I think there's valid reason for concern that Ewers' "switching costs" (bear with me here) will get higher and higher as next season progresses. He's been really active in getting his buddies to follow him to Ohio State (yuck) and if all his friends are already committed there he probably wouldn't feel like shaking things up again. By the time the end of the season rolls around he may be too entrenched in the Ohio State program.

/pessimism

2 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I think there's valid reason for concern that Ewers' "switching costs" (bear with me here) will get higher and higher as next season progresses. He's been really active in getting his buddies to follow him to Ohio State (yuck) and if all his friends are already committed there he probably wouldn't feel like shaking things up again. By the time the end of the season rolls around he may be too entrenched in the Ohio State program.

/pessimism

valid but shit happens. milroe did the same thing for us. he was the pied piper until he wasn't.

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust
  • RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust