Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

33 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

What are the odds that Urban actually hires his son in law at Jacksonville? That seems pretty key for a Ewers flip to become reality. 

Dennis won’t be the deciding factor in Ewers recruitment. Ryan Day is his coach and primary recruiter for tOSU. Same for Sark at Texas. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Assman said:

He's playing for Carroll in the state title game.  This isn't like he's on some RGV team with no supporting cast.  I'm just saying the #1 recruit in the NATION should be able to put the team on his back and at least make this game a little more competitive. 

I bet you though Vince sucked after the OU game in ‘04 too, huh?

• Hook 'Em 1

Of course he had better numbers, he was on more really good teams duh. His class was the #1 Class in the country, each subsequent class was top 5 I believe. Applewhite had no such luxuries while he was a starter. Mack fucked up pandering to helicopter dad.
For guys who only played 4 years, it seems a little odd to say one more was on more really good when the argument is who should start over the other. Then consider one had the Heisman winner. And McGarity went on to having the 2nd best NFL career of WRs during that time.

23 hours ago, Red Five said:

I'd flip a coin on the two, but Simms had better numbers and a better winning percentage. I'd also take Ehlinger over both. 

Holy fucking shit this is hot take. Simms probably wins at least one national title as the QB the last 4 years. 

22 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Man you really have to be a dumbass(man) to think Simms should have ever started.

Simms was a superior QB to Teh Major in every possible way. Watching folks attempt to argue otherwise is always high comedy that usually comes down to “but but but meh meh meh Colorado!”

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Simms was a superior QB to Teh Major in every possible way. Watching folks attempt to argue otherwise is always high comedy that usually comes down to “but but but meh meh meh Colorado!”
Probably wins a mnc the last 4 years. Had the chance to play for one but completely shat the bed. Simms was better in every possible way except winning big games.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DCA_HORN said:
29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Probably wins a mnc the last 4 years. Had the chance to play for one but completely shat the bed. Simms was better in every possible way except winning big games.

So what big games did Sam win? 

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Westlake just gave Quinn all the motivation he needs for next season. 

If Ewers needs, or is in any way motivated by this nonsense, he’s doesn’t have the competitive sickness. The state title game should be more than enough. If your friends are keeping score and it’s front yard football - that should be enough motivation. Because if you keep score there’s a winner and a loser and if you need more than that ... 

Fwiw, I think he played like a badass that’s  not recovered from injury, against a really impressive defense, and I don’t doubt his competitiveness. Westlake was simply the far better team - they earned the flex.

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Holy fucking shit this is hot take. Simms probably wins at least one national title as the QB the last 4 years. 

This is the worst take I've ever seen you make. I'm actually impressed.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So what big games did Sam win? 

I don't think it's fair to compare 2 guys that played under Mack to a guy that was blessed with Herman's brilliance behind the mic (in terms of the big games they won or were able to play in).

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hilarious that 20 years later we can still be pulled into a Simms vs. Applewhite debate at the drop of the hat but dammit I can't help myself either. The cult of Major was always overblown, people who bring up the Colorado game never seem to mention Major fumbling away the game in college station in '99 or getting his shit pushed in by Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl.  Or throwing a few picks against Stanford the next season (yeah, those fucking blocked punts didn't help).

It was all just bullshit narrative driving most of it. Gritty underdog that has "it" against the golden-boy born with the silver spoon who was soft and arrogant. In reality Major - kind of an ass. And Simms certainly wasn't soft, guy ruptured his spleen on the field on the field and kept playing. He literally could have died.

Anyway, fuck the offseason & teamSimms forever. Back to Ewers talk. 

• Hook 'Em 8

6 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Hilarious that 20 years later we can still be pulled into a Simms vs. Applewhite debate at the drop of the hat but dammit I can't help myself either. The cult of Major was always overblown, people who bring up the Colorado game never seem to mention Major fumbling away the game in college station in '99 or getting his shit pushed in by Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl.  Or throwing a few picks against Stanford the next season (yeah, those fucking blocked punts didn't help).

