Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

The amount of unresolved angst that emerges when those two unremarkably decent QBs come up is really something. 

It really is a remarkable debate because both QBs had so many failures, neither side can unequivocally claim victory so the debate just goes on forever.

I’m not old enough to take a position on that, but you better believe I remember the great Heard-Swoopes debate followed up by a hotly contested Swoopes-Beuchele battle, which Anwar proclaimed was won by Swoopes days before the ND game.

Anwar really has been able to stake out his position as one of the remarkably terrible Texas reporters in an era with more competition for that honor than ever. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

5 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

I was at that Colorado game and I will never forgive Simms. Ever. Team Major.

The only time I have ever vomited sober without being sick was in the parking lot of the stadium after that game. And Simms is still a superior QB to Applewhite and should have been playing. 

7 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Neither Simms nor Applewhite were national title caliber college QBs.  We had two of that quality right after them so it really should not be hard to recognize.

You think Chance Mock was a "national title caliber college QB?"

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The only time I have ever vomited sober without being sick was in the parking lot of the stadium after that game. And Simms is still a superior QB to Applewhite and should have been playing. 

I had gotten an unreleased sample of burnt orange Presto’s from my Nike Rep.  After that debacle, I took them off in the parking lot and “Chris Simms’d” them on to Loop 12. 
That maybe been the most pissed-off I’ve ever been after a loss. Worse than the ou game courtesy of the Evil Roy Williams. F me the 2001 Season sucked.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Damn glad i was drunk. I walked into the stadium with a bottle Makers in my hand and nobody said a thing. 

On 1/17/2021 at 10:40 AM, Longhornlove said:

Of course he had better numbers, he was on more really good teams duh. His class was the #1 Class in the country, each subsequent class was top 5 I believe. Applewhite had no such luxuries while he was a starter. Mack fucked up pandering to helicopter dad.

Applewhite played with Ricky, Hodges, Kwame, Shaun, Casey, Jammer, Wane, Davis in 1998.  He played with many of the same guys Simms did later.   Applewhite had the helicopter Dad, not Simms.    

13 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Just ...please ... stop it.

Ewers had something like 350 yards the other night. He was playing hurt and he's still a junior in high school.

Can we please wait until after he throws an INT against TCU before calling him overrated?

This, and Westlake tends to make their QBs look pretty damn good. People were straight up advocating for Klubnik over Ewers. Put Ewers on that Westlake team and they roll everyone. (At least - maybe more so on O - they kind of already did)

21 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually liked Simms. Yeah, ou owned his ass, but that's also on Mack, too. He wasn't perfect, but he was a pretty damn good qb. 

Granted it was a sample size of 1, but I met Major on 6th when I was in school and he couldn't have been a bigger piece of shit.  I also met Simms once on 6th and he was extremely nice.  He was also surrounded by hot chicks, while Major was hitting on a chubby girl in our group.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Granted it was a sample size of 1, but I met Major on 6th when I was in school and he couldn't have been a bigger piece of shit.  I also met Simms once on 6th and he was extremely nice.  He was also surrounded by hot chicks, while Major was hitting on a chubby girl in our group.

I really didn't believe you until the last sentence. Now it checks out

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

You're not the first person I've heard say this about Major. I've never met either, but people I know who have met both always said Simms was definitely nicer and more down to earth. I always thought that was weird because he was a rich kid #1 qb. But yeah, just on going through YouTube to refresh my memory as a kid, Simms was definitely more polished. 

36 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

I am good friends with a woman who was dating Simms during the whole CU thing. I know he had a long time girlfriend that I *think* he's married to now? Anyway, you know how that shit goes. My buddy is French and didn't/doesn't give a shit about football, so that had to have had an allure for Simms. When I've been able to pry a story from her over the years, they're never positive about what she witnessed with him while at Texas. 

I was also a coworker with a bunch of hot women that were dating football players, among them Ricky Williams. I never met Applewhite until years later and he just seemed like your typical grinder of a football coach when I have spoken with him. However, the way the players mocked Applewhite, while he was the starting QB at Texas, when he came up was just bizarre at the time. This was '98/'99 timeframe. 

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

How is Stanford’s academics compared to ours?

where will Vince young land this year. 

Simms was better than major. 

charlie strong. 

did I get them all?

The Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area, and where it is

Silsbee, TX, and how to get there

Cheese

Hydraulics

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am good friends with a woman who was dating Simms during the whole CU thing. I know he had a long time girlfriend that I *think* he's married to now? Anyway, you know how that shit goes. My buddy is French and didn't/doesn't give a shit about football, so that had to have had an allure for Simms. When I've been able to pry a story from her over the years, they're never positive about what she witnessed with him while at Texas. 

I was also a coworker with a bunch of hot women that were dating football players, among them Ricky Williams. I never met Applewhite until years later and he just seemed like your typical grinder of a football coach when I have spoken with him. However, the way the players mocked Applewhite, while he was the starting QB at Texas, when he came up was just bizarre at the time. This was '98/'99 timeframe. 

Yeah- to go with that- I had a connection inside at the time and he said Mack didn’t make the decision on starter at all- that the team and guys clearly decided on Simms, it wasn’t close, and it transcended race and position groupings, so there’s that. And the Major injury. And the fact that Major just wasn’t all that good. But other than that, yeah...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You're not the first person I've heard say this about Major. I've never met either, but people I know who have met both always said Simms was definitely nicer and more down to earth. I always thought that was weird because he was a rich kid #1 qb. But yeah, just on going through YouTube to refresh my memory as a kid, Simms was definitely more polished. 

a couple of friends of mine were getting their MBA and renting a house in tarrytown next door to major when he was an assistant here. they said his wife was nice but that he was a huge asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I met Major Applewhite once when I was like 12. He introduced himself as "Hey kid, want The Major to sign your hat", then walked away when I told him that I didn't have a sharpie. No idea why he wanted to sign my hat, no idea why he thought I would have a sharpie on me and also my hat was entirely black besides the burnt orange longhorn in the middle...that is my only input into this discussion

lmao

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Nivek said:

Applewhite played with Ricky, Hodges, Kwame, Shaun, Casey, Jammer, Wane, Davis in 1998.  He played with many of the same guys Simms did later.   Applewhite had the helicopter Dad, not Simms.    

Say what you will, I have my opinion, you have yours. If Chris was so much better, why did Major come in and outplay him. Why did he start and dominate the Holiday Bowl. Huh, I don't know either, but I have my suspicions. Applewhite having the helicopter dad is laughable without evidence. 

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust