San Antonio

TexasHooch

I grew up in SA but haven't been back in about 20 years.  Going back with the wife and kids (8 and 10) next week for a week and am looking for ideas (mostly food but I'll take others as well).  Of particular interest for me is great Tex-Mex, a chicken fried steak, and decent BBQ (if it exists in SA- didn't when I was there).  We'll be staying on the Northwest side but will be going downtown regularly.

Bonus question:  Looks like the Gillespie county fair will be going on while we're there.  Worth a Saturday or Sunday?

I'm here a lot for work and put this list together from various sources.  I have not been to all of them yet.  As you can tell, we typically stay downtown.  I really dig "Southtown" where Maverick and Battalion are, which were both very enjoyable meals.

Bohanan's is the best meal I've had here, just expect high end steakhouse prices.

I'd like to go to more places on this list: https://www.thrillist.com/eat/san-antonio/best-restaurants-san-antonio#

Thanks for the responses.  Used to go to Tip Top a fair amount  in high school so that could be fun to revisit.  2M looks good, I just don't know if we'll find ourselves over that way unless we make a special trip.

Believe it or not, I can actually get pretty damn good interior Mex here in the Twin Cities.  What I can't get is queso flameado, or cheese enchiladas w/ chili con carne.  That's really what I'm craving above all else. 

What about the Pearl District? Is that worth a few hours and a meal?

11 minutes ago, Spoosner said:

Bohanan's is the best meal I've had here, just expect high end steakhouse prices.

Well it's consistently ranked as the best steakhouse in Texas so yeah you're going to pay for it.

Yes.  The pearl is a great place to wonder around and eat and drink.  Lots of restaurant choices and bars.  Lots of outdoors places as well if the weather is nice

Edited by midtown

11 minutes ago, Spoosner said:

I'm here a lot for work and put this list together from various sources.  I have not been to all of them yet.  As you can tell, we typically stay downtown.  I really dig "Southtown" where Maverick and Battalion are, which were both very enjoyable meals.

I was under the impression that live mariachis were required in all San Antonio commercial businesses with an employee count above 10.  Is that not the case?

32 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

What about the Pearl District? Is that worth a few hours and a meal?

Absolutely it is we really like Southerleigh as far as the restaurants go down there. My favorite Mexican is La Fonda, but yeah it's rather fancy for Mexican.

Edited by SimonBolivar

The Pearl is awesome. Go have a drink or two at the bar at Hotel Emma. When we were down there over the holidays, my parents took us to Down on Grayson. It was pretty good.

Is Chris Madrid's opened back up yet? I don't know how good the food is but The Luxury is a neat place to grab a drink and just relax along the river (short walk from Pearl). But it might be a little steamy to be outside.

3 hours ago, hornbri said:

I am going this weekend with the wife and 2 kids (3 and 6). We are staying downtown, I assume Tex-Mex is always fine with kids but fancy steak is out. 

Any places particularly good with kids in the DT area?

Rosario's and OG Blanco Cafe for Tex Mex

Schilo's (assuming it's still there, kids will love the homemade root beer)

• Like 1

I am going this weekend with the wife and 2 kids (3 and 6). We are staying downtown, I assume Tex-Mex is always fine with kids but fancy steak is out. 
Any places particularly good with kids in the DT area?

The cove is your best friend. Good beers. Great food. Playground.
  • Like 1

Lots of good recommendations here. I’m a fan of Pete’s Tako House, Garcia’s, Regio Cafe, El Milagrito, Taco Haven but I prefer Taqueria Chápala on McCulloch. La Fogata (near the north I-10 & 410 area) has great margaritas and enchiladas. 

Biga and Battalion are my favorite places downtown.

At The Pearl: Il Sogno has great Italian; La Gloria has an interesting variety of Mexican dishes and good margaritas; The Granary has decent BBQ but relatively small portions. Down on Grayson is probably a good place if you have kids (outdoor seating with space). Grayze (on Grayson St. a few blocks east of The Pearl) is solid.

Additional things: watch the bats come out from under the I-35 bridge at sunset (grab a drink or two from La Gloria, walk down to the Riverwalk and head south, grab a seat at one of the benches after the boatramp, enjoy*).

*Unless the violinist is practicing; we saw about 20 bats compared to the thousands we saw the previous week.

• 8 months later...

Can anyone help a brotha out? The wife and I will be in San Antonio this weekend, and I'm looking for some suggestions for dinner Saturday night. At this point I'm probably leaning towards Maverick, but it looks like there are lots of options out there based on posts above. I'm open to any suggestions probably other than mexican food at this point.