It was all just bullshit narrative driving most of it. Gritty underdog that has "it" against the golden-boy born with the silver spoon who was soft and arrogant. In reality Major - kind of an ass. And Simms certainly wasn't soft, guy ruptured his spleen on the field on the field and kept playing. He literally could have died.

It's also just a terrific synopsis of Texas . Opposing factions of the donor and fanbase attempt to derail Texas football as it attempts to round the corner. Rinse, repeat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The national title stuff was clearly a joke, but Simms being better than Ehlinger isn’t. It’s not even close. I’d love to hear anyone attempt to explain otherwise. 

Not saying he was better but no way Simms would have finished half the season with the OL we had in 2017.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not sure Ehlinger remembers half the 2017 season either. That shit was brutal for any QB. 

Not sure what you’re talking about. The esteemed Thomas Herman III said that was the second best OL he’d ever coached. 

Also, I just saw on Herman’s Wikipedia that he was an only child. Holy shit, that explains so much about him.

• Haha 2

I was at that Colorado game and I will never forgive Simms. Ever. Team Major.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

3 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:
4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

35 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

I was at that Colorado game and I will never forgive Simms. Ever. Team Major.

ctj calling his shot.....

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sam has a higher career passer rating, comp%, TD/INT ratio (by far), and adjusted yards/attempt than Simms.

I guess we could start there. And I'm not some Ehlinger blowhard.

The offensive systems they played in were night/day. Simms had unreal talent and elite arm strength, he just got in his head too much during some games. Definitely had more weapons around him than sam (Roy was better than almost all of Sam’s receivers put together) but Sam definitely played in a more QB friendly offense.

Simms never lived up to his potential, Major had no potential, and Ehlinger wallowed between the two - content with mediocrity. 

Don’t start with statistical nonsense as the defenses faced and the era are entirely different. I hated Simms with every fiber of my being during several games of his tenure, not just Colorado, but he was the best QB of those 3. 

none of them understood or if they did were simply unwilling to devote the level of sacrifice/commitment it took to be better than what they were. 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Don’t start with statistical nonsense as the defenses faced and the era are entirely different.

Then this entire discussion is going to be baseless. All I used were per possession stats and ratios. Tell me how to adjust for era before just throwing all of Sam's numbers in the garbage. 

I'd confidently say that Sam was a better decision maker and a better runner. Simms obviously threw a better deep ball and had a better arm. That didn't translate to great numbers for him. 

I'm also not going to pretend that Simms faced a bunch of powerhouse defenses in his career. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Then this entire discussion is going to be baseless. All I used were per possession stats and ratios. Tell me how to adjust for era before just throwing all of Sam's numbers in the garbage. 

I'd confidently say that Sam was a better decision maker and a better runner. Simms obviously threw a better deep ball and had a better arm. That didn't translate to great numbers for him. 

I'm also not going to pretend that Simms faced a bunch of powerhouse defenses in his career. 

Lets see Sam make it longer than 7 years in the NFL

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

none of them understood or if they did were simply unwilling to devote the level of sacrifice/commitment it took to be better than what they were. 

That's a load of shit, at least as it's concerned with Sam. He just wasn't a great QB at the end of the day. Is what it is. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

The offensive systems they played in were night/day. Simms had unreal talent and elite arm strength, he just got in his head too much during some games. Definitely had more weapons around him than sam (Roy was better than almost all of Sam’s receivers put together) but Sam definitely played in a more QB friendly offense.

Simms’ arm was vastly overrated.  Because he threw every pass as hard as he could.  At the combine when they put all the QBs on the radar gun, he was right in the middle.  He did throw a pretty ball.  But his arm strength was nothing special.  

Also, Simms got to play with a much, much better supporting cast.  Roy, BJ, Sloan, Scaife, Cedric, and the OL.  

I just can’t rate a man who has as many passing TDs against OU as I do all that high.  

He was an above average college qb. That’s it.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 3

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust