San Antonio

TexasHooch

4 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

If I’m on West Avenue I usually hit up Ruthies.

4 hours ago, midtown said:

I've driven by Ruthies probably hundreds of times.  Always packed.  Never been.   These two restaurants are miles apart.  inside vs outside

I've never been to Ruthies either but I've probably had 200 meals in that place. 

16 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah, I’ve probably eaten in the building more than anywhere else in SA. I went to Churchill so we were there damn near every morning for tacos before school and after every party on the weekends.

Have you ever eaten at Ruthies and got their tres leches from the bakery next door?

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Have you ever eaten at Ruthies and got their tres leches from the bakery next door?

No I have not.  I haven't eaten in that building since Palapas took over the old El Pollo Loco right across from Churchill on Blanco.  That was probably some time in the early 90's.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Spider-Man Pointing at Spider-Man | Know Your Meme

Wait, you went to Churchill as well?  What year?

I went to Churchill as well and Ruthie's was me and my friends' hangout spot almost every morning before class.  They have my favorite bacon & egg tacos of all time there, love their tortillas and their tacos are a pretty good size.  It's been a little while since I've been there but I'm pretty sure they still have the Charger Special there on weekday mornings, it's 2 tacos and a drink for a real cheap price.  The owner, Nas, is a good dude, hung out with him a few times, he's a big supporter of Churchill.  

Did you have journalism or take French? Play basketball? Those would have been the only classes we may have had together.

I moved into Churchill from Boerne in January if 86, halfway through my junior year. I didn’t grow up in the area, so I didn’t have really deep roots there.

22 hours ago, Hate said:

Did you have journalism or take French? Play basketball? Those would have been the only classes we may have had together.

I moved into Churchill from Boerne in January if 86, halfway through my junior year. I didn’t grow up in the area, so I didn’t have really deep roots there.

No, no and no. I'm sure we could play the name game, but I doubt I know you.

Ok, this might be my "Jump to Conclusions" mat moment, but I just had a moment of clarity idea for Teka Molina's to add more of a SA marketing footprint.  

Imagine this with the cannon replaced by a puffy taco and the words altered to say, "Come and Teka it".  Sell flags and bumper stickers right there at the counter and on their website --

s-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 9:23 PM, Cajun said:

Ok, this might be my "Jump to Conclusions" mat moment, but I just had a moment of clarity idea for Teka Molina's to add more of a SA marketing footprint.  

Imagine this with the cannon replaced by a puffy taco and the words altered to say, "Come and Teka it".  Sell flags and bumper stickers right there at the counter and on their website --

s-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I’m a Teka enthusiast and would rock the hell out of a come and Tek it shirt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Did Las Palapas used to be good? When I have eaten there I was never too impressed. Did it go the route of Taco Cabana?

I haven’t lived in SA in 26 years, so I’m sure a few things have changed since then. I rarely go to Palapas because I’m rarely in SA. Last time I went to Palapas was probably almost 5 years ago and I went for breakfast. Their huevos rancheros is outstanding or at least was.

On 9/27/2021 at 12:08 PM, Cajun said:

Las Palapas is shit now.  I used to worship the place.  Been there 4 or 5 times (different locations) since I moved back and I'm done w/them.

back in the mid 90's when we'd shoot up from kingsville for a weekend in SA, palapas was so damn good. i agree with you now though, it's 100% crap 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

back in the mid 90's when we'd shoot up from kingsville for a weekend in SA, palapas was so damn good. i agree with you now though, it's 100% crap 

Yup.  I’m a Taco Palenque guy through & through when it comes to drive thru tacos now.  Piratas ftw.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cajun said:

Yup.  I’m a Taco Palenque guy through & through when it comes to drive thru tacos now.  Piratas ftw.

I like that you get fideo with your meal instead of rice and beans. Taco Palenque is quite expensive but I'd imagine the quality would go to shit if they made it cheaper.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I like that you get fideo with your meal instead of rice and beans. Taco Palenque is quite expensive but I'd imagine the quality would go to shit if they made it cheaper.

I got two beef fajita tacos at Las Palapas a couple of weeks ago. Over $9.

And they were shit.

Taco Palenque isn't any more "expensive" than that.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1