Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

The darts scene was the single best thing I watched during the pandemic. It was perfect television. The eyes on Ted when he delivered the "better manners when I'm holding the darts" line . And the writing genius of the "barbeque sauce" line that calls back to earlier in the episode.

Choose second best was the pandemic episode of Mythic Quest. Interesting that both were on Apple TV+ because I watched absolutely nothing else on that service.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, APMP said:

Choose second best was the pandemic episode of Mythic Quest. Interesting that both were on Apple TV+ because I watched absolutely nothing else on that service.

The pandemic episode of Mythic Quest was simply excellent.  I was surprised at how well they pulled that off, especially since it was relatively early in the pandemic.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The Athletic with a look at Jason Sudeikis's HS basketball coach, a big part of the inspiration for the Ted Lasso character.

https://theathletic.com/2430910/2021/03/15/ted-lasso-jason-sudeikis-coach-kansas/?fbpw=1&fbclid=IwAR2u6oGWIzzax-sScYTlv-pLx45EVPIbMtIh3BCYLfApm4vjKxVr4nVNpmk

When Donnie Campbell coached high school basketball, he began every practice with a quote. He pulled the words from a small quote book in his office desk at Shawnee Mission West High School, stuck them on a bulletin board, then asked his players to memorize the message. On most days, he quoted John Wooden.

Campbell was a young coach then, barely 30, and if he’s being honest, maybe he was learning, too. Thousands of high school coaches have quoted Wooden in gymnasiums across America. Thousands more have taught enthusiasm and industriousness and the Pyramid of Success. Campbell was no different, of course, no different than any other well-meaning coach trying to reach young kids, except for one point guard who happened to listen: Jason Sudeikis, the future creator and star of “Ted Lasso,” a television show about what it means to coach.

In the months after the show debuted on AppleTV+ last summer, interviewers kept asking Sudeikis about the coaches who inspired the title character, a college football coach who moves to England to lead a Premier League soccer team. He mentioned Wooden and Roy Williams and Bill Self and Pete Carroll and Steve Kerr and Jürgen Klopp — the coaches, he said, who care more about the person. But there was one other name he kept mentioning: Donnie Campbell.

He mentioned Campbell’s funny sayings and his love of Wooden. He remembered what it was like to play high school basketball.

“The Pyramid of Success,” Sudeikis said in November, on a podcast with soccer writer Grant Wahl, “(that) was something that my high school basketball coach, Donnie Campbell at Shawnee Mission West, he used to quote a lot.”

Campbell is one high school coach who made a small difference in the life of one of his players, who tried to impart the wisdom of John Wooden but sometimes failed, who could be as opposite of Ted Lasso as it gets, who stayed with Sudeikis for almost 30 years.

“Sometimes you don’t realize how you impact kids,” Campbell said. “But sometimes that’s because the words don’t impact them until they get older.”

Jason Sudeikis was a good high school basketball player. He was not a great one. He was a lefty point guard and a good three-point shooter and a classic gym rat. Mostly, he loved to play, a suburban kid with a Pistol Pete streak.

“He wasn’t a great athlete,” Campbell said, “but he understood the game.”

As a senior at Shawnee Mission West, a public school in the suburbs of Kansas City, Sudeikis averaged eight points and six assists. He loved to pass, create and set up others, once dishing out a record 26 assists in three games during a tournament in Missouri. When Brendan Curran, a former high school teammate, describes his game, he uses a familiar word: “Performer.”

“He would hold the ball just a little bit longer so he could make the no-look pass, or take the extra dribble so he could throw it behind the back,” Curran said. “That was the type of thing he loved to do.”

When Sudeikis was a junior, Campbell was in his first season at his second head coaching job. Even if you’ve never heard of Shawnee Mission West, you would know it. Big suburban high school. Loud pep band. Pageantry before games. A few years after Sudeikis graduated, the school produced Matt Freije, a future Vanderbilt star and NBA Draft pick. But mostly, the players are what you’d expect: solid high school players finishing out their basketball careers.

When Campbell started at Shawnee Mission West, he was young and intense, more Bob Knight than John Wooden. He was a bit of a yeller. He emphasized defense and discipline. He preached fundamentals. (According to Curran, Sudeikis’ showmanship could drive him crazy.)

Raised in tiny Lyons, Kan., Campbell had played football and basketball at Kansas State, where he was mentored by Jack Hartman and assistant Lon Kruger, but it was a high school coach who inspired him to teach. His name was Don Smith. He taught math, so that’s why Campbell did, too. During those early years, he developed a habit of teaching kids about John Wooden. He had a quote of the day, called on a player before practice, and if it wasn’t recited correctly, the team had to run.

“He got them from a quote book,” said Brett Hunter, a former West player. “Every single day.”

The mottoes were simple, and now basketball canon. Make each day your masterpiece. Make friendship a fine art. Drink deeply from good books. There were definitions about “competitive greatness,” “poise” and “confidence.” When I asked Campbell about Wooden, he pulled, from memory, a quote about success.

“Success is peace of mind,” he began, “that is the direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.”

Campbell could also be a character. A little folksy. The kind of coach who sounded like he grew up in rural Kansas. If a player looked too relaxed at practice, he’d offer a coke or a bag of chips. In the days before big games, he reminded players to get enough sleep: “He would tell us: ‘You can’t hoot with the owls at night and fly with the eagles in the morning,’ ” said Matt Kleinmann, who played for Campbell at Blue Valley West in the 2000s.

It was those lines, the homespun ones, that stayed with Sudeikis. In an interview last summer with The Kansas City Star, he revealed that some of that folksiness seeped into Lasso.

“He’d always say,” Sudeikis recalled, “You guys look more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.”

When Sudeikis was a senior, the Shawnee Mission West Vikings were a solid high school basketball team. They finished 11-12. Sudeikis helped them earn a berth in the eight-team Class 6A state tournament. In the days before they lost to eventual state champion Wichita South, the future Ted Lasso was interviewed by a local reporter: “We know we’re not the favorite by any means,” he said. “We don’t mind.”

In those days, Campbell says, Sudeikis was consumed by basketball. “In his second life,” Campbell said, “if he could play at Kansas, I have a feeling he’d do that.” Sudeikis wasn’t gifted enough to be a Jayhawk, but he joined a couple friends on the roster at Fort Scott Community College, spent a little time playing juco basketball, then found his second love: comedy.

The amazing part, Curran says, is how Sudeikis took what he learned in basketball and applied it to a new craft.

When Sudeikis began doing (and teaching) improv comedy, he developed a familiar habit: He started quoting John Wooden. He taught the Pyramid of Success to his pupils. He quizzed actors on the importance of industriousness and enthusiasm. He kept a small blue Wooden quote book at the ready. In the early 2000s, he purchased a copy for his friend Brendan Hunt, his future co-star on “Ted Lasso.” He told Curran to read it, too. It wasn’t about basketball, he said, it was about life.

“I’d bring in a laminated poster, like a freaking PE teacher and with a dry-erase marker,” Sudeikis told Wahl, “and just kind of go through why this matters.”

In “Lasso,” Sudeikis’ character does the same, hanging up a copy of the Pyramid of Success in his office. He coaches with empathy and kindness. At one point, he delivers a simple mission statement: “For me, success is not about the wins and losses,” Lasso tells a skeptical reporter. “It’s about helping these young fellas be the best versions of themselves on and off the field.”

The success of “Ted Lasso,” the show, has been a slow burn of sorts, spreading by word of mouth. So earlier this year, a few weeks before Sudeikis won a Golden Globe for his performance, Campbell decided he should finally watch. It has been nearly 27 years since Sudeikis played his last high school basketball game, and in the three decades since, Campbell recalls seeing him just once, at his summer camp in the early 2000s. Sudeikis showed up with Curran, who himself had become a math teacher and high school coach. Sudeikis carried along a notebook. At one point, Campbell said something, and Sudeikis jotted down a note.

“I don’t even know what it was,” Campbell said.

If you are searching for traces of Ted Lasso, you can find them everywhere. Parts of the voice come from Self. (Kleinmann, a former Kansas player, can hear it.) There are homages to Williams, Klopp and comedy mentors like Tina Fey. The Midwestern friendliness comes from Sudeikis’ father. But back in 2013, when Sudeikis first created the character for an NBC Sports soccer commercial, he told Curran the inspiration came from three sources: “He was like: ‘You know, that character really is Donnie Campbell, Bill Self, Coach Taylor from ‘Friday Night Lights,’ all thrown into one thing,’ ” Curran said.

The character continued to evolve, but there is something about the relationship with a high school coach, something formative, something you don’t realize until years later. The experiences are powerful. The memories stay with you. One word of praise can change how you see yourself. It doesn’t matter if three decades have passed.

“You think about why you really like someone,” Campbell said. “It’s not what they say about themselves. It’s what they think of you. As a coach, you’re trying to speak greatness into kids.”

When Campbell watched the first episode of “Ted Lasso,” he noted the Pyramid of Success on the wall. The same print is in his basement. When I asked him about the Wooden quotes, he mentioned the same book that Sudeikis would hand out to actors.

“There’s a little blue book,” he said. “I think I have four or five copies downstairs, boxed up.”

When he was young, Campbell said, he didn’t always feel like the kind of coach one might compare to Ted Lasso. Truthfully, he was probably more like Knight. But the longer he coached and the longer he taught, the more he gravitated toward the principles of Wooden.

“I think it’s all about how hard you work,” Campbell said, “and trying to do the right thing, and being a good teammate, and being honest. I think the kids know if you care.”

When Campbell thinks about Sudeikis’ high school basketball career, he just remembers the basics. This was nearly 30 years ago, and nobody knew the heady point guard was going to be a TV star. If anything, Campbell remembers Sudeikis’ class, the group of friends who made coaching fun, the high school kids who had successful lives. It’s possible even that Sudeikis remembers more about Campbell than the other way around. If you think about it for a moment, it seems exactly how it should be.

“I think Jason knew that even though I was a tough coach, and a demanding coach, deep down, I really cared about them and wanted them to be successful,” Campbell said. “Not just as a basketball player but more importantly as a human being.

“That’s why we coach.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

no Jamie Tartt in the preview.  hmmmm. 

Well, they have been relegated. Jamie hasn't. I wouldn't rule out him showing up in bits, but this is a whole new world for Richmond. I mean who doesn't eat sugar that isn't diabetic?

52 minutes ago, RPM said:

Well, they have been relegated. Jamie hasn't. I wouldn't rule out him showing up in bits, but this is a whole new world for Richmond. I mean who doesn't eat sugar that isn't diabetic?

Who put the army man down on the table? Remember Ted gave Jamie one after the last match. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Who put the army man down on the table? Remember Ted gave Jamie one after the last match. 

Was it the same army man? Serious question, I have no idea but that might be a stellar egg find.

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Were you raised by wolves?

You buy those army men by the hundreds, and you'll get 20 of them each in 10 different poses.  

Yeah, that's why I asked if it was the same one. Could just be a different one.

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

I think I spotted Nottingham Forest as their opponent in a match. Being in the Championship will be a fun bit as some think it's more competitive and has better action than the EPL. 

This is where I wished we were getting more than 12 episodes to go through both how Promotion and Playoffs work, and then also the FA Cup. And its probably to late to throw out a little Super League shade as well. 

On 4/20/2021 at 12:00 PM, RPM said:

I liked the bit about Santa Monicans.  

13 hours ago, shnsajax said:

This is where I wished we were getting more than 12 episodes to go through both how Promotion and Playoffs work, and then also the FA Cup. And its probably to late to throw out a little Super League shade as well. 

Yeah, the show isn't really about soccer. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 2:06 PM, mdmost said:

I think I spotted Nottingham Forest as their opponent in a match. Being in the Championship will be a fun bit as some think it's more competitive and has better action than the EPL. 

Do you know how we know you are a soccer dork?  Kidding.  Great show and can not wait.

• 5 weeks later...

I just watched a few episodes. I'm not reading the rest of this thread cuz I don't want to get spoiled.

Wow! I did not expect this show to be this good, this funny, this subtle, and this well written. Based on the premise for some reason I was expecting it to have a similar tone and humor as Letterkenny, which after watching 1 episode I didn't care for (although I might give it a another chance some other time). It's nothing like that at all.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ajax said:

I just watched a few episodes. I'm not reading the rest of this thread cuz I don't want to get spoiled.

Wow! I did not expect this show to be this good, this funny, this subtle, and this well written. Based on the premise for some reason I was expecting it to have a similar tone and humor as Letterkenny, which after watching 1 episode I didn't care for (although I might give it a another chance some other time). It's nothing like that at all.

tenor.gif?itemid=18582845

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ajax said:

spacer.png

21 hours ago, ajax said:

image.gif.3c5404bb84a52d13350d9dc51e534c61.gif

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

I got inspired to do a second viewing of Season 1.  Halfway thorough and it's even better than the first time.   This show is fucking brilliant. 

Same.  I finished the first season in about 3 days and rewatched it the next day.

4 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I got inspired to do a second viewing of Season 1.  Halfway thorough and it's even better than the first time.   This show is fucking brilliant. 

A lot of little things to catch on a second viewing. 

I had never noticed during the Diamond Dogs scene when they have given advice to Roy and all start barking, Ted is doing the "happy dog" pant. Killed me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/23/2021 at 7:05 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

"Now, hold on one second. So if you come in last place in the Premier League, you get to play in the Championship?"
"They also invented irony."

I seriously think about that line once a week and laugh to myself.

As someone who knows nothing about soccer I had the same thought as Ted.

On 4/21/2021 at 10:29 PM, C-Man said:

This get posted yet?

Binged the series the past few nights.  I laughed out loud. At other moments my house must have been extra dusty because my allergies flared up something fierce.  What a brilliant, brilliant, series. Bring on season two.  Now to find an AFC Richmond home kit and maybe a scarf.