Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 7:31 PM, shadow_operative said:

also, Jack Wilshere + Robin van Persie = Jamie Tartt.

bdbda919fd01d7f0689f8e39b4f451c2.jpg

+

12028df2534d4342987c7400b5993b1c.jpg

=

26fd5dc3f7224eb7f27a40100f086b4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i may have some Southampton bias... but i thought he looked a lot like Dusan Tadic.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Du%...

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 11:53 AM, Js1 said:

Apple TV, Hulu and Disney+ are fully on the "drop 2 episodes to start, then weekly after that" train

And yet we pay for it.  

pretty sure starting with s2, it's 1 a week.  meaning one tomorrow, and one next friday, and so forth, like prehistoric fucking animals.

russia, if you're listening, can you please hack apple and spill the episodes onto the torrent sites.  kthx.

• Haha 2

On 7/2/2021 at 12:33 PM, shadow_operative said:

iirc, it was like 10 minutes into the pilot when he slipped in the, "no question will be into touch" line, and i knew right then that this show was going to be good. 

there were a few moments in the pilot like that for me as well.

one that sticks out from the first couple episodes is when he's talking to nate, and nate is like, "here, my niece made it, she loves crafts."  and ted is like, "and i love special glimpses into your personal life."

it doesn't seem like much, but from a writing perspective, to turn a phrase like that, and also give backstory and depth to two different characters, as well as their relationship with each other, it's hard to do.  

this show has some really goofy recurring jokes with wordplay, and they almost miss on some of them, but they manage to pull them out.  those are a little cheap, but the characters are so good that i don't mind them at all.  but anyone can do that shit.  the way they have built the lasso character and made everyone react to him is brilliant. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

there were a few moments in the pilot like that for me as well.

one that sticks out from the first couple episodes is when he's talking to nate, and nate is like, "here, my niece made it, she loves crafts."  and ted is like, "and i love special glimpses into your personal life."

it doesn't seem like much, but from a writing perspective, to turn a phrase like that, and also give backstory and depth to two different characters, as well as their relationship with each other, it's hard to do.  

this show has some really goofy recurring jokes with wordplay, and they almost miss on some of them, but they manage to pull them out.  those are a little cheap, but the characters are so good that i don't mind them at all.  but anyone can do that shit.  the way they have built the lasso character and made everyone react to him is brilliant. 

Agree that the writing is beyond difficult.

This is a premise and show that could have and usually would have failed.  Instead it is brilliant.  20 Emmy nods, deserved.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think I'll rewatch leading up to S2.  Something I NEVER do.  It's just so easy to appreciate.

I never rewatch shows, but I’ve taken to watching random TL episodes when I don’t find anything else interesting (an immensely stupid determination given the sheer quantity now available, but frankly I’m often too lazy to research what’s new)

I just flipped through a bunch of scenes from the back half of the season to get hype and this show is phenomenal.

It has humor and positivity, but isn't afraid to get serious when needed, like Ted's panic attack and the divorce scenes.  Top notch all the way around.

it's the smallest little lines that get me to actually laugh out loud.

"Ok, way to run out there today fellas. You guys are much faster than me. Except for Coach Beard- what's going on, i thought you ran track in high school or something?"

"Chess team, Coach. Illinois state champs baby."

"Illinois is a state fellas."

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Ted Lasso S2 E1 thoughts 

•not as funny as the S1 episodes 

•lot of telegraphed jokes

•Nate is like a different person 

•liking the new sports psychologist lady 

not the greatest episode ever; probably not even worth watching again, at least not as a one-off viewing, but i still enjoyed it. i will say though that it just felt different. i rewatched S1 over the last two days, so it's fresh in my mind, and this episode felt more formulaic, more familiar (in a bad way). i didn't feel that trademark Ted Lasso charm and sense of whimsy. felt more like the usual fare from big cable network sitcoms. still, i'm highly invested in the show and it's characters. super bummed that i have to wait a week for each one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Ted Lasso S2 E1 thoughts 

•not as funny as the S1 episodes 

•lot of telegraphed jokes

•Nate is like a different person 

•liking the new sports psychologist lady 

not the greatest episode ever; probably not even worth watching again, at least not as a one-off viewing, but i still enjoyed it. i will say though that it just felt different. i rewatched S1 over the last two days, so it's fresh in my mind, and this episode felt more formulaic, more familiar (in a bad way). i didn't feel that trademark Ted Lasso charm and sense of whimsy. felt more like the usual fare from big cable network sitcoms. still, i'm highly invested in the show and it's characters. super bummed that i have to wait a week for each one. 

starting the season off with dog murder...was a bold move. not sure it paid off. 

agree that confident nate needs some tweaking. the rest just seemed like “trailer jokes”, and none of the trailers were that funny. 

some setup with the boss, and with jamie, so guess we’ll see. not worried. 

5 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Agree with the above. Felt forced. It was like Ted Lasso doing a Ted Lasso impression. No natural flow.

This. Ted was trying to hard to be Ted. It felt like the writers jammed a full season’s worth of Lassoisms into a single episode.

And the characters interacted with each other as if they all binged the first season twice through. The way the management team greeted Ted, the media room’s reaction to Trent Crimm, etc. were more consistent with an audience returning to see their favorite characters in a sequel than actual characters with a presumed off-screen existence. 

Given the weird numeric coincidence noted above and the general surrealism of S2E1, I wonder if we watched a dream sequence or something. 

• Hook 'Em 